Why become a member? ×

Darkglass M900 vs Darkglass Vintage Ultra and Orange Terror

Bigwan

OK I'll admit I've never really been a huge fan of Darkglass pedals. But yesterday I visited guitarguitar in Glasgow and experienced the Darkglass amp first hand.

Impressed would be putting it mildly!

Having said that I have never found the Orange Terror I have (actually the 3rd one I've owned) lacking in volume. So, would there be any particular disadvantage to sticking a Darkglass Vintage Ultra in the fx return of the Orange, or should I front up and get the Darkglass amp outright? Anyone have any personal experiences of doing similar (calling Kev!)?

I should also say I was very impressed by both the Fender Nate Mendel and the Mesa Subway 1x12 and 1x15 cabs I tried the amp with, even if the new price of the Mesa cabs is extortionate in the extreme. £850 for a 1x12? Err, no...

Not had an orange terror, but a similar set up I can relate to you.

I had the DG B7K and VMT pedals infront of a Hartke LH1000 as well as other things like a Two Notes Le Bass which has some EQ facilities.
I then bought the M900 getting rid of the Hartke and also because the amp engine is so good I have gotten rid of the b7k and probably will get rid of the VMT, but it's harder to sell, and I also may have found a use for it.

Basically if you like the amp I say get it, I don't think you will replicate the sound you like with a combination, it will be close though, but not quite a cigar

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1489670798' post='3258818']
OK I'll admit I've never really been a huge fan of Darkglass pedals. But yesterday I visited guitarguitar in Glasgow and experienced the Darkglass amp first hand.

Impressed would be putting it mildly!

Having said that I have never found the Orange Terror I have (actually the 3rd one I've owned) lacking in volume. So, would there be any particular disadvantage to sticking a Darkglass Vintage Ultra in the fx return of the Orange, or should I front up and get the Darkglass amp outright? Anyone have any personal experiences of doing similar (calling Kev!)?

I should also say I was very impressed by both the Fender Nate Mendel and the Mesa Subway 1x12 and 1x15 cabs I tried the amp with, even if the new price of the Mesa cabs is extortionate in the extreme. £850 for a 1x12? Err, no...
[/quote]

You calleth, Kev cometh! ;)

Disadvantage would depend on your tone goals :) Clearly, by keeping the Orange and using the Vintage Ultra, you don't have the B3K circuit at your disposal, and I must say this circuit combined with the M900 Tone and Gain control really expands the use of that circuit for those who found the pedal too trebly/harsh. The Tone control is very, very useful and I often wonder now why the pedals never incorporated it. I find the amp's drive circuit better and more useful and flexible than the pedals because of these features.

Talking clean channels now (or as clean as the Orange gets), having never played through the other amp I can't be sure but I would imagine they are pretty different. The Darkglass is super clean and punchy with the microtubes circuit off, with it on you can add as much or as little grit as you want to great effect, so on the basis of what you will be using the Orange/DG for I would say the M900 is a much more flexible setup.

One of the main reasons why I bought the amp is cost, funnily enough. I had a B7K Ultra and a Vintage Ultra on my board, going into a Tecamp head. Selling those three raised enough cash to buy a new M900 and cash to spare, and it has not left me wanting for flexibility at all. I think the M900 is excellent value for what it is, especially compared to the competition. Like I say, I actually prefer the combined drive circuit and tone/gain options on the head. The M900 is also MUCH louder than the Tecamp was, which in turn I thought was very loud compared to the GK and Aguilar amps that came before it. Goes down to 2ohms too, if you ever need it :)

Mesa prices are insane, Ill stick with the relatively bargainous Bergantino, thanks ;)

Oh, and show me a sexier looking bass amp on the market. :D

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1489690863' post='3259048']

You calleth, Kev cometh! ;)

Disadvantage would depend on your tone goals :) Clearly, by keeping the Orange and using the Vintage Ultra, you don't have the B3K circuit at your disposal, and I must say this circuit combined with the M900 Tone and Gain control really expands the use of that circuit for those who found the pedal too trebly/harsh. The Tone control is very, very useful and I often wonder now why the pedals never incorporated it. I find the amp's drive circuit better and more useful and flexible than the pedals because of these features.

Talking clean channels now (or as clean as the Orange gets), having never played through the other amp I can't be sure but I would imagine they are pretty different. The Darkglass is super clean and punchy with the microtubes circuit off, with it on you can add as much or as little grit as you want to great effect, so on the basis of what you will be using the Orange/DG for I would say the M900 is a much more flexible setup.

One of the main reasons why I bought the amp is cost, funnily enough. I had a B7K Ultra and a Vintage Ultra on my board, going into a Tecamp head. Selling those three raised enough cash to buy a new M900 and cash to spare, and it has not left me wanting for flexibility at all. I think the M900 is excellent value for what it is, especially compared to the competition. Like I say, I actually prefer the combined drive circuit and tone/gain options on the head. The M900 is also MUCH louder than the Tecamp was, which in turn I thought was very loud compared to the GK and Aguilar amps that came before it. Goes down to 2ohms too, if you ever need it :)

Mesa prices are insane, Ill stick with the relatively bargainous Bergantino, thanks ;)

Oh, and show me a sexier looking bass amp on the market. :D
[/quote]

Pretty much mirrors my thinking. The microtubes engine tone control is a brilliant feature. And while I'd probably use the vintage channel 99% of the time, having the option of the b3k on tap if needed is handy.

A bit of a clear-out is required to afford it but I think an M900 is on the cards...