Why become a member? Ɨ

New U-Bass day

linear

I picked up a new Countryman U-Bass at the weekend with the idea of taking it along to open-mic nights to accompany a banjo playing friend. However, I'm having a few issues with it.

The A string buzzes against the board when played at the low frets no matter how gently I play. I made sure I was fretting well behind the fret as some suggest, but as it is it's unusable, I think. Putting a paper shim under the string at the bridge end does help, so I guess a wedge shaped wooden shim under the piezo bridge would be one way to fix it? I don't know if that's a good idea though, or if it's even possible. (no truss rod on these that I can see)

The other, lesser, issue is that the E and A strings seem to lack punch compared to the higher tension D and G which sound lovely. Nothing I did on the preamp eq or at the amp end seemed to help with this. Maybe through a PA it wouldn't be an issue though, I don't know.

So, I'm kind of in two minds as to whether to keep it or take it back. Am I expecting too much from such a budget instrument? I'm sure with a bit of fettling and eq it could be okay, but I keep thinking it would be better to take it back and keep looking until I find one that I'm happier with.

Thoughts?

Edited by linear

Take it back mate if your not happy with it. if you don't you'll regret keeping it and it best to have one you really like instead of making do I've done this countless times in the past with basses and ended up selling them at a loss ,getting caught in the moment I think they call it as for shimming and such I wouldn't have a clue , hope you get sorted either way šŸ‘
All the best
Kev

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1489518381' post='3257634']
Have you looked inside the soundhole for the truss-rod adjustment? My HB 's was located in there and I sorted the buzzes via that route.
[/quote]

I've had a look, but all I can see is a piece of top bracing that abuts the heel of the neck. Had a feel behind/under that with my fingers, but I can't find anything. I reckon a little more relief on the neck could do wonders for it, as there's next to none at the moment.

I think I shall have to concede defeat and return it. It's a shame as it intonates pretty well, even at the higher frets, and it looks really pretty too.

Thanks for all the advice,

I took it back and traded up to a Kala fretless. I had a good play with it in the shop and am much happier, although my wallet somewhat less so I guess :)

Edited by linear