Why become a member? ×

**WITHDRAWN** - Fender USA Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass
£1250

LewisK1975

Not sure about this one but I have my Flea jazz up for sale too, so we'll see how things go.

USA Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2015. Serial # US15099634

Purchased from Bass Direct by me last year.

Interesting story to this one. The keen eyed among you will notice that this bass has Black blocks and binding, unlike the normal USA model, which has cream blocks and binding.

I contacted Fender about this before buying and ended up with the following reply from Bryce Wells (is there a more american sounding name?)

[i]Hey Lewis,[/i]
[i]So, the general consensus on this one is quite interesting![/i]
[i]What happened here was a factory mess up. Everything lines up, everything looks correct. The Limited Edition Crimson Red featured the neck on the one in question, so we think that they put this neck on a black body. A factory mess up, but created something cool and definitely one of a kind.[/i]
[i]Like I said, everything appears genuine, so I'd say that's a pretty rare thing to come across![/i]
[i]Hope this helps![/i]
[i]Cheers,[/i]
[i]Bryce Wells
Consumer Relations Representative
Fender Musical
Instruments Corp.
17600 N. Perimeter Dr., Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ
(480) 845-5137[/i]

So when they had the special run of 100 crimson red USA Geddy signature Basses going through the factory, someone bolted a neck for one of those onto a black body.

Everything checks out, nothing 'dodgy' about it's heritage. Just giving full disclosure...here's a link to a page about the crimson red model - [url="https://reverb.com/uk/item/1862464-fender-jazz-bass-geddy-lee-rush-limited-2015-crimson-red"]https://reverb.com/u...015-crimson-red[/url] You can see in the pictures for the bass in that link that the serial number is 2 digits away from mine..

Here's the pictures from the Bass Direct Website, I'm happy to take more if anyone wants them. Case and all tags etc included.

[attachment=240544:geddyfront.jpg]

[attachment=240545:geddyback.jpg]

[attachment=240546:geddytop.jpg]

[attachment=240547:geddyrear.jpg]

[attachment=240548:geddyhead.jpg]

[attachment=240549:geddyheadback.jpg]

[attachment=240550:Geddycase.jpg]

I also found this on youtube, it's NOT ME. But it is the Bass, must be the previous owner. Just posting so you can have an idea of the sound.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47HYzQ5PMNo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=47HYzQ5PMNo[/url]

I'm based in the Bridgend area of South Wales but I'm happy to meet up within reason.

Cash is preferred, offers invited! As with most things I put up for sale, trades will be considered, not looking for anything in particular as long as it's Bass related.

Feel free to ask any questions. Cheers.

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1489567848' post='3257916']
I remember when you first spotted this at BD and I really didn't expect to see this come up for sale again. Seriously tempted, but not the right time for me to buy another J.

It doesn't make it clear whether you are prepared to ship it. I'm hoping not!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm 50/50 myself to be honest. It's got a hardcase so shipping would be possible, but I'd really prefer a meet up.

I think the bass looks cooler with black blocks anyway! :)
Looks a great bass Lewis - in a way, it's a shame to sell something of a one-off, especially if you have the background tale from Fender themselves... Doesn't that make it more collectible or rare? Anyhow - you can't sell this one AND your Flea Jazz bass too! I thought you really liked the Flea, or has the novelty worn off? Or have you spotted something else? Is your GAS never ending? lol :)

GLWTS - but don't sell - keep it ;)

EDIT: I suspect that like me, you just bought a load of basses you really liked... then realised you have way too many! lol

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1489574646' post='3258003']
Sounds a bit smooth on that video, I assume it's capable of that Geddy-esque growl and clank that we all know and (some of us) love!?
[/quote]

Oh yes it's absolutely capable of the Geddy-esque tone! I think he might have even rolled the tone off in that video! And he's certainly got a soft touch..

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1489568702' post='3257925']
I think the bass looks cooler with black blocks anyway! :)
Looks a great bass Lewis - in a way, it's a shame to sell something of a one-off, especially if you have the background tale from Fender themselves... Doesn't that make it more collectible or rare? Anyhow - you can't sell this one AND your Flea Jazz bass too! I thought you really liked the Flea, or has the novelty worn off? Or have you spotted something else? Is your GAS never ending? lol :)

GLWTS - but don't sell - keep it ;)

EDIT: I suspect that like me, you just bought a load of basses you really liked... then realised you have way too many! lol
[/quote]

Cheers Marc, haven't really been overbuying, just reached a point where I have 4 Jazz Basses. And don't really play them, except for the occasional noodle at home. Even shifting this and the Flea would still leave me with my '75 and my Roadworn, so I'll never be short of a good Jazz should the need arise....no real GAS for anything at the moment, Weird!

4 Jazzes? OK - I'll let you off this time mate. But you haven't had the Flea sig too long.... so might be good to keep it? Or do you prefer the Roadworn? If I had to sell one of my 2 Jazzes, I must admit, I wouldn't know which one to sell. I love the RW and the Flea...

I have a Squier Classic Vibe P bass (now P/J'ed) which I really really like. I don't need it - I tend to gig with my RW P. I sold a Squier CV P bass once, as I thought I had too many - I instantly regretted it, and hankered for another one. So when one came up locally, several moths later - I had to have it! :o EDIT: Now the CV's have been discontinued a little while, I'm not seeing many come up for sale second-hand - especially like mine, in Fiesta Red

I'm just sayin' - beware of selling basses you really like. This Geddy Lee Jazz is a nice looking bass, and as it's something of a rarity - you might regret selling something you find hard to replace. Oh dear - not only do I find it hard to part with a nice bass, I'm advising others not to as well ;)

Edited by Marc S

Duly noted and much appreciated Marc, I definitely prefer my Roadworn to the Flea, mainly due to the neck dimensions, the RW is more U shaped and feels better to me. Otherwise they are very similar Basses (my RW even came modded with stacked pots).

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1489588884' post='3258192']
I'm just sayin' - beware of selling basses you really like. This Geddy Lee Jazz is a nice looking bass, and as it's something of a rarity - you might regret selling something you find hard to replace. Oh dear - not only do I find it hard to part with a nice bass, I'm advising others not to as well ;)
[/quote]

I am laughing but it is sage advice nonetheless. I am really 50/50 on it, and if the Flea sells quickly, I'll most likely withdraw this...