Why become a member? ×

Leather Gig Bag

naxos10

Hi All,

I've got a very significant birthday this year and fancy leather gig bag for my ACG Skelf short scale bass. Thinking of Brexit and wanting to keep a British theme does anybody know of a UK manufacturer or leather worker that may be willing to make one?

I have looked at Harvest from America and made that the benchmark for a UK made one - anybody able to help?

Many thanks in advance.

Alan

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1489745537' post='3259354']
If I recall Basschat member Discreet had a lovely leather strap made for him I dont know where it was from but he was seriously pleased with it maybe worth asking him? I thought there was a thread on here about it but cannot find it sorry
[/quote]

I think that was Taurus who are a Greek company.

Thanks to all so far for the suggestions.

Thanks with putting me right on Harvest they are in the frame if a UK source does not work out.

I'm based not far from Walsall which was known for it's Equine leather goods I'll see if there I anybody there that can help.

Please keep up the suggestions.

BR
Alan

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1489736696' post='3259258'] Hi All, I've got a very significant birthday this year and fancy leather gig bag for my ACG Skelf short scale bass. Thinking of Brexit and wanting to keep a British theme does anybody know of a UK manufacturer or leather worker that may be willing to make one? I have looked at Harvest from America and made that the benchmark for a UK made one - anybody able to help? Many thanks in advance. Alan [/quote]

does it have to be UK made? If not, I know of a few very tasty examples...

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1489755228' post='3259493']
Thanks to all so far for the suggestions.

Thanks with putting me right on Harvest they are in the frame if a UK source does not work out.

I'm based not far from Walsall which was known for it's Equine leather goods I'll see if there I anybody there that can help.

Please keep up the suggestions.

BR
Alan
[/quote]
I'm not too far from Walsall and did lots of phoning around to see if anyone would make me a custom bass gigbag but none seemed interested. I think the leather museum would be a good place to start your search.

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1489766920' post='3259684']
Hi mcnach, UK preferred but all suggestions taken on board.
[/quote]

Public Peace in Poland (Maruszczyk/Mensinger) have some really tasty looking leather bags...

[url="https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/accessories/gigbags-suitcase/bass-gigbags/leather-gigbags-b"]https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/accessories/gigbags-suitcase/bass-gigbags/leather-gigbags-b[/url]

Some do tempt me:

and of course 'more traditional' ones like:

... and more.

I've got a Harvest one and it's awesome. The guy who runs the company is a top guy too! My guitarist was doing a couple of gigs over in Germany and was asking me about decent straps, so I suggested Harvest as I was looking at getting one too. He rang them up to say he'll be over that way and if there are any retailers he can look at. In the end, Hermann suggested that they meet up and do a deal directly. So we chose what we wanted, and let Hermann know, and then my mate ended up being picked up in a brand new McLaren, taken for a spin to the office I believe and the deal was done at an absolutely cracking rate, and he also gave me a free set of Fodera strings to try too - turns out he's a bassist. Top company in my eyes!

Oh, and the quality of my bag is second to none!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1489848171' post='3260310']
The Harvest full leather gig bags are currently £259 on their web site.With the Mono M80 gig bags being listed at £200-ish, the difference is not as great as it was.
[/quote]

Jesus, Mono have increased prices, my Vertigo was around £130 when I got it 2 years ago and it was more expensive than the M80 then. Can't imagine any other gig bag protecting it as much, but yeah if they are now as much as £200 then leather isn't that much after all!

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1489861942' post='3260429']
I reckon the Harvest has just as good protection, if not better than the Mono. Even if it may not look like it, they're VERY well padded. Mine seems to have some sort of board in the back of it as well to keep things rigid.
[/quote]

I haven't really come across anything quite like the "Boot" of the Vertigo case. Always a weak point in more traditional gig bags for me. I'm sure the Harvest is brilliant!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1489847067' post='3260300']
Seeing some serious inspiration in some of those designs... ;)

I would quite like a leather gig bag, but its a helluva investment for what is ultimately style over substance in many ways.
[/quote]

Indeed. I was :gas: about the red one when I saw it. My girlfriend liked it too and said she'd buy it for me. But I had to stop her. Yeah, I'd love it... but it's not going to perform better than my Fusion F1, so it seems a lot of money (to me, right now) for something I do not really need.

If I didn't have the Fusion and wanted something good... I might just be persuaded to spend the extra to get one of those, 'though. But it's definitely a 'luxury item'.