Why become a member? ×

It was 50 years ago this week

Happy Jack

Interesting. In the back pages there's a Wardour Street shop selling a secondhand Precision for £85 which would be £1415.80 in today's money*.

[size=2](*[url="http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/resources/inflationtools/calculator/default.aspx"]Source: BoE Inflation calculator[/url]).[/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1489681027' post='3258948']
Was that Pan?

I used to see lots of good gear in there, most of it hadn't been looked after too well.

On March 12th 1967 I bought my Vox Foundation there for £90 and the transformer caught fire 2 weeks later!!
[/quote]

Indeed it was Pan and on March 11 the [i]actual [/i]Vox Foundation you bought is in the ad at £95.

Presumably you screwed them down a fiver which is £83 in today's money. Nice work, Sir.
[color=#faebd7].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

MM was the paper the musicians read back then; NME was a bit pants. I bought an EBO from an ad in the back in '64, not sure whether it was from Pan tho. Incidentally the fragrant Mrs B and I celebrated our 50th two weeks ago so we have good reason to remember 1967. I remember I had to make an effort at 'being married' so I retired from playing, only to quietly slide back into music some 20 years later.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1489682871' post='3258977']
Indeed it was Pan and on March 11 the [i]actual [/i]Vox Foundation you bought is in the ad at £95.
Presumably you screwed them down a fiver which is £83 in today's money. Nice work, Sir.[color=#faebd7].[/color]
[/quote]
Wow, what a coincidence. My Dad was handing the money that day. Took me over a year to pay him back.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1489684616' post='3258999']
Wow, what a coincidence. My Dad was handing the money that day. Took me over a year to pay him back.
[/quote]

Coincidence indeed. Even my missus was impressed at this serendipitous discovery and that's saying something.

1967, what a year. I left school, started work as an apprentice and met my first serious girlfriend. The summer of love, flower power, the Beatles ruled the world and Britain was the centre of the music universe. Anything and everything was possible.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1489680707' post='3258945']
Interesting. In the back pages there's a Wardour Street shop selling a secondhand Precision for £85 which would be £1415.80 in today's money*.

[size=2](*[url="http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/resources/inflationtools/calculator/default.aspx"]Source: BoE Inflation calculator[/url]).[/size]
[/quote]

A brand new one with no case cost 80 guineas in 1962. For the younger readers, that's 80 pounds and 80 shillings.... 20 shillings to a pound. Answers on a pound note to me at 1 Ammoanleigh Avenue...

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1489694335' post='3259079']
1967, what a year. I left school, started work as an apprentice and met my first serious girlfriend. The summer of love, flower power, the Beatles ruled the world and Britain was the centre of the music universe. Anything and everything was possible.
[/quote]

+1

I was there and probably bought it. Missed out on the summer of love though!