Why become a member? ×

New Tokais

JoeEvans

I have 2 of the new Japanese made Hard Punchers.
I was so knocked out by the fit, finish, sound and playability of the first one I bought the second one the week after.
One is strung with flats and the other rounds, all basses covered!
Can't recommend the Japanese ones enough.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1489879119' post='3260585']
I do not like the Rockingbetters.
[/quote]

Well, that is ok, they aren't and never had been made by Tokai so largely irrelevant.

I tried a new tokai strat a few months ago and it was rather nice, but haven't tried a newer bass, just an old explorer.

I got mine from Drew at the GBBL but here is a link to the UK site
http://tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=131&category_id=18&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1489879318' post='3260588']
Well, that is ok, they aren't and never had been made by Tokai so largely irrelevant.

I tried a new tokai strat a few months ago and it was rather nice, but haven't tried a newer bass, just an old explorer.
[/quote]
OK - there's a thread about this on the site...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190096-so-a-rockinbetter-isnt-a-rickenbacker-a-rockinbetter-isnt-a-tokai/page__st__60

Apparently, it says, the UK company who import Rockinbetters is called Tokai, but it has nothing to do with the Japanese company called Tokai who make guitars.

I had, or actually still own a newer 2013/2014 made in Japan Tokai Jazz Sound.
They still make more or less the model they made in the 80s mine has the fender style headstock, great gotoh 70s style fender tuners lightly flamed neck 2 piece ash body. Neck is a bit thicker then the old ones and it has a slab board instead of a curved one, which gives it more stability, I know this cause I have had 2 80 S jazz sounds before.
Fit and finish are flaweless sounds pretty damn sweet too, they always manage to get the growly Jaco thing working.
The one I have is pretty rare but some shops sell them just around 1000 euro.

They also make a cheaper line with the non fender head and there is a Chinese line aswell, they are much cheaper but fit and finish will be less also.

Edited by Brams77

I like the Rockinbetter's, but the only thing that they have in common with Tokai was the UK importer.

I did like the Thunderbird when I tried one, the Jazz & P were nice too.

The MIJ Love Rock's were superb though. Kind of wish I still had mine.

If you get a MiJ model then they are great.

I've owned a Talbo bass and still own a Talbo Jr Guitar, both of which are exceptional instruments.

However I do have to say that I've been less than impressed with the UK distributers for Tokai, and ended up buying both of mine direct from Japan.

All from what I've seen recently none of the more budget bass models are made in japan, and consequently they aren't really worthy of the reputation of the Tokais of the 80s.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1490174559' post='3262769']
I just acquired a 1984 Jazz Sound from Bass Direct and it is marvellous. The Tokai stuff is consistently very fine up to the present day.
[/quote]

Not my experience at all. The MiJ instruments continue to be excellent. The others are no better or worse than any other budget Korean or Chinese instruments.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490181116' post='3262886']
Not my experience at all. The MiJ instruments continue to be excellent. The others are no better or worse than any other budget Korean or Chinese instruments.
[/quote]

Apologies. I do agree with BigRed on this. I should have said that I was referring to the MIJ instruments.

I recently bought one of their 'Cats Eyes' branded acoustic six strings, which is Chinese, and I have to say it's a belting instrument. Cost less than £150 IIRC. The precision in the link a couple of posts above is about £850, at todays exchange rate (which is very poor) an off-the-shelf Maruszczyk Jake is about £820. Does anyone have one of each? Which is the better buy?