Why become a member? ×

Overwater Contemporary Preamp

brinkledink

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out. I recently bought a second hand Overwater Contemporary bass with an electrical fault (which I knew about before hand). I have some experience dealing with guitar electronics but not preamps.

When I play through an amp, I get a hugely distorted but really quiet sound that comes and goes (as in fading, no crackling). Initially I assumed it was the battery, but there was no change after I put a fresh battery in.

I took the backplate off and got the electronics out, and all connections/soldering seem solid.

After seeing a few posts on this forum I tried a multimeter at several points. Keeping one end on the jack ground and measuring around various components I get ~9V everywhere I tried. However, when I plug a lead in, where I previously saw 9V I get 0V. Due to this I have ordered a new jack and it is on the way.

Am I on the right track, or could it be something else? Is there anything else I should test in the meantime?

Many thanks in advance