Why become a member? ×

Had a special bass moment

GreeneKing

My 3rd band has finally folded, or at least it's in its death throws. I'm wondering if that may be it? Do I sell my 2x12 and my gigging amps? I'm nearing 63 and still fit but there aren't so many opportunities in and around Kendal.

I reconciled the practice set on my Tascam and created a practice folder entirely of the stuff I enjoy playing. Some of it I've lost touch with and some are songs I've had on my radar for a while.

I sat down this evening with my GMR that I've just adjusted the trim pots on and my Strymon Möbius set to flanger and I really enjoyed myself. Playing half forgotten stuff and it all came together. It was a hoot and I haven't had so much fun playing for years. I didn't realise how much that hammering the same old classic rock set list was causing me to lose interest.

Hang on to your gear and enjoy playing your 'rediscovered' back catalogue. You never know when or where the next opportunity will come knocking, but when it does you'll be ready.

I find your position rather inspiring and I hope that I may be in a similar position in 20 odd years time.

Best of luck

I know where you are coming from, there is nothing like playing the songs you really love to fire you up.

I have seen it with some local bands. They have been together for years, playing the same old same old, and even though they are very good and well practiced, there is no spark, they are going through the motions. Almost playing by numbers, without excitement or emotion.

I have just joined an established 60s band, playing drums (I know), and I got the gig instead of three others who were clearly better than me. I was surprised to get the gig and asked the guitarist/leader why me. He said the others were very slick and professional and easy to play with, but there was no spark. He said, as far as he was concerned, the 60s stuff they were doing was all about the excitement and energy that came from the original recordings and I played them with that raw enjoyment that lifted the band. So chalk up one for excitement over technique.

There's a whole load of stuff my band would never play, mostly for good reasons. We're a rock band but my taste in music is very eclectic. I like little more than playing along to CDs of music I love or basslines and grooves I enjoy. I never play the stuff we gig in my spare time unless I'm learning something new.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1489913956' post='3260689']
There's a whole load of stuff my band would never play, mostly for good reasons. We're a rock band but my taste in music is very eclectic. I like little more than playing along to CDs of music I love or basslines and grooves I enjoy. I never play the stuff we gig in my spare time unless I'm learning something new.
[/quote]
This. Exactly this.

Sounds good to me Peter. I left the whole giggling scene behind years ago and now I play along with things in my own little world - no setting up, no annoying landlords, no disappointing venues or carrying drum hardware across a car park in the rain. Just 100% escapism.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1489916969' post='3260717']
Sounds good to me Peter. I left the whole giggling scene behind years ago and now I play along with things in my own little world - no setting up, no annoying landlords, no disappointing venues or carrying drum hardware across a car park in the rain. Just 100% escapism.
[/quote]

And that sounds good to me Ped.

The reason I play the set list over and over is to get it ingrained and note perfect. Pointless really :D

Guest bassman7755

This is why I currently only play in a tribute - you get to play songs you (mostly) really like many of which are "album" tracks to an audience who are there specifically for that music. Beats playing random pub gigs by a mile (IMO).

It's great to find the time and space to rediscover and experiment a bit with your playing and back catalogue like this Peter - 'refreshes the parts that gigging band's don't reach' to paraphrase the old TV commercial.

But my advice would definitely be to hang onto your amps/cab a bit longer as you never know what you've got till it's gone or what may be just around the corner.

I had about 9 months off from gigging two years ago whilst in between bands, but i really missed playing live.. Yes, it can be a hassle sometimes, but there's nothing quite like it either if you enjoy entertaining people and playing with other musicians.

Hope all's well with you by the way 😊

Love this post. I did that for years just playing the stuff i enjoy listening to. Nothing beats it but at tender age of 50 i decided i wanted to be in a band and gig again.
I'm now in a band with typical age group 65-70. I'm the youngest at 56 :lol:
The music is not my usual style but its great to play in a band that just wants to play what they enjoy and want to play. Majority of them also play in club / pub / function bands too.
Its a compromise for me to get people i like with absolutely no hassle against music i enjoy playing but would not have been my 1st choice.
Don't sell the gear as pretty sure something will pop up out the blue or you'll miss the gigging and band thing and start looking on various sites.
I also live in country and travel 40 miles each way for a reahearsal every week and any gigs but i'm enjoying it so much that its not an issue for me.
I even enjoy the rehearsals as a mates get together for a laugh.

Dave

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1489916969' post='3260717']
[/quote]

But, when it all comes together t can be a very rewarding and enjoyable experience - when you've set up and the sound check goes well, the landlord is welcoming, friendly and enthusiastic about having your band on, the venue meets expectations and there is a good crowd in that are up for it and you're carrying drum hardware across a car park whilst the sun is shining. The above does happen sometimes and when it does, it's fantastic.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1490049295' post='3261848']

But, when it all comes together t can be a very rewarding and enjoyable experience - when you've set up and the sound check goes well, the landlord is welcoming, friendly and enthusiastic about having your band on, the venue meets expectations and there is a good crowd in that are up for it and you're carrying drum hardware across a car park whilst the sun is shining. The above does happen sometimes and when it does, it's fantastic.
[/quote]

Oh, definitely :)

Even better if the drummer carries his own blasted hardware!

Our drummer had good timing (when he wasn't playing!) - the minute we'd loaded everything up he'd arrive with his drums. I should thank him though because he's the reason I went to a full Mesa/Boogie valve setup.