Why become a member? ×

Chuck Berry

essexbasscat

There's so much to be said about Chuck Berry and an RIP thread where people pay their respects to the man perhaps isn't the best place, so here's a thread for discussion of the man and his influence on music

Whatever people say about the way he lived his life, I've no doubt that music wouldn't be what it is today without Chuck Berry. Rock and Roll just wouldn't be what it is without him.

Without a doubt, the song I've played most often on stage is Johnny B Goode, everyone knows it.

Later edit; Chuck's songs have been on my mind all day. This is one I won't forget

A truly sad day

Over to you

Edited by essexbasscat

One of the things that gets me when these greats go is it isn't the degree of complexity that they produce it's how eloquent they are. Who comes up with 'It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well'? What an insight in one line.

The other is just how fertile their influence is, when they inspire other people. Prince/ Bowie/ Chuck can spawn whole sub genres where rafts of intelligent people create all sorts of incredible music, in chuck's case off pretty much one kind of song. I think it's that ability to have clarity, and be so articulate to say so much with so little, both musically and lyrically I admire the most.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1489924398' post='3260809']
A true originator, it's not overstating it to say that Chuck Berry sowed the seed from which all guitar-based rock & pop has grown.
[/quote]

Well said.
A sad day, I know he wasn't the nicest guy in the music bizz, but sure left a legacy.

Chuck Berry was one of the most influential songwriters and performers of the 20th Century. He's up there with Lennon McCartney, Dylan, Lou Reed and the rest.

Those who think they haven't been influenced by him had better check out their heroes. The 6 Degrees of Separation theory certainly applies here.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1489926979' post='3260831']
Chuck Berry was one of the most influential songwriters and performers of the 20th Century. He's up there with Lennon McCartney, Dylan, Lou Reed and the rest.

Those who think they haven't been influenced by him had better check out their heroes. The 6 Degrees of Separation theory certainly applies here.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on, Chris.

We've had the Greatest Hits CD on this morning, and his songs are like 3 minute works of art; perfect from start to finish.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1489928076' post='3260838']

Absolutely spot on, Chris.

We've had the Greatest Hits CD on this morning, and his songs are like 3 minute works of art; perfect from start to finish.
[/quote]

Ignoring my ding a ling.

Thing about Chuck, he took some of T-Bone Walker's guitar and Guitar Slim's stage show and married them to pin-sharp lyrics that ordinary kids could relate to.

Chuck wrote songs about girls, cars, girls in cars and mundane setbacks elevated to a comic plane. Along with contemporaries Leiber and Stoller he wrote the dictionary of Rock, dragging the infant art form away from the often pseudo-poetic lyrics which dominated popular music at the time.

His writer's ear as much as his swaggering boogie will be his legacy. There's only so many times one can play a Chuck Berry intro but his words never stale.

[i]Wailing down the freeway, testing out the cruisin' power;
State trooper trailing, clocked it ninety miles an hour
It was'n me, Sheriff; M'mm, Sheriff, it was'n me
Ah! It must have been some other body, uh uh, Sheriff, it was'n me[/i]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1489965151' post='3261192']
No Particular Place To Go. . . . played today as the encore. I loved every second.

Also this week sees the 50th anniversary of Purple Haze. So we played Fire. Close enough!
[/quote]

What, No 'White Cliffs Of Dover' ?
The Dame is 100 Today...:)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1489945810' post='3261005']
Thing about Chuck, he took some of T-Bone Walker's guitar and Guitar Slim's stage show and married them to pin-sharp lyrics that ordinary kids could relate to.

Chuck wrote songs about girls, cars, girls in cars and mundane setbacks elevated to a comic plane. Along with contemporaries Leiber and Stoller he wrote the dictionary of Rock, dragging the infant art form away from the often pseudo-poetic lyrics which dominated popular music at the time.

His writer's ear as much as his swaggering boogie will be his legacy. There's only so many times one can play a Chuck Berry intro but his words never stale.

[i]Wailing down the freeway, testing out the cruisin' power;
State trooper trailing, clocked it ninety miles an hour
It was'n me, Sheriff; M'mm, Sheriff, it was'n me
Ah! It must have been some other body, uh uh, Sheriff, it was'n me[/i]
[/quote]

Very well put, Sir! 😊

[quote name='Bbiigg Kev' timestamp='1489931580' post='3260873']
Cash up front, got to agree with the man.

R.I.P.
[/quote]
Caught the end of an item on BBC Radio H&W this morning. The Rocking Berry's Chuck ( Botfield ?) told of a gig at Barbarella's in Brum, the audience wanted an encore from Chuck Berry, Chuck Berry wanted an additional $1000

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=3260873"][/url]Bbiigg Kev, on 19 March 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Cash up front, got to agree with the man.

R.I.P.
Caught the end of an item on BBC Radio H&W this morning. The Rocking Berry's Chuck ( Botfield ?) told of a gig at Barbarella's in Brum, the audience wanted an encore from Chuck Berry, Chuck Berry wanted an additional $1000

Yes he was a legend alright and as I said cash up front is the way to go, he was renowned for this, having, as many of us have been, shafted in the past.

I saw him live in the USA but never met him but I did meet people who did know him and I was told that he was asked to perform for a charity event in the US, it was taken into account that the charity takings would be minus his payment performance fee but he turned up and did a great set, got his fee to keep up his reputation but after the gig he made a donation for that exact amount to the charity.

That is a fact, he did it and maintained his reputation in the business as the up front payment or no show, and I for one have always agreed with the man.

Edited by Bbiigg Kev