Why become a member? ×

David Ellefson

Funky Dunky

Some of you will no doubt already know about this, but I just learned about it and thought I'd pass it on for those who don't - Megadeth bassist David Ellefson has a YouTube channel with a series of videos called Rock Shop, in which he passes on tips on playing/learning bass and a bit of gear chat as well.

A lot of the stuff is aimed more at novice bassists, but it's still good to hear a pro talk shop.

Great metal bassist, really good pick player.

I had a chat with him at the London Bass bash a few years ago and he's a lovely, humble, unassuming guy. I'm not a fan of his flavour of Metal, but there is no denying that he's a monster player. Plectrum technique to die for.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1489774742' post='3259805']
Plectrum technique to die for.
[/quote]

Totally.

I've been a Megadeth fan since I was about 16, mostly the early middle part of their career, Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction. Someone on this very pages mentioned that if you listen to isolated bass tracks, David is an absolute beast, and so it proved. I spent an hour and a half today just watching Ellefson videos on YouTube and listening to isolated bass tracks. So clean with a pick it's incredible. The Holy Wars bass line is just silly good.