Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 & 500 big price difference, why?

Osiris

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1489854412' post='3260372']
It's not Mesa, it's Westside distribution that set the price.. Just bring one in from the US, they have universal power supplies...

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubwayD800"]https://www.sweetwat...tail/SubwayD800[/url]

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubwayD800P"]https://www.sweetwat...ail/SubwayD800P[/url]
[/quote]

Regardless of who made the decision to up the price by that much, I still think it's a ridiculous move. More so because I was looking to potentially buy one this weekend pending a successful trial. The fact that this has also been applied to existing stock makes it very difficult for me to see the motivation behind it as anything other than avarice.

The idea of importing one directly from the states is worth considering, a crude calculation (price in dollars converted by today's online exchange rate, plus an additional 20% to cover import duty) comes in at under £700. Plus shipping costs too. Are there any other costs that I'd need to factor in? Do you have any idea if the warranty would still be valid if I was to import one directly?

You could always make PMT an offer at the old price if you like the amp. They probably bought the stock in before the price hike, are being told what price to advertise by the distributor, but have total freedom to sell at whatever price they like.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1489909057' post='3260649']
You could always make PMT an offer at the old price if you like the amp. They probably bought the stock in before the price hike, are being told what price to advertise by the distributor, but have total freedom to sell at whatever price they like.
[/quote]

I called them yesterday afternoon to ask about the possibility of buying it at the old price but they said that they couldn't now sell it for that. And you're right, this is a pre price rise amp. Unfortunately they were a little vague as to why they couldn't sell it at the old price point. [size=4]The guy I spoke to was very helpful and almost [/size][size=4]apologetic about the rise but after speaking to the manager he said they just couldn't do it. I got the feeling that their hands are tied, but by who, I can only speculate. [/size]

[size=4]So I'm now back to pondering over a Tone Hammer 350 but am also keeping my options open for something a bit higher powered but still sensibly priced. Fortunately I'm in no immediate hurry so I'm going to take my time and try as many different amps as I can to make sure I get something that's right for me. [/size]

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1489905131' post='3260642']
Regardless of who made the decision to up the price by that much, I still think it's a ridiculous move. More so because I was looking to potentially buy one this weekend pending a successful trial. The fact that this has also been applied to existing stock makes it very difficult for me to see the motivation behind it as anything other than avarice.

The idea of importing one directly from the states is worth considering, a crude calculation (price in dollars converted by today's online exchange rate, plus an additional 20% to cover import duty) comes in at under £700. Plus shipping costs too. Are there any other costs that I'd need to factor in? Do you have any idea if the warranty would still be valid if I was to import one directly?
[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing with you....

You'll need to budget 25% for VAT and duty. plus $50 or so for shipping (which they'll add VAT to)..

Any warranty issues will need to be resolved by the supplying US dealer..

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1489919807' post='3260760']
I'm not disagreeing with you....

You'll need to budget 25% for VAT and duty. plus $50 or so for shipping (which they'll add VAT to)..

Any warranty issues will need to be resolved by the supplying US dealer..
[/quote]

I didn't think that you were disagreeing with me, you were clarifying that Mesa may not necessarily have control over the recent rise which is more helpful than my response may have suggested. I can see how the reply that you have quoted above can read as being on the defensive side, apologies if it came across as a bit arsey as that was not my intention :)[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Thanks for the information regarding importing from the states. I'll look into it and give it some thought.[/size]

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1489929582' post='3260851']
I didn't think that you were disagreeing with me, you were clarifying that Mesa may not necessarily have control over the recent rise which is more helpful than my response may have suggested. I can see how the reply that you have quoted above can read as being on the defensive side, apologies if it came across as a bit arsey as that was not my intention :)

Thanks for the information regarding importing from the states. I'll look into it and give it some thought.
[/quote]

No probs.. The D800+ looks well worth the extra $100...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1489931103' post='3260867']
You might have issues if you need a repair under warranty if importing one. If you're not bothered about warranty, just buy used!
[/quote]

Unfortunately I had a bad experience with buying a used amp a few years ago, it died mid gig a couple of weeks after I received it :([size=4] even though it was supposedly only a couple of months old, so I'd rather pay the premium on a new amp and have the peace of mind of a valid warranty - just in case. No doubt I was unlucky last time but once bitten....[/size]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1489576960' post='3258032']
If I was in the market for a new amp, I would choose the Genzler Magellan - £675.
[/quote]

I hadn't really considered the Magellan. A mate of mine had one of the Gens Benz heads a while ago (I don't remember which model) but I always felt that it had an unpleasant bump in the mids that was difficult to dial out without radically eq'ing the amp. But he played it through Mark Bass cabs which seem to have a reputation for a low mid bump, so maybe it was the cabs, or maybe the amp and cab just didn't work well together? Dunno. But it had initially put me off the Magellan.

And for the record, I like to have the mids present in my tone :)[size=4] [/size]

However, the Magellan has got rave reviews all round so I'm happy to try it and see what I think. A few people have said that it can get that warm, vintage tone that I like, similar to the Tone Hammer. And it looks to be a lot more versatile than the TH too. The specs and features are broadly similar to the Subway but the Mag' is £200 cheaper. Tempting....

Do you have one, or have you ever played through one? I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1489950295' post='3261043']

I hadn't really considered the Magellan. A mate of mine had one of the Gens Benz heads a while ago (I don't remember which model) but I always felt that it had an unpleasant bump in the mids that was difficult to dial out without radically eq'ing the amp. But he played it through Mark Bass cabs which seem to have a reputation for a low mid bump, so maybe it was the cabs, or maybe the amp and cab just didn't work well together? Dunno. But it had initially put me off the Magellan.

And for the record, I like to have the mids present in my tone :)[size=4] [/size]

However, the Magellan has got rave reviews all round so I'm happy to try it and see what I think. A few people have said that it can get that warm, vintage tone that I like, similar to the Tone Hammer. And it looks to be a lot more versatile than the TH too. The specs and features are broadly similar to the Subway but the Mag' is £200 cheaper. Tempting....

Do you have one, or have you ever played through one? I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
[/quote]

Unfortunately not, I just love the Genz gear and have two amps and a cab by them so if I needed to, personally I'd try a Genzler 😊

This is depressing about the Mesa pricing. It seems to me that the formula which distributors apply is this:

Take US pricing. Remove dollar sign from the front and replace with a pound sign. Add £200 to whatever the number was.

Tech 21 are another example of this syndrome and why their stuff is a bit pricey over here rather in New York. Their distributor is screwing us and the shops have no option but to pass the cost on to us.

The joys of middlemen 20%'ing tosspots.

I'm sure we all know why the prices jump (it shall not be named) - they can't change the dealer price every day to reflect the fx so they absorb the difference & bump it periodically instead, this does make it look like a big jump but really you should spread it across the period since the last hike. If you want new american stuff buy sooner rather than later as the prices are only going to go one was for the foreseeable future.

Saying that, I would still try the Mesa - if you like it going into a smaller independent music shop will yield better results in haggling (assuming you're half decent at it). I wouldn't mention the old price, I'd just offer what I thought was a fair price & go from there (that fair price could be the old price if you think that was fair). Even the managers at chain music stores are just slaves to the computer - the smaller the shop, the more wriggle room there is in pricing.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1489950295' post='3261043']

And for the record, I like to have the mids present in my tone :)

[/quote]

I have a Magellan, the last in a long line of amps including Mesas, MB, TH500, Genz, TC, Ashdown, GK you name it. Well, eleven or so. :)

The Magellan's the best of the lot, there's a very wide sweep of tones available in there, and the dual channel thing means you can have two set a button push apart. For me, it's the best of the Shuttles (without the slightly brittle edge) and the Streamliner (without the huuuuge bloomy bottom end). It might not have any tubes in there, but it does warm and tubey and cool and precise very very well.

The power amp has a lot more than the TH500 I had for a while, too - it's got some real...well, I'm reluctant to use the H word, but there's a weight and authority to the notes, and a response to how you play them that I thought was lacking in the TH500 (amongst other amps). I have a Walkabout, too, and it's a toss-up as to which one I gig. Saturday night it was the Magellan, and I didn't regret it. :)

Looking at Bass Direct prices, it's £170 cheaper than the Subway, and for that money it's got to be worth trying. You could A-B them at Bass Direct... :)

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1490004447' post='3261321']
I have a Magellan, the last in a long line of amps including Mesas, MB, TH500, Genz, TC, Ashdown, GK you name it. Well, eleven or so. :)

The Magellan's the best of the lot, there's a very wide sweep of tones available in there, and the dual channel thing means you can have two set a button push apart. For me, it's the best of the Shuttles (without the slightly brittle edge) and the Streamliner (without the huuuuge bloomy bottom end). It might not have any tubes in there, but it does warm and tubey and cool and precise very very well.

The power amp has a lot more than the TH500 I had for a while, too - it's got some real...well, I'm reluctant to use the H word, but there's a weight and authority to the notes, and a response to how you play them that I thought was lacking in the TH500 (amongst other amps). I have a Walkabout, too, and it's a toss-up as to which one I gig. Saturday night it was the Magellan, and I didn't regret it. :)

Looking at Bass Direct prices, it's £170 cheaper than the Subway, and for that money it's got to be worth trying. You could A-B them at Bass Direct... :)
[/quote]

Cheers, that's a really helpful summary :)
The Magellan looks like it could well be the one - until I change my mind again in a few minutes :D

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1489911793' post='3260670']
I called them yesterday afternoon to ask about the possibility of buying it at the old price but they said that they couldn't now sell it for that. And you're right, this is a pre price rise amp. Unfortunately they were a little vague as to why they couldn't sell it at the old price point. [size=4]The guy I spoke to was very helpful and almost [/size][size=4]apologetic about the rise but after speaking to the manager he said they just couldn't do it. I got the feeling that their hands are tied, but by who, I can only speculate. [/size]
[/quote]

Strange. Maybe the manager doesn't have the power to overule head office or something. Shops are free to sell at whatever price they want although advertised prices are generally consistant across different shops and would reflect any fresh stock ordered.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1490517984' post='3265568']
More companies jumping on the 'brexit' philosophy and raising prices. There is no justification for raising the price of items that are already in stock :(. I hate big business!
[/quote]

Not quite right.

Some don't actually pay the maker / distributors until the item is sold., and the contracts state it will the price at the sale time, not when the stock was received. Up until sale the item still being owned my makers or distributors and not the shop.

I don't know if that is the case with Mesa & Westside, but it is more common than you think. If the shop goes bust it stops the gear going in the cheap fire sale.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1490517560' post='3265565']
Westside are well known for controlling prices.

And they won't warranty repair non EU (soon to be non U.K.) bought items, they are non even keen on U.K. Items outside of the warranty period.

And Mesa won't release schematics to help local techs do non-warranty repairs.
[/quote]

That's absolutely outrageous! What a bunch of tossers! Maybe they went to the same customer service school that educated most of the Rickenbacker and Gibson upper management.....

If that's true, I'm never buying a Mesa product ever if they won't repair it out of warranty or if I bought it in the States to avoid them ripping me off.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1490517560' post='3265565']
Westside are well known for controlling prices.

And they won't warranty repair non EU (soon to be non U.K.) bought items, they are non even keen on U.K. Items outside of the warranty period.

And Mesa won't release schematics to help local techs do non-warranty repairs.
[/quote]

Yup me, I'll never ever buy Mesa gear based on the above.
They don't deserve anyone's hard earned money.

Eude

Well, I made it to bass direct at the weekend and A/B'd a number of amps through my own cab. [size=4]The Genzler Magellan 800 was the one that I ended up taking home.[/size]

Much as I loved the tone of the Mesa Subway 800, in light of the above, all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't buy it :lol:

I'll try and get a NAD thread going for the Magellan once I've had more time to put it through its paces.

Edited by Osiris

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1490641751' post='3266739']
Well, I made it to bass direct at the weekend and A/B'd a number of amps through my own cab. [size=4]The Genzler Magellan 800 was the one that I ended up taking home.[/size]

Much as I loved the tone of the Mesa Subway 800, in light of the above, all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't buy it :lol:

I'll try and get a NAD thread going for the Magellan once I've had more time to put it through its paces.
[/quote]

Excellent choice, and a very reasonably priced amp. You will also get stellar service should you ever need it from Mr Genzler himself.