Why become a member? ×

Stingray purchasing advice required.

Dandelion

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1490722914' post='3267417']
Thus bass already exists (US Sterling with 3 way selector for parallel/series/single coil.

I understand MM do sell replacement pick ups and EQs also.
[/quote]

ceramic pickup and especially narrow neck says the Sterling is not for me.

Anyway, guys, stop telling me what I need, I'm good with the Stingray + MMSR and the SUB wired in series! :lol:

Now more seriously... I don't think you can buy a pickup. Not here anyway. For a while Strings & Things, their UK distributor would happily sell you all kinds of spares. However they only deal with dealers now.

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1490735476' post='3267590']
Ernie Ball will not sell you pickups. Big Poppa himself says so. Want a new MM pickup? Hand over the faulty MM one.
[/quote]

Yeah, but S&T used to until relatively recently. They used to have a menu that was not very good to navigate, and no pictures... then they improved it, and soon after they stopped selling to individuals. I suspect EBMM found out and had a word.

This isn't quite right - yes they won't sell you a body or neck without swapping for the one being replaced - and quite right too. But I think you can still order parts but not direct - you would need to order via a dealer (in the same way you would order a bass or strings etc).

Anyone know what happened to the OP?

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1490696139' post='3267083']

remember the Stingray pickup does not have 4 wires coming out of it. You can stil 'tap' each coil, and while not being exactly as delicate as brain surgery, there is the possibility of screwing up a great pickup, and you won't buy a replacement easily. Hence... the Stingray remains untouched. Just in case. But it has a 3-band MMSR preamp. The SUB is good 'as is' with the original 2-band preamp. It's not like the Stingray sounds bad, just that the SUB sounds better. ;)
[/quote]

Well everyone wants to tell me that the SUB is EXACTLY the same regarding the electronics, if you can get to the connections on a SUB but not on a Ray then they must be different after all?

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1490735476' post='3267590']
Ernie Ball will not sell you pickups. Big Poppa himself says so. Want a new MM pickup? Hand over the faulty MM one.
[/quote]
It's a good job that Big Poppa doesn't work in the motor trade... Could you imagine the ballache?

That reminds me, I need some strings, going to pop the old ones in a jiffy bag so he can do the necessary.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490864986' post='3268564']
Well everyone wants to tell me that the SUB is EXACTLY the same regarding the electronics, if you can get to the connections on a SUB but not on a Ray then they must be different after all?
[/quote]

No, the SUB pickup is wired in series from factory (there are some in series and some in parallel, all stock, and I owned both), so you still cannot get to the wires unless you tap directly from the soldered eyelets. In that respect is the same. The parallel wired one *is* the same in every respect. Obviously, the one that is wired in series differs in that bit.

Oh, and get off my lawn! :P

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490864986' post='3268564']

[/quote]

So does this mean it'll be difficult to put a series/parallel push pull on my Ray then?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490871810' post='3268634']
Bit of gouging and soldering a push pull pot in and you can have a series parallel version of either then, I already have on mine as I'm a grown up with five strings and that function is standard :P :D

P.S I never saw a sign about the grass and I forgot to bring any poo bags!
[/quote]

I've got my air rifle ready by the window, you scoundrel...

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1490873175' post='3268645']
You 2 - GET A ROOM!!! ;)

One, thing though McN, which way is the pup wired in the EBMM Sterling SUB USA? Mines got the 3 band EQ but seems to have more depth and punch than previous EBMM full fat Rays I've previously owned.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the EBMM Sterling SUB would be like. They're so rare I have only ever seen one in the flesh!
If it has a ceramic pickup, like normal Sterlings do, maybe that accounts for some of the punchier tone. If it's wired in series then that for sure will give you a noticeably punchier sound. But I don't know what yours is like. If you ever get access to the bottom of the pickup, have a look (take a picture). The way they wire the pickups you can usually tell by eye without having to measure anything.

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1490877636' post='3268692']
So does this mean it'll be difficult to put a series/parallel push pull on my Ray then?
[/quote]

Not really. But there is a risk. Is it a big risk? Not really. But it stops me doing it unless I *really* want it, and contrary to what that guy who keeps leaving his pet's poo in my garden thinks, I don't *really* want it ;)

You have access to the ends of each coil from the bottom of the pickup. There is a small blob of solder at each end. You can use those to connect the coils to a switch if you want to. It is not a difficult thing... but you do need to be careful. Knowing what I know now, if my 2EQ Stingray were stock, I'd do it. I'd sweat a lot but I'd go for it and it would most likely go ok. But I replaced the the preamp with a 3-band MMSR from John East, which is pretty much the same 2EQ, but with an additional mids module that has a sweepable frequency selector and can be set flat, in which case it does nothing and you still have the 2EQ character. I like it enough to make me think that a series configuration in that bass would be pointless.

Cheers Mcnach!
I'm actually going to get a pro to do it! I have an old Ray 5HH which is series wired (as per the Sterling) it sounds fantastic and really punches through a band mix,however I miss the parallel setting I had on my old sterling and want that option too.i wouldn't try and do something like that myself 😁 I'm also thinking of adding the East MM 3 band at the same time.

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1490896756' post='3268942']
Cheers Mcnach!
I'm actually going to get a pro to do it! I have an old Ray 5HH which is series wired (as per the Sterling) it sounds fantastic and really punches through a band mix,however I miss the parallel setting I had on my old sterling and want that option too.i wouldn't try and do something like that myself 😁 I'm also thinking of adding the East MM 3 band at the same time.
[/quote]

Isn't the fully rewards position H parallel? Or has it been tinkered with.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490900955' post='3268976']

Isn't the fully rewards position H parallel? Or has it been tinkered with.
[/quote]

NO mines a 2006 model which is all wired in Series! EB changed it to parallel in 2008,when they introduced the Sterling 5, so musicman must have thought it needed tinkering with 😉😁 it was to differentiate the two models I think!
It sounds great,but I want the parallel setting as well.

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1490906376' post='3269020']

NO mines a 2006 model which is all wired in Series! EB changed it to parallel in 2008,when they introduced the Sterling 5, so musicman must have thought it needed tinkering with 😉😁 it was to differentiate the two models I think!
It sounds great,but I want the parallel setting as well.
[/quote]

Everyday is a school day! How many switch positions does it have? I'm sure it could be put 'right' easily enough.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490907878' post='3269036']

Everyday is a school day! How many switch positions does it have? I'm sure it could be put 'right' easily enough.
[/quote]

It has 5 positions
1- bridge pickup in series
2-bridge pickup back single coil and neck pickup front coil in series
3- both humbuckers in parallel
4-bridge pick front coil and neck pick back coil in series
5- neck pickup in series.

I just want to be able to switch them to parallel as per the modern versions 😁

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1490896756' post='3268942']
Cheers Mcnach!
I'm actually going to get a pro to do it! I have an old Ray 5HH which is series wired (as per the Sterling) it sounds fantastic and really punches  through a band mix,however I miss the parallel setting I had on my old sterling and want that option too.i wouldn't try and do something like that myself 😁 I'm also thinking of adding the East MM 3 band at the same time.
[/quote]