Why become a member? ×

i have no desire

christhammer666

Things change but people still want conformity. The aspiration to fulfill a rock n roll musical career that for the most part does not exist anymore. Certainly it's nigh on impossible if you're over 21 in the dwindling industries eyes.
I was talking to my old songwriting partner from a previous band about what we liked doing most.
It turned out it was writing songs. Recording them. Making videos. Playing with different musicians. Getting asked to play fun gigs.
So we're going to do the first 4 and hopefully it will lead to the last one.
I'm feeling so much more relaxed and enthused about music now I don't have to do the normal band thing and end up frustrated or doing stuff I'm not excited about.

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1490096325' post='3262090']
thanks for all the responses
I think a lot of he touring thing is im petrified of flying as well as the playing to no-one.plus u get back knackered and need a holiday.I can do that and have done that hear multiple times
I love nothing better then at the weekend driving up north in a sh*tty van playing in a dingy club then crashing on a hotel floor.
But spending money paying for an album to sit on my shelf when I could have a week in the county with the mrs just aint for me

Im either getting old or im turning into a miserable old git lol
[/quote]

Hanging around this forum will turn you into a grumpy old git if you're not careful. :D

I think you're in the wrong band.

If you're not building a fan base in the U.K. with the touring and current marketing that you're doing then someone needs to look at what you're doing wrong rather than throwing money at it and randomly expanding into Europe.

Work smarter not harder.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1490090244' post='3262011']

I'm now in a band that rehearses when we want and gigs when we want even if the songs aren't polished enough. We record the stuff ourselves using a tiny digital 8 track thingy.....it's laid back and it works. Find a band where you're comfortable bro.
[/quote]

This is where i am at moment. I'm comfortable with the guys in the band. Its fun at reahearsals, we take it seriously but we enjoy the challenges of being in a band. The band is currently just finalising their set list but they don't want to gig every week. Maybe just once a month or special occasions but that works for me.
I've been in bands playing twice a week and it becomes a chore and more like work than a hobby.
Enjoy what you're doing is the way to go.

Dave

There is no reason at all why a pub band cant take it seriously, in every sense. I believe in being as prepared as I can be for rehearsals and gigs, and as luck would have it the rest of the members of the band I am in feel the same. We rehearse a song till we know it inside out and know we are tight. If someone is paying me I feel I should at the very least be competent and well rehearsed. The size of the venue is not an issue, giving value for money and being asked back, is.

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1490096325' post='3262090']
thanks for all the responses
I think a lot of he touring thing is im petrified of flying as well as the playing to no-one.plus u get back knackered and need a holiday.I can do that and have done that hear multiple times
I love nothing better then at the weekend driving up north in a sh*tty van playing in a dingy club then crashing on a hotel floor.
But spending money paying for an album to sit on my shelf when I could have a week in the county with the mrs just aint for me

Im either getting old or im turning into a miserable old git lol
[/quote]

From this your ambitions seem very much at odds with the rest of your band.

IMO you really ought to do the honourable thing and quit to make way for someone who really does want to do the same as the other band members.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1490108293' post='3262217']

I don't have to do the normal band thing and end up frustrated or doing stuff I'm not excited about.[/quote]

Being frustrated in a band is not normal.

For those of us that do our homework and only join bands that meet our requirements including material requirements you mitigate that frustration.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490132700' post='3262562']

For those of us that do our homework and only join bands that meet our requirements including material requirements you mitigate that frustration.

Blue
[/quote]
I get your positivity , but in reality ANY relationship involves compromise , and if its with 3 or 4 others the compromise can lead to frustration , homework is relevant , but situations change and develop, managing your own expectations is useful in this regard.

Blue
[/quote]

You've never been in a band with a drummer or singer then Blue? ;)

I get frustrated in bands quite often because the difficult one is me if I'm honest. Luckily I am working with another awkward sod and we seem to be able to write songs. It would be different if I was joining a band. But when I'm forming one I don't want the ideas compromised.

If I was joining a band like yours Blue I'd do the homework, fit in and be happy. I just get my musical kicks in a different way. Some folks like a water. Some folks like a wine...

I understood the OP in that sometimes bands get carried away with pipe dreams and forget about what's fun. Doesn't mean you don't take it damned seriously but the balance has to be right.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1490172495' post='3262751']

You've never been in a band with a drummer or singer then Blue? ;)

I get frustrated in bands quite often because the difficult one is me if I'm honest. Luckily I am working with another awkward sod and we seem to be able to write songs. It would be different if I was joining a band. But when I'm forming one I don't want the ideas compromised.

If I was joining a band like yours Blue I'd do the homework, fit in and be happy. I just get my musical kicks in a different way. Some folks like a water. Some folks like a wine...

I understood the OP in that sometimes bands get carried away with pipe dreams and forget about what's fun. Doesn't mean you don't take it damned seriously but the balance has to be right.
[/quote]

I've been around the block a few times and have made poor I'll informed decisions on bands.

Over time I learned how to make much better decisions, how to judge musicians and how to clearly define what I look for in a band as well as my personal band requirements.

Blue

Edited by blue

Blue
[/quote][quote name='blue' timestamp='1490133164' post='3262568']
I've never toured. However my band has had some 6 gig weeks. To me that's like being in heaven.

Blue
[/quote]

1 - whilst research and attempts to mitigate frustration are generally carried out, realistically you don't know everything until you are in that space, week in, week out. for example, i've been in bands that have been like "yeah we want to play as regularly as we can" then when you get into it and they start saying "oh yeah but we won't play there".. that's stuff you just don't get from research. there is also the element of if you have 4 or 5 people in the same room they will all have opinions, and when they don't align it creates frustration. in your band you do what your leader says and get paid, so it isn't normal to be frustrated, but when you are in a band where all of you have a view, there are bound to be clashes... that said sometimes they can bring the best out of the band.

2 - playing 6 nights a week is heaven, the loading in and out driving the length of the country in a van with a hole in the floor through the night having not had a shower in 3 days.. not so much. i've done it, and the being on stage element meeting new people is great fun, but the logistics are a nightmare. i did one where we did a 2 week 13 show tour, and could only afford to have one day off my day job... it is somewhat draining and not for everyone.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1490285094' post='3263955']

1 - whilst research and attempts to mitigate frustration are generally carried out, realistically you don't know everything until you are in that space, week in, week out. for example, i've been in bands that have been like "yeah we want to play as regularly as we can" then when you get into it and they start saying "oh yeah but we won't play there".. that's stuff you just don't get from research.
[/quote]

I would never make my decision based on how often a band wants to gig. I simply ask how many gigs did the band play last year and how many gigs did they play the year before that.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1490285094' post='3263955']

2 - playing 6 nights a week is heaven, the loading in and out driving the length of the country in a van with a hole in the floor through the night having not had a shower in 3 days.. not so much. i've done it, and the being on stage element meeting new people is great fun, but the logistics are a nightmare. i did one where we did a 2 week 13 show tour, and could only afford to have one day off my day job... it is somewhat draining and not for everyone.
[/quote]

Mixing a full time job with a band that works that much would be tough, no doubt.

Me, I'm lucky, I'm retired and my longest gig commute is 45 minutes. I get home late but I get home and in my bed by 3:00am.

My gig this weekend is 9:00-1:00am and a 15 minute commute.

I fully understand that I was extremely lucky to find and persue a local bar band with good business sense, good honest trustworthy fun and flexible people 5 years ago.

The down side, if I had to do it over again finding a band like this would be impossible.

Blue

Edited by blue

It's already been said that it depends on where you are on your musical journey. It's great to hear so many BCers have arrived at a place of contentment, i.e. the pleasure of making music with like-minded colleagues. And I am also such, and it's a great place to be.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1490296618' post='3264121']
It's already been said that it depends on where you are on your musical journey. It's great to hear so many BCers have arrived at a place of contentment i.e. the pleasure of making music with like-minded colleagues. And I am also such, and it's a great place to be.
[/quote]

Yes, were lucky. However I did not arrive here by luck.

I sincerely hope those that are in frustrating band situations eventually find a place of contentment.

Blue

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1490081493' post='3261925']
I have no desire to sit in a pub ad talk about my band like were metallica
[/quote]

This in spades. Being in a band where one or more of the incumbants have had some sort of mild 'success' in their past and thus assume you know nothing and your opinion counts for nothing because you don't share their history can be really tedious. Been there, bought the t shirt.

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1490081493' post='3261925']
i have no desire to pay £2000+ to record albums
I have no desire to pay £3000+ to tour abroad to play to 50 odd people
I have no desire to sit in a pub ad talk about my band like were metallica

I want to rehearse with a set of guys on my level pay gig and just enjoy the music.

is that so wrong ?
[/quote]

Nope