Why become a member? ×

The Enid - giving Prog a bad name.

spectoremg

They must have had more members over the years than we BETWEEN US have had hot dinners.
Even I got roped in on a very temporary basis on guitar at a tiny festival in a very muddy field in Huntingdonshire. A pal was the actual guitarist at the time and persuaded me to "have a go"
So long ago I cant even remember the chaps name but do remember I did NOT cover myself with glory....

:D

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1490086793' post='3261976']
They must have had more members over the years than we BETWEEN US have had hot dinners.
Even I got roped in on a very temporary basis on guitar at a tiny festival in a very muddy field in Huntingdonshire. A pal was the actual guitarist at the time and persuaded me to "have a go"
So long ago I cant even remember the chaps name but do remember I did NOT cover myself with glory....

:D
[/quote]

Given the stories about how pernickety Robert Godfrey could be about playing things right, I'm surprised you escaped with your life!!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1490100282' post='3262137']

Given the stories about how pernickety Robert Godfrey could be about playing things right, I'm surprised you escaped with your life!!
[/quote]

I am unaware of this stories but I can totally believe them. A couple of years ago my band recorded at the studio he owns whilst The Enid were rehearsing for a tour in the upstairs studio. They spent two weeks soundchecking drums. We finished our album before they played a single note on any other instrument.

He's also a very very strange man.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1490100282' post='3262137']
[/quote]

I first came across the Enid at Reading Festival in 1986, I quite liked them but largely forgot about them, it then turns out Robert ran the Lodge studio's in Northampton, we were recording there and ended chatting with Robert, anyway, long story short, I ended up doing sound for them at the Shaw Theatre in London whilst Robert was recording his new album... he wanted help promoting it so we ended up getting involved, it quickly turned out that Robert had fallen out with everyone and anyone in the music business, promoters,agents, management and record companies, no one would touch him! He did turn out to be a bit of a nightmare to work with and our involvement was only a couple of years at most but I still see him occasionally and we get on fine.

I think he still runs the Lodge and with Max as engineer we got some really good results from the studio but considering the gear he had and the previous reputation of the studio when it was in Oxford I think we knew we would get good results.

The first album we wrote was recorded 1/2 at Whitfield Street Studio's in London with Paul Weller's producer of the time, the rest was recorded at the Lodge with Robert and Max engineering and producing, I would challenge anyone to tell me what was recorded in the same studio the Spice Girls used a week earlier and what was recorded at the Lodge!

Theres obviously a lot more to them than just being another band. It goes a lot deeper, or did when RJG was involved. Now with dementure coming in its inevitable he has had to step down. What this will mean long term for Enid remains to be seen.