Why become a member? ×

Stand for wide necked instruments ?

ambient

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1489677825' post='3258916']
Same problem here...

I'd like one that supports the bass from the neck but can't find one with a wide enough grip.
[/quote]

That's ideally what I want. I had a Hercules grab type that was just wide enough for a 6, but only just wide enough.

I had to 'reshape' my stands for my 7 string. The neck on my Shuker isn't massive as I use a 16mm spacing, but I had to go to work on my stands by gently opening the hefty metal neck supports. The neck just squeezed in but I knew it was safe. Now I just use those tour stands that allow instruments to slide in sideways instead. This sort of thing:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1489678488' post='3258924']
...I had to go to work on my stands by gently opening the hefty metal neck supports.
[/quote]

Been investigating this possibility but I think the bits the heads hang from on my current stand are plastic not metal...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1491117274' post='3270535']
Been investigating this possibility but I think the bits the heads hang from on my current stand are plastic not metal...
[/quote]

Ah yes!! I can see that being a problem!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1491116723' post='3270532']
Did you find anything in the end?

I had one of those ones that dood posted for a while but I was always worried about clattering basses against each other...

I'd really like one when I can hang my wide necked basses from the headstock.
[/quote]

I'm using a Hercules mini, which is far from ideal really.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1491138814' post='3270746']
I'm using a Hercules mini, which is far from ideal really.
[/quote]

What's not ideal about it Kevin? I use a similar stand for my basses and it is perfect and nicely portable. I cant see how the width of the bass could be a problem for these types of stands...

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1491222130' post='3271293']

What's not ideal about it Kevin? I use a similar stand for my basses and it is perfect and nicely portable. I cant see how the width of the bass could be a problem for these types of stands...
[/quote]

It's partly me being paranoid about damaging it.

The body of the bass is quite large, and upright part of the stand is quite low, so it doesn't sit right on the stand. I use it at home, but would prefer something else. I certainly wouldn't use it at a gig. I put the bass back into it's case in between sets.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1489678488' post='3258924']
I had to 'reshape' my stands for my 7 string. The neck on my Shuker isn't massive as I use a 16mm spacing, but I had to go to work on my stands by gently opening the hefty metal neck supports. The neck just squeezed in but I knew it was safe. Now I just use those tour stands that allow instruments to slide in sideways instead. This sort of thing:

[/quote]
Yes, I have one of those too. Some of the foam coverings started to perish on mine, so I stripped it off and replaced it with some of that foam pipe-lagging stuff you get from the DIY stores. It works a treat.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1491147975' post='3270812']
How wide does it have to be? I have an 'ultimate stand' that accommodates my 5 string with loads of spare.
[/quote]

At the nut it's a little over 6cm, and at the 12th fret it's a little over 9cm.

:)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1491298170' post='3271857']
Yikes. That would be much too wide for the Ultimate. How on earth do you play such a thing? :)
[/quote]

I don't find it a problem tbh.

I've had 6 string basses that were only a little smaller. My old TRB6P instantly springs to mind. I don't think that would fit in a neck grab type stand.

I've got a stand that I've had for donkeys years made by a US firm called "On Stage". Just measured the neck part & it's 7.5cm at it's widest so it should hold your bass with no problems. Really well made & solid too.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1491222130' post='3271293']
[/quote]

I've got a Hercules Mini stand. The only use it ever gets is to hold a symmetrical bodied guitar when it is in my lounge. It's simply too small and insubstantial for any other use.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1491329078' post='3272193']

I've got a Hercules Mini stand. The only use it ever gets is to hold a symmetrical bodied guitar when it is in my lounge. It's simply too small and insubstantial for any other use.
[/quote]

That's what I've found too.

It's used in my room, but only just, on a gig the bass goes back in it's case when not being played.

The body on my bass is bigger than usual, it's a 7 string after all, and it's a 35" scale bass, the Hercules is really too small.