Why become a member? ×

OLP Pickup upgrade query

rushbo

Hi Basschat Hivemind,

I recently rescued a poorly OLP MusicMan bass (passive) and very lovely it is too. It's the three knob version. My plan was to upgrade it with a Wilkinson Pickup.

That's where the fun started.

The pup I've removed has just two wires leading from it - the Wilkinson Pup has one, divided into four:
Black
Yellow
Red/White soldered together.

Some (rather limited) instructions were included, but no diagram. I can't seem to find anything on the web that is exactly what I'm after - there are some posts on here, but they seem to be written by people with a decent knowledge of the tech. I've wired up many a P bass and even a six string or two, but this one is eluding me.

Can anyone hold my little hand or point me in the direction of a passive, four wire, three knob wiring diagram, please?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1489933331' post='3260898']
If it's the same as the OLP 5-string MM3 that I used to have, it will have two volume controls, one apparently for each side of the humbucker, and one tone control.
[/quote]
Yup, that's it, as far as I remember. I got as far as plugging the instrument in, checking that the three pots all did something and then started taking it apart.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1489938602' post='3260939']
How's about:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnvefqapt7qhf91/MM%204%20wire.jpg?dl=0

Leave your red/white soldered together & use the black/yellow as black/red should be good B)

John
[/quote]

You're a gentleman...thank you so much.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1489935232' post='3260914']
Yup, that's it, as far as I remember. I got as far as plugging the instrument in, checking that the three pots all did something and then started taking it apart.
[/quote]
I never understood why they did that. Unless you have both volumes on the same setting, it used to hiss like a bastard.