Why become a member? ×

Installing nut on new neck?

Stonemonkey

Hi all, I'm new here and new to bass. I have a GSR200 but to learn a bit of maintenance and stuff without messing around with that I've bought one of those cheap diy bass kits to put together and set up, no idea what it's going to end up like. Anyway, the nut doesn't come installed on the neck, near the end of the fretboard there is a fine sawcut that stops a couple off mm from the edges but there isn't any sort of slot that the nut would fit into. Do I have to cut a slot and does anyone have any advice on doing that and how to attach the nut, glue etc.? (I'm assuming that the existing fine sawcut is what the nut goes against and that I have to cut a slot alongside that cut to allow the nut to be sunk into the fretboard slightly but just want to make sure)

Thanks for any help.

The saw cut is most likely for the nut face, just as you describe. A pic would confirm that though.

Cutting the nut slot out is not complicated, but can get messy if you aren't careful/experienced. It might be best to get a luthier to do it for you. But the basic idea is to cut a notch for the opposite (headstock) side to the same depth as the one you already have. Then chisel out the middle.

Thanks for the replies.

No instructions or anything, the neck, the body and a bag of bits is all that came, it was off amazon for under £50 so I'm not expecting too much and won't be too bothered if it doesn't work out.

I'm pretty sure the saw cut's in the right place for that so I'll go ahead with cutting the rest of the slot out. Any suggestions for what I should use to glue the nut?

Another couple of things, positioning of the bridge, I'll wait till I've got the neck fixed on, and the 12th fret should be halfway between the bridge saddles and the nut, should I set it like that with the saddles set in the middle of their tracks or further forward or back?
And the string guide for the 2 high strings on the headstock, do I just wait until the strings are on and judge where best to fit that so the strings are pulled down similarly to the low 2 strings?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1490017257' post='3261457']
If it's a fine cut is it to give you the option of fitting a zero fret where the nut would normally go? Just a thought...
[/quote]

Good point. But if the neck comes fretted it's probably not intended as you'd need the right tools to bend / fit just one fret ?

For fixing the nut I'd simply rely on the string pressure at first till happy then glue it later if necessary.
At normal tuning there's a lot of string pressure holding the nut in place.

Edited by rmorris