Why become a member? ×

I've fallen for an older lady..

AndrewOBW

Hello! After many years of not playing enough of my old 5 string OLP stingray (with Seymour Duncan pickups to make her sound a little sweeter), I stumbled across this beauty in my local bass shop. After a few minutes of playing, this was by far the nicest bass I had ever played and I ended up going back the next morning and putting a deposit down. There's every chance I've overpaid but I have not intention of selling up any time soon so not too worried about that for the moment! So here's my '79 Pre-EB Stingray:

After taking her home, I realized I have absolutely no idea how to look after a bass this old. I've read plenty of forums on the basics of looking after basses in general but if there's anything more specific that anyone can advise me on, please do! Additionally, I can't quite decide what to do about the finger board. One part of me wants to clean it all away, but another is saying that might take away some of the character (and risk damaging value?) of the bass!

The other little thing bothering me is the active/passive switch someone has fitted at some point. That needs to go but will leave a pretty obvious hole in the switch plate. Does anyone know where I could get a suitable replacement one from?

Cheers,

Andrew

Oh that is [i]very [/i]nice! I'm no expert but I don't think you need to do much if the condition is already good. Perhaps a clean and polish - I use Stephensons Old English furniture cream on the body and neck and MusicNomad F1 oil on the fretboard. As for the switch I'd be tempted to look for a button or dome-headed nut and bolt with a similar chrome finish - it would be barely noticeable until you find a replacement. Enjoy!

It looks in pretty good condition to me.
I wouldn't use an ordinary furniture polish - be sure to use a polish specifically for guitars
But as Sonic_Groove says in his post above - "Don't clean it"
Or at least - I'm not sure I'd clean that fretboard

There is something about old instruments - especially basses, of course ;)

Cheers guys! I've decided to leave the neck alone for now. I can always clean it off another time whereas it could take me another 30 years to get that look back. This bass has definitely had plenty of action in her life. Lots of dings and such and some pretty significant buckle rash on the back but that can only be testament to how good a bass it is. I'm hoping to put her to good use now anyway! I've just put a fresh set of fatbeams on and given her a bit of a clean so she's good to go!