Why become a member? ×

Sire V7 4 through-body stringing issue

lownote

To tie up an issue that has been raised on here before and again by me recently, Thomann now admit you cannot through-body string a V7 4. It's official. They say:

"The string through version does not work for the E- and A–string on these basses. This is a popular problem of this model.
All Marcus Miller basses of this type have that construction fault.
That is why we are sure that a new bass of the same type wouldn´t help you.
We are sorry that It is also a fault that can´t be repaired."

I'm well pee'd off. All I wanted to know was the above but they insisted on me returning the bass. Now they've kept it and refunded my money without my leave, meaning I've lost €30 worth of brand new strings and straplock pins. of course I've raised that with them now, but what a bloody hoo ha. It's no good having a thorough customer support system if its not cored on an ounce of common sense.

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1489747883' post='3259385'] I'm well pee'd off. All I wanted to know was the above but they insisted on me returning the bass. Now they've kept it and refunded my money without my leave, meaning I've lost €30 worth of brand new strings and straplock pins. of course I've raised that with them now, but what a bloody hoo ha. It's no good having a thorough customer support system if its not cored on an ounce of common sense. [/quote]

Would you want the bass even if you cannot string it through the body?

I read an article in an old Bass Guitar magazine. They were asking questions of 10 top luthiers.

When asked about through stringing they all said it makes no difference to the sound. What matters is a good bridge, nut and break angle. So non through stringing is good with me.

Hope the OP gets his bass back.

Edited by Grangur

Thanks Richard. i must say it was a very odd longwinded altercation with Thomann, with them at turns being patronising, inisisting there was nothing wrong with the bass, telling me to return it, then saying they knew all along it was a design issue and then taking the bass and refunding without a 'by your leave', along with £26 worth of strings and straplock pins.

Call me a clever clogs, but the way it could have gone was this:

Me: Is it me or is it impossible to thru string a V7 4?
Thomanns: It's a design fault. Do you want your money back?
Me: No
Thomann: Fine, sorry.

I'm not going to be so stupid as to warn people off using Thomanns, but don't expect an ounce of intelligence if you need to deal with customer disservice.

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1489841554' post='3260238']
Thanks Richard. i must say it was a very odd longwinded altercation with Thomann, with them at turns being patronising, inisisting there was nothing wrong with the bass, telling me to return it, then saying they knew all along it was a design issue and then taking the bass and refunding without a 'by your leave', along with £26 worth of strings and straplock pins.

Call me a clever clogs, but the way it could have gone was this:

Me: Is it me or is it impossible to thru string a V7 4?
Thomanns: It's a design fault. Do you want your money back?
Me: No
Thomann: Fine, sorry.

I'm not going to be so stupid as to warn people off using Thomanns, but don't expect an ounce of intelligence if you need to deal with customer disservice.
[/quote]

Indeed. That's the way it should have gone... Customer service can make or break the trust of customers. There's a shop in Edinburgh I'd never even visit again, not even if I were allowed to go and spit at the face of the owner... for similar reasons.
It's not so difficult.
It's a shame you had bad luck. My own dealings have always been good with Thomann... but it's clear it's a lottery.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1489823922' post='3260069']
I read an article in an old Bass Guitar magazine. They were asking questions of 10 top luthiers.

When asked about through stringing they all said it makes no difference to the sound. What matters is a good bridge, but and break angle. So non through stringing is good with me.

Hope the OP gets his bass back.
[/quote]Yep. A whole thread on a myth

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1489757980' post='3259538']
Oh, I've done that. Sire shuffle their feet and change the subject "Oh, look there's a vole".
[/quote]

That's poor. I thought companies like this were getting better with customer service now they know how easy it is to get a bad reputation through customer reviews.