Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried these diy kits?

mrtcat

I have a gig in Italy this summer. Flying Ryanair so I don't want to take anything valuable and don't want to pay the £100 to take a guitar only to have it destroyed by baggage handlers. Thought about getting one of these kits http://www.guitar-warehouse.ie/product_detail.asp?ProductID=725&CategoryID=43 and removing neck so it packs into a suitcase. I have one of those old hard shell cases so no problem to fit it in what with it being a headless neck. Not expecting great things but with a bit of setting up etc could it be good enough for a gig?

I have looked into these and they can be made into a decent enough bass but do require work (and probably new electrics). The cheap Harley Bentons get very good reviews on a thread on here (I haven't tried one personally) and if they have a screw on neck would be a possibility. I have just bought an Ibanez tmb30 and it is fantastic, a bit more expensive at £165 but you have something worth having at the end of it.

I don't know how bad Ryanair might be with musical gear but I've flown six times with Easyjet carrying a bass (in a Hiscox case) and had no problems at all.

As for the headless kit, I've just got a similar one for a cricket bat guitar and I also have a through-neck six-string bass kit which I have yet to finally finish off. Quality is OK, not disappointing considering the price.

Wow, Darkheart that's an amazing offer and really kind, Thank you. I think we have decided that both guitarist and I ate going to order Harley Bentons from Thomann and have them delivered to the villa were going to be staying at (I know the owner pretty well) and take a few tools so we can set them up. After the gig we can either mail them back to ourselves or donate them to a local school.
Thanks so much to all who have advised it's definitely much appreciated.

MIJ Mustang? Nice and solid. Sounds good stock. Easy to unbolt the neck and short scale neck make it easier to pack.

Edit: My thoughts are, if you're travelling that distance for a gig, don't you owe it to yourself (and the band....and.... audience to have some decent kit)?

Edit...Edit: I of course don't have that problem because I just call Jeeves and get the G3 in the air :lol:

Edited by Studio GC