Why become a member? ×

Warwick Red Label strings, anyone tried 'em?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490022427' post='3261514']
Two of my basses are strung thru so I could try the red label on those then BRX?
[/quote]

Depends which part of the string you like on the saddle. I like the thinner part, as I it gives me a better feeling low B. However on the StarBass the taper seems to be solely for getting the ball-end to fit in the Warwick tailpiece. On my Gus it sits nicely with the full thickness of the string starting just after it has passed over the saddle.

• Like 1

Fender 7350's on eBay: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Set-of-Fender-7350-Stainless-Steel-Bass-Strings-7350ML-7350M-Available-/332151995303?var=&hash=item4d55cd3ba7:m:mLCYWWfeDm16mh5FAGmJNPw"]http://www.ebay.co.u...Dm16mh5FAGmJNPw[/url] £13.65 a set.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1490045645' post='3261789']
Fender 7350's on eBay: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Set-of-Fender-7350-Stainless-Steel-Bass-Strings-7350ML-7350M-Available-/332151995303?var=&hash=item4d55cd3ba7:m:mLCYWWfeDm16mh5FAGmJNPw"]http://www.ebay.co.u...Dm16mh5FAGmJNPw[/url] £13.65 a set.
[/quote]

All four basses are 5 string.

• Like 1

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490021604' post='3261507']

One thing to note if you are looking at 5 string sets is that the low B is tapered, but the taper ends 50mm from the ball-end so it might not sit on the saddle (which is what you want ideally).
[/quote]

That's good to know, my Spector Euro 5LX needs a tapered B to fit through the string guides on the bridge. Does the nickel 5 string set come with a tapered B?

Edited by darkandrew
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just thought I’d revive this thread and add my experience.

They feel quite rough, and are really zingy & clanky sounding. I’m sure they would mellow after more playing. I did notice that there was a horrible buzz on the A string, so after adjusting my action and even my truss rod ever so slightly, I found I couldn’t 100% get rid of it. 

Turns out it was the string buzzing, as I swapped them onto a different bass and got exactly the same thing. I think it must be something to do with the windings at the ends of the string.

so if you use these strings and get a horrible buzz, before mucking about with your bass, know that it might be the string that has the problem.

• Like 1

As many know, I'm not a fan of Warwick (the organisation) however I've used the 40-100s on numerous 4 strings without any issue - I like them a lot.

IMO they have a nice feel, I like the tension level - I don't any experience of them feeling rough. I've just taken a set of D'Addarios off a bass because I felt that they felt rough - more so than the Warwicks I have on my Nanyo 4 string.

I bought a 5 string set for my Lakland - the only reason I haven't put them on yet is I'm looking for a 115 low B rather than the 130 which comes with the set.

I'm also a fan of the Fender 7250s - amazing VFM.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Just thought I’d revive this thread and add my experience.

They feel quite rough, and are really zingy & clanky sounding. I’m sure they would mellow after more playing. I did notice that there was a horrible buzz on the A string, so after adjusting my action and even my truss rod ever so slightly, I found I couldn’t 100% get rid of it. 

Turns out it was the string buzzing, as I swapped them onto a different bass and got exactly the same thing. I think it must be something to do with the windings at the ends of the string.

so if you use these strings and get a horrible buzz, before mucking about with your bass, know that it might be the string that has the problem.

I found that exact same thing on the A, and where on other brands I’d cut them to 10cm to wrap around the tuning pegs I needed 13cm to stop this with the Warwicks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Good to hear you found a way round it, as I bulk bought 4 packs

It’s a strange one, as even though my basses have an A-string retainer it still happened til I sussed the windings thing. Pretty much everyone recommends two windings on the peg, but for some reason a Warwick A-string needs minimum of three.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2017 at 16:59, stingrayPete1977 said:

I need to restring 4 five string basses, I'm not overly fussy with strings so I'm looking for alternatives to my usual EB ones at around £30 a packet.

£13.60 for the .130s I like they look worth a try, if they are ok I'll bulk buy a few sets.

Anyone tried them or got any other suggestions? (not Rotos, I can't stand them!).

Ta

They sound good (I used the stainless steel ones), very good even, but they're rough on the fingers. I put a new set of those just before a gig and my fingers were a little sore afterwards. Nothing terrible, but if smooth is your preference you may not like them. Soundwise, however, they're pretty good.

edit: whoa zombies!

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, they made Roto 66 and old Blue Steels feel like velvet!  But, they sounded decent, in a Roto kind of way, and were rough  as a cob (as Grandma said) but $5.00 USD a set!, I bought all  I could and have one set left that stays in my gig bag for emergencies. I’d do them again, but would not pay a ton for them, maybe $10-12 USD a set, since d’Addario’s, DR LowRiders and Roto 66 are my usuals and readily available at $20 USD where I live on US East Coast.

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Has anyone tried the nickel version of this string? 

I've just put some on my Pedulla and Sei fretlesses.  Haven't played them much as yet but they seem to go twang in a satisfactory way.

On 06/02/2024 at 14:14, Supernaut said:

Has anyone tried the nickel version of this string? 

I bought a job lot while they were on sale at G4M a few years back and used a few sets. Never had any breakages, no obvious defects or DoA, they don't stretch for miles, and they seem to stay sounding about the same for a reasonable length of time from new. To play, I think they sound on the slightly brighter side of generic, and they feel like a slightly rougher Slinky but didn't seem to cause any additional finger or fret damage for it. The process of putting them on is a bit like handling barbed wire because of the way the wrap trails off, but once they're on that's broadly irrelevant and there's actually plenty of length past the taper so if you have a standard scale bass with a longer or reverse headstock they're pretty handy.

However, the wrap down the business section of the thicker strings is sufficiently open (and not due to twisting during cack-handed installation) that I found it grabbed and plucked any hair which made contact.. head, arm, dusting-paintbrush; all at risk! I'm not massively hirsute, but they had me enough times to make me think sod it and stop using them. Ultimately they were mostly used up during the ceremonial last cleans and setups of basses I was selling during the recent purge, so hopefully some sets got a bit of use before they went in the bin.

I used to swear by them. But the last two sets I bought were poor; set one were corroded near the ball end, with a dead E string, set two were a little better but again, the E string was noticeably duller sounding than the rest of the set.

I moved over to Fenders.

• Like 1

I bought a load of them dirt cheap from Amazon a year or so ago. They were dreadful. Rough as a badgers ar$e and just felt cheap.

I put them on ebay but no bugger wanted them. I think I still have a packet somewhere.

Edited by Hobbayne

Just now, Hobbayne said:

I bought a load of them from Amazon a year or so ago. They were dreadful. Rough as a badgers ar$e and just felt cheap.

I put them on ebay but no bugger wanted them. I think I still have a packet somewhere.

I’ll buy them. Quite good enough for me 

• Like 1