Why become a member? ×

Places to gig in Nottingham?

2elliot

[url=http://www.thedoghousenottingham.co.uk]The Dog House[/url]. It's quite a way out of the city centre on Carlton Hill, but for the right band(s) can attract a decent sized audience. My band will be playing there on the 8th supporting one of the versions of Danse Society.

I wouldn't bother with the Maze unless you fancy being 3rd band on a badly organised multi-band evening.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490378197' post='3264783']
[url=http://www.thedoghousenottingham.co.uk]The Dog House[/url]. It's quite a way out of the city centre on Carlton Hill, but for the right band(s) can attract a decent sized audience. My band will be playing there on the 8th supporting one of the versions of Danse Society.

I wouldn't bother with the Maze unless you fancy being 3rd band on a badly organised multi-band evening.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. The Dog House looks interesting and that should be a canny night supporting The Society. Have a good one.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490378197' post='3264783']

[/quote]

Maybe it's a genre thing? We play there to some cracking crowds, especially when supporting some better known touring acts

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1490642274' post='3266744'] Maybe it's a genre thing? We play there to some cracking crowds, especially when supporting some better known touring acts [/quote]

Actually I think it's down to whoever is organising the evening. I've played two really good gigs there, but neither were booked by the Maze itself, they were just providing the venue. All the standard Maze gigs I've done have just been just a hotch-potch of very vaguely related bands playing at the same venue on the same evening, and very poorly organised with regards to running times and equipment sharing.

Couple of comments on suggestions:
Maze - Billing can be very hit and miss. We've been pretty badly mismatched both times we've played there. If you have an audience though, it's a well laid out venue and the PA is loud. Monitors are crap but you can't have everything. If you play gothy punk then it's probably your best shot.
Bath - Avoid. It's really like playing in a takeaway. Grotty place and they have the worst chips I've ever tasted.
Greyhound - Mostly does covers (tribute) bands. They will put originals on, but they tend to be booked a long way in advance.

Might be worth thinking outside the normal pub scene. We've used the Surface Gallery (think completely white gallery space, quite striking visually and the promoters used projectors rather than lights) and the Writer's Studio (arty, small stage and probably 100 capacity downstairs, but has a good vibe to it). It does require you to organise everything yourself of course, but if you are playing with someone else local, it's doable. Very different vibe to a pub and you have a lot more control over how you run it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tap and Tumbler are pushing their live stuff at the moment and are looking for bands, they do money punk/goth nights and these are usually same nights as rock city....so pub usually very busy :-)
I think the maze is a cracking venue, have seen plenty of gigs there but am yet to play.
Angel isn't what it used to be......and clientele has changed significantly........
Jam Cafe.......lovely little venue but goth punk might scare locals away from their board games
The Loft is a great space.......if you can handle the stairs
Doghouse great venue but promotion leaves a lot to be desired and sound can be abysmal..........also its out of town so very little passing trade

Id look at the Tap and Tumber....look up Tommy Kelly - he manages the place and is in charge of the live stuff on FB or drop em a message direct

another place we've just found for our Album launch party on May 25th (plug plug) is the Lord Roberts, they've got a room they will let you have for free if you bring in some drinkers, middle of Nottingham.
Yes the Tap and Tumbler is having an originals night from what I here, our last gig there was a cracker, mostly covers, the Wildhearts were on at Rock City and there was a 9.30 curfew :-)