Why become a member? ×

:::SOLD::: 1981 Pre-Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray / Trade Lakland
£1700

ElectroNaut

Hi

Up for sale or trade is my 1981 pre-Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray.

I purchased this new back in 1981 (I have been the only owner) and would now like to sell or trade for a Lakland 44-94 or 44-02 (maple board).

Ok a little background/history on me and the Ray. Back in 1979 when I was 18 I worked for the Mecca/Rank Organisation as a resident musician. After using a pre-CBS P bass for a few years I just had to get a Stingray and purchased it new in 1980. At the time it was a game changer (I ran it through an Ampeg SVT 8x10 rig) and over time it defined the player I was. Man I loved this bass. In 83 I left to do cruises, sessions, theatre gigs and residencies all over. The Ray was my only bass and has done literally thousands of gigs/shows. I stopped playing professionally in 2004 and since then the Ray has not been used.

I always took great care of her and she went everywhere with me - never left in the van, never left in the cold A/C or heat. It's never had any replacement parts, modifications, repairs or hard knocks. It's a gem and just seems to sound better every year. It's now 37 years old.

About the Ray.

4 bolt string through body - Serial number B020726

It's very very clean given its age. The body coat is original, no cracks, blemishes or splits. All original. Some hardware is aged like the strap buttons and the treble/bass knobs and some of the pick guard screws. Wouldn't take anything to get this back to as new but why would you?

There are no dead spots, fret buzzing - I've always had crazy low string height on this and mostly used super lights. I've just put a fresh set of strings on it and that has increased the string height a little but the action is still low. It plays like a dream. The neck is fantastic with only a few small wear spots as can be seen which do not affect the playing at all.

The first 4 frets are quite worn but really you just don't notice it at all. If I was to hang on to it I wouldn't re-fret but any future owner might want to give this fretboard another 50 years life.

There are only a few dings on the body. The back of the body is fantastic. A little lacquer wear where it was always kept in a stand. The bridge and control plate are fantastic. I always wiped the Ray down after every set.

Anything about the Ray can be seen in the photos. It really is a gem.

So why am I selling/trading? Well to be honest after a break of 13 odd years I want to get back to playing for fun. My playing has gone to sh*t and I feel a new bass will be the start of a new chapter for me. I will miss this Ray and might even regret it but I feel a Lakland will fill the gap and inspire me to get back to practicing and playing.

I live in Torquay and work during the week in Weston-Super-Mare so can meet up anywhere nearby. I'm at a very prolific studio near Monnow valley all next week so could meet up around that area.

Oh - the Ray also has a Musicman hard case (not old original) and original hang-tag :-)

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post.

Edited by ElectroNaut

Good luck with your sale. It looks great. I'm in Torquay too but will have to live with my EB Stingray. I won't succumb to GAS. I'm tempted with the new Ashbory bass that's just come out instead.

Good morning!

I'm a numpty. I'm a year out with date I got this Ray. It's a 1981 - I was certain it was 1980!

Close look at the pots.

Anyway it's still an awesome Ray and sorry for the mistake.

Now priced at £1600 to take this into account.

I'm still looking for sale or trade with a 44-94 or 44-14

Cheers!