Why become a member? ×

New active bass now inactive

scrumpymike

Just got my first active bass - a custom Maruszczyk Elwood with Delano 2-band electronics. After receiving it 3 weeks ago everything worked fine until last night. I pushed the push/pull volume knob in but instead of going from passive to active it went from passive to mute. The battery has since tested full but I've also tried a new one just to be sure that wasn't the problem. Adrian M has said send it back but that will cost him dear and anyway I don't want it disappearing back to Poland for 2-3 weeks. I'll remove the small chrome panels that the switches and jack socket are mounted on this weekend to inspect the connections but can't imagine that a soldered wire has just fallen off. I'm suspecting either the push/pull switch itself or the output jack socket and would like an idiot's guide on whether/how I can fault-find without a multi-meter - I've got a set of mini jumper test leads with croc clip at each end but don't know what to connect to what. Btw should there be enough slack in the wires for me to lift the panels clear without removing all the clamping nuts to release the switches? Never worked under the bonnet of a bass so any help appreciated!

I had the exact same thing happen on a push pull volume pot I installed recently on a friend's bass. It was the new pot that failed. Before removing it you can try squirting some contact cleaner in there and operating the push pull cycle about 20 -30 times just in case there is something fouling the contacts or the have become oxidized.
Otherwise a new pot is about £7. Maybe try a push push pot as they are easier to operate.

Good spot! Yes that is very odd indeed. Very poor quality control is what this looks like but I can't believe it wouldn't have been noticed when soldering the leads to the jack.
I would send that pic to the supplier and see what they have to say.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1490297908' post='3264138']
The soldering on the bottom wire is very poor as well, if one of our lads did that they would be practising a lot before being let loose on anything.
[/quote]on a bass that expensive it should be spot on looks like a two year old soldered that up very poor

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1490300683' post='3264176']
on a bass that expensive it should be spot on looks like a two year old soldered that up very poor
[/quote]
Exactly, it would be poor on an Encore, let alone anything top end.

Sent the pic to Adrian M who commented that the quality of stuff from China can be variable. After inspecting and fiddling around with this jack socket, I'd say that the plug-hole feels a bit on the large side, making it possible for the plug to go in at enough of an angle to de-form the contact as pictured - especially if it was slightly bent in the first place. This would explain the fact that everything worked fine for the first 3 weeks. Hadn't spotted that 'iffy' soldered joint btw!!

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1490358669' post='3264562']
Sent the pic to Adrian M who commented that the quality of stuff from China can be variable. After inspecting and fiddling around with this jack socket, I'd say that the plug-hole feels a bit on the large side, making it possible for the plug to go in at enough of an angle to de-form the contact as pictured - especially if it was slightly bent in the first place. This would explain the fact that everything worked fine for the first 3 weeks. Hadn't spotted that 'iffy' soldered joint btw!!
[/quote]

I am staggered that a bass of that quality/price is being fitted with a cheap and nasty Chinese jack. Unbelievable. I would change that for a Switchcraft or Neutrik one straight away.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1490309192' post='3264283']
I had a dark fire, this was worse than mine, but only just

[url="http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=361.45"]http://www.futuregui...hp?topic=361.45[/url]
[/quote]
Just looked at the pic - that's a bit scary!

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1490359813' post='3264577']
I am staggered that a bass of that quality/price is being fitted with a cheap and nasty Chinese jack. Unbelievable. I would change that for a Switchcraft or Neutrik one straight away.
[/quote]
Agreed! Just Googled and the ones you mentioned only seem to cost between £2 and £3 or am I missing something? They look the same as mine - is there a better, more expensive design?

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1490375226' post='3264757']
Agreed! Just Googled and the ones you mentioned only seem to cost between £2 and £3 or am I missing something? They look the same as mine - is there a better, more expensive design?
[/quote]

Switchcraft are regarded as THE jack socket to use as they are really well made and last without either falling apart or oxidising.
The Chinese ones probably cost pence by comparison and just won't last as long without causing problems. There will be inevitable exceptions but that is the general rule of thumb.
If you check out any of the postings on here where inexpensive basses are "upgraded", the jack socket is usually the first thing to be changed for a quality item like Switchcraft or Neutrik.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1490376337' post='3264761']
Switchcraft are regarded as THE jack socket to use as they are really well made and last without either falling apart or oxidising.

If you check out any of the postings on here where inexpensive basses are "upgraded", the jack socket is usually the first thing to be changed for a quality item like Switchcraft or Neutrik.
[/quote]

I think that's what I'll do. As a result of this, I've already increased my knowledge / tool kit by learning how to use / buying a digital multi-meter - so why not do the same with soldering irons? At least the neighbours (Screwfix round the corner) will be happy :)

I am genuinely gobsmacked that a 'quality' maker would send a response like that. The idea that they are using AliExpress/ eBay type suppliers from China is appalling. The Chinese are very capable of making high quality stuff to a decent spec but it needs to be done by a buyer who stipulates exact quality levels and checks they are adhered to. To reply that 'Chinese stuff is a bit variable' shows it's not happening and is disgraceful. One make that I wouldn't personally go near if that is the way they work. Where else have they saved money on buy in bulk Chinese parts?

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1490379463' post='3264798']
I am genuinely gobsmacked that a 'quality' maker would send a response like that. The idea that they are using AliExpress/ eBay type suppliers from China is appalling. The Chinese are very capable of making high quality stuff to a decent spec but it needs to be done by a buyer who stipulates exact quality levels and checks they are adhered to. To reply that 'Chinese stuff is a bit variable' shows it's not happening and is disgraceful. One make that I wouldn't personally go near if that is the way they work. Where else have they saved money on buy in bulk Chinese parts?
[/quote]

Truss rod? Eek!

I was seriously thinking of one of these basses in the future but this thread has saved me a grand I mean if a part like a jack is cheap and nasty sh*t what other components are cheap and nasty sh*t and the quality of the part is a poor excuse just looking at the soldering sorry my post is so negative stuff like this just yanks my chain I hope you get your bass sorted mate

Edited by Thunderbird