Why become a member? ×

Eating before/after playing gigs

ballstomonty

How about during? I remember seeing Henry Cow play on a Sunday afternoon in Southend - probably 1977ish. About half way through a tea-lady wandered across the front of the stage with a trolley full of tea and biscuits. The band were into one of their long "free impro" sections and one by one came to the front of the stage to help themselves. I recall being a bit miffed that we didn't get any. Rock'n'roll.

When I went to see Willie Nelson, one of the band went off whilst the others were playing and came back with what looked like a tray
with a pot of tea and mugs on it. Given Mr Nelson's.... err...interesting past with other substances, this seemed quite amusing.

Also what about the famous Rick Wakeman story when he was with Yes.

[b]At one of the Free Trade Hall gigs, Rick Wakeman drank eight or nine pints and began thinking of curry. He told his keyboard tech below the stage, "John, we'll go for curry when this is all over." John only heard the word "curry" over all the noise. Twenty minutes later, he brought Rick a chicken Byriani, a few poppadoms, and an onion Bhaji. Rick enjoyed the smell and decided to lay the curry on his organ and eat it. Jon turned to him and said, "I don't believe it - he's eating curry!" Steve Howe was also displeased.[/b]

You could always attach a hot dog or mini baguette on top of a Steinberger headstock and nibble between songs and side drums are useful for keeping plates of cold meats. Depending on what and where you play and your typical audience it might be a nice touch to lay out a buffet for punters, the cost being included in the entry price of course.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1490100413' post='3262140']
When I went to see Willie Nelson, one of the band went off whilst the others were playing and came back with what looked like a tray
with a pot of tea and mugs on it. Given Mr Nelson's.... err...interesting past with other substances, this seemed quite amusing.

Also what about the famous Rick Wakeman story when he was with Yes.

[b]At one of the Free Trade Hall gigs, Rick Wakeman drank eight or nine pints and began thinking of curry. He told his keyboard tech below the stage, "John, we'll go for curry when this is all over." John only heard the word "curry" over all the noise. Twenty minutes later, he brought Rick a chicken Byriani, a few poppadoms, and an onion Bhaji. Rick enjoyed the smell and decided to lay the curry on his organ and eat it. Jon turned to him and said, "I don't believe it - he's eating curry!" Steve Howe was also displeased.[/b]
[/quote]

There's also a YouTube clip of Sneaker Pimps doing a gig with one of the guys eating a burger on stage while playing - didn't look very "professional".

Edited by darkandrew

'luckily' I suffer from extreme anxiety so I usually wouldn't eat a thing before the gig

I had to be careful not to drink too much alcohol on an empty stomach, which isn't easy as 'all you can drink" is built into the pay structure at some of the dives we played at hehe

now that I'm older and wiser (lol) I'll grab a sandwich or pasty beforehand.

Afterwards? a pizza with chilli and anchovies (Bon Jovi's sister, Anne Jovi)