Why become a member? ×

Recommendations please: Tuners

JPJ

So I'm finding my reliable old Boss TU-2 is struggling with the KK Baby Bass, so what do you guys recommend. Will a clip-on type like the TC PolyTune cope better, or should I go for one of the newer Boss type pedals?

I use Korg Pitchclip, clipped to the wing of the bridge. Works fine on open strings. I also have a Boss TU3 app on my phone which isn't so good, and another app called gStrings which has a DB setting. I never use a tuner when playing in orchestras, but I do use them to keep the bass in tune for practice. For orchestral playing I have a bee in my bonnet about always taking the A from the oboe. Probably makes no difference at all, but makes me feel better!

I was going to say "+1 for the Snark" but Roger's point about the dampening effect is hard to argue with.

In that case, the only answer that works for me is the Korg Pitchblack. That way I can keep an eye (literally) on my intonation even when playing badly-lit stages without adequate monitoring.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1490096443' post='3262092']
Seems obvious, but don't leave a clip-on on the bridge while playing. It has a dampening effect.
[/quote]

Maybe on your bass mate - on my East German plywood, it just makes not one iota of difference to the shininess of the turd.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1490099118' post='3262126']

Maybe on your bass mate - on my East German plywood, it just makes not one iota of difference to the shininess of the turd.
[/quote]

Actually Dave, it was on my 'umble ply where I first noticed this.

I'm a biiiig fan of the peterson stroboclip, but I am also totally willing to accept that it's quite possibly overkill.

I also have an A 440Hz tuning fork, which I try and use now and again. Just bash it on something, and then press then end to the bass (or clench between your teeth to get the note resonating through your skull if you'd rather). Good for the ear, which you'll need if you have to tune to a venue's (possibly out of tune) piano.

It's worth saying that the most important tuner is the one you can't buy with anything other than lots of practice - you! Once your technique is developed and your expectation of pitch is developed through ear training, your intonation is far better :)

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1490100287' post='3262138']

Actually Dave, it was on my 'umble ply where I first noticed this.
[/quote]

Ah, then it's true that it's all in the fingers. 😉

I dont generally play (and never gig) with the Snark on the bridge, but more because it buzzes like crazy than any noticeable muting effect.

I use a Snark on the bridge, copes well apart from the E when the rest of the band can't shut up, harmonics work well then though.

Would leaving it in place if amplified using bridge wing pickups still cause damping?
Can't say I've noticed any difference, no rattling or buzzing either.

So a nice trip into GuitarGuitar in Newcastle after my contact lense check resulted in me being the proud owner of a Snark. Initial testing show the Snark is happy attached to either the bridge or the headstock 😎

I'm not sure the guys in GuitarGuitar were quite prepared from my arrival complete with dyed 'bloodshot' eyes 😂

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1490129506' post='3262515']

Would leaving it in place if amplified using bridge wing pickups still cause damping?

[/quote]

Yes, that's what I noticed. The clip on was right next to the Underwood element. So close that it couldn't fail to have a dampening effect.

Edited by bassace