Why become a member? ×

Marshall dbs

smokyflipps

Guest bassman7755

The amps are brilliant, the speaker cabs are merely OK - you can get better performing cabs that are much smaller and lighter, budget allowing of course - a single 2x12 or a couple of 1x12s would probably do everything you need. The amp is heavy yes but still portable but no way I could live carting around such monstrously heavy cabs.

Bottom line is if your happy moving it around then keep it as you probably wont be able to improve on the sound (the amp in particular is a gem, as good as pretty much anything else out there) dramatically.
if you want more portability then get some good lightweight speaker cabs.

Edited by bassman7755

I`m of the opinion that whilst still able to shift it, have the best heavyweight gear you can get - unless you prefer the sound of the lighter weight gear of course. The DBS were great amps, never heard the cabs, but up until now have never heard a Marshall bass amp/cab I didn`t like. Keep it while you can still cart it about.

First amp I ever lusted after after seeing one in the pages of Bassist magazine.
A couple of years later we were playing a regular support with a big draw local bands and their new bass player rocked up with a DBS400, the 410 and the 215. Got to play through his rig that night and I remember every note feeling like someone was trying to kick me off the stage.
I'd hang on to it personally :).

[quote name='smokyflipps' timestamp='1489921803' post='3260789']
Cheers guys, much of the same opinion. Briefly had it up for sale but couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe keep the head and shift on the cabs.
[/quote]
I think I saw it on Ebay!. but I have a DBS7400 amp already, and am OK for cabs! (since when was that an excuse?). Anyway, can't speak for the cabs, but you did the right thing keeping the amp. Lots of trouser flapping goodness where, unlike a lot of modern hybrid amps, the valve/SS preamp blend actually does something!!