How To Start Your Own Band

74 replies to this topic

#61 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts
  • Interests:Keeping real rock alive especially live performance.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

I also contend that when recruiting and your offering paying gigs upfront you can be picky. Recent and relevant gigging experience would be required.

Now, I think this method of putting a band together would scare away flakes, but I'm not sure. I would say always have your "flake out meter" on.

Blue

#62 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Next step, would you advertise this opportunity publicly or privately?

What would your ad look like I'd you were to go the public route?

Blue

Edited by blue, 17 March 2017 - 08:42 PM.

#63 gjones

Yer only as good as yer drummer.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

First get competent musicians. There's no point in bringing in an inexperience singer/drummer/guitarist, if you want to gig ASAP.

Make sure they have commitment to the project and it's goals (It's no fun trying to herd cats).

Decide on set list.

If the musicians are competent it will take less than a month's committed, rehearsals to get them ready for the first gig.

Hey presto you have a good, gigging, band.
My Feedback http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=gjones

Fender Jazz, J-retro, GK MB500, Barefaced Compact

#64 Beer of the Bass

I ought to be practicing really...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

I've just ended up agreeing to play in a band which has not rehearsed yet but has a gig booked already. I thought that was an entertaining way to go about things. It's the side-project of a friend I've played with on and off for years and various others from semi-overlapping projects. The first rehearsal is arranged for a date one week before the gig, so she must have some confidence in us!

#65 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

gjones, on 17 March 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

First get competent musicians. There's no point in bringing in an inexperience singer/drummer/guitarist, if you want to gig ASAP.

Appropriate members is a given, in this exercise we don't gig ASAP.

It will take this band with full productio 6 months or September when the first of the 12 initial gigs are booked to be ready.

Blue

Edited by blue, 17 March 2017 - 09:01 PM.

#66 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:55 AM

Just a story on recruiting.

Some of you know my band lost a really good drummer who had been with us for over 2 years.

My preference was to advertise for a drummer and hold auditions. It was met with opposition.

We ended up with 2 drummers that we rotate for gigs.

My point, I was wrong. Advertising publicly would have taken forever and we would have had to deal with flakes.

We ended up with a guy we found at an open mic and another was a friend who plays drums for a living who had Aretha Franklin in his resume.

Both are now at the point where they're getting comfortable with our material.

My point and what I learned, it's a pain in the arse to do auditions open to the public.

Blue

#67 peteb

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

The thing to remember is that there is no one magic solution and no one size fits all.

The singer in one of my bands was ‘discovered’ singing along to the jukebox on NYE in a pub! The guitar player and drummer were talking about starting a band and who could they get to sing when guitar player noticed that a drunk guy had been singing along to ‘Living On A Prayer’ at some volume and had hit all the high notes and seemed to have rather a good voice. The drummer went and asked him if he was in a band to be told that he never had been but had always wanted to give it a go. They asked me to get involved a few weeks later and I was sceptical about how he would fare in a band with experienced musos, but after 30 seconds of hearing him sing it was obvious that he would be more than OK. It turns out that he had been onstage all his life (ex-professional dancer) but they didn’t know that at the time they met him. The guy is a natural and has very quickly made a real name for himself on the local scene, but we would never have found him going through the normal channels!

I wouldn’t want to hold public auditions, but would certainly post on Facebook (which is now The Shires got together) as well looking at jam nights / open mics and asking friends if they were available or knew anybody.
Xotic XJ-1T 4 / Fender USA Precision RI57 / Fender Am Std Jazz Bass (modded) / Warwick Streamer Stage 1 > Mesa Boogie Mpulse > Bergantino HS410 / Mark Bass CMD 102 combo

Rhythm Zoo: http://www.rhythmzoo.com/

BALLS TO THE WALL: https://www.facebook.com/pages/BALLS-TO-THE-WALL/583236095093972?fref=ts

Feedback here: http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1315242

#68 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts
  • Interests:Clause wrangling

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Are we up to step 3 yet? Or are we still on step 2?

Just wondering.

#69 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:04 AM

skankdelvar, on 18 March 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

Are we up to step 3 yet? Or are we still on step 2?

Just wondering.

I think the main point has been made.

An "out of the box" method for mitigating new band implotion. Booking the gigs before you actually have a band.

It won't work in all circumstances, but it's something to think about.

Any other closing comments?

Blue

#70 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Postblue, on 19 March 2017 - 02:04 AM, said:

Any other closing comments?

Blue

I very much like the idea of booking the gigs first. Just now wondering what's the (hypothetical) plan for the six months between now and the first gig and will it involve fittings for stage costumes?

#71 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

skankdelvar, on 19 March 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

I very much like the idea of booking the gigs first. Just now wondering what's the (hypothetical) plan for the six months between now and the first gig and will it involve fittings for stage costumes?

Hopefully you now have a sound group of individuals that are on board with whatever the goals of the band are.

Because, ideally you have top notch veterans that understand how to be in a band you won't be dealing with silly egoes and silly drama.

And most important , in theory this band will be intact and ready to gig in September with no turnover.

Blue

Edited by blue, 19 March 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#72 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

View Postblue, on 19 March 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

Hopefully you now have a sound group of individuals that are on board with whatever the goals of the band are.

Because, ideally you have top notch veterans that understand how to be in a band you won't be dealing with silly egoes and silly drama.

And most important , in theory this band will be intact and ready to gig in September with no turnover.

Blue

Absolutely agree that a strong foundation is the way forward. :)

I'm just interested in how one might productively spend those six months. Let's say that's 24 weekly meet-ups to get an initial groove going, trial different material, routine the songs, sequence a set, work on presentation.

How would you balance those different tasks and what do you think is most important?

#73 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

skankdelvar, on 19 March 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

Absolutely agree that a strong foundation is the way forward. :)

I'm just interested in how one might productively spend those six months. Let's say that's 24 weekly meet-ups to get an initial groove going, trial different material, routine the songs, sequence a set, work on presentation.

How would you balance those different tasks and what do you think is most important?

Well, personally I'm big on a band leader making most key decisions.

I would expect the BL to come up with a set list as well as what the structure of the rehearsals would be. For example the BL might dedicate some rehearsals to vocals only.

Blue

#74 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

View Postblue, on 20 March 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

Well, personally I'm big on a band leader making most key decisions.

I would expect the BL to come up with a set list as well as what the structure of the rehearsals would be. For example the BL might dedicate some rehearsals to vocals only.

Blue

That makes sense.

#75 blue

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

skankdelvar, on 21 March 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

That makes sense.

I'm real big on separation when it comes to rehearsal whether it be vocals or instrumental.

At rehearsal it's not unusual for me to request working out a part with just me and the drummer.

Blue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users