Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Super Midget Tweeter

Jack

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1490091302' post='3262027']
Yes, there is a variable control. I've got a new Super Midget but when turned full up I still can't hear the tweeter. I presume it was tested before despatch.
[/quote]

Don't the Barefaced tweeter controls operate backwards, i.e anticlockwise to "open up" the tweeter?

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1490095238' post='3262078']

Don't the Barefaced tweeter controls operate backwards, i.e anticlockwise to "open up" the tweeter?
[/quote]

Can't comment on the current generation, but Gen2 tweeters did not work that way.

From their instruction manual:

[i][size=5]4. The Super Midget/Big Baby II/Big Twin 2 have an ‘HF Control’ knob on the back of the cab. Open it up like a tap (anti-clockwise) for increased treble and upper midrange. Experiment and listen to how it changes the tone. Set it however you like. [/size][/i]

I have a Big Baby and, if the tweeter works in the same way, it is not a volume control for the tweeter itself. It shifts the threshold on the crossover. The higher the threshold, the less the tweeter will be doing, hence it working in reverse to a volume control. Lower the threshold for more tweeter action!

[i][size=5]"[font=ArialMT]With the HF control at max you hear everything upwards of ~2kHz coming from the HF driver, which makes the sound extremely clean, true [/font][font=ArialMT]and accurate - basically like a really good PA loudspeaker.[/font][/size][/i]

[i][size=5][font=ArialMT]Turn the HF control down and the crossover point gradually shifts from 2kHz to 10kHz, so [/font][font=ArialMT]more and more of your tone comes from the 12” [/font][font=ArialMT]driver. "[/font][/size][/i]

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1490120646' post='3262385']
From their instruction manual:

[i][size=5]4. The Super Midget/Big Baby II/Big Twin 2 have an ‘HF Control’ knob on the back of the cab. Open it up like a tap (anti-clockwise) for increased treble and upper midrange. Experiment and listen to how it changes the tone. Set it however you like. [/size][/i]

I have a Big Baby and, if the tweeter works in the same way, it is not a volume control for the tweeter itself. It shifts the threshold on the crossover. The higher the threshold, the less the tweeter will be doing, hence it working in reverse to a volume control. Lower the threshold for more tweeter action!

[i][size=5]"[font=ArialMT]With the HF control at max you hear everything upwards of ~2kHz coming from the HF driver, which makes the sound extremely clean, true [/font][font=ArialMT]and accurate - basically like a really good PA loudspeaker.[/font][/size][/i]

[i][size=5][font=ArialMT]Turn the HF control down and the crossover point gradually shifts from 2kHz to 10kHz, so [/font][font=ArialMT]more and more of your tone comes from the 12” [/font][font=ArialMT]driver. "[/font][/size][/i]
[/quote]

Reading the manual? What sort of bloke are you? :D

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1490170791' post='3262720']

I'll make mr funk and Mr glockenklang aware of your view 😁 you have to listen closely..
[/quote]What I meant is there is no excuse for manufacturers to produce noisy amps. Most noise cameos from the preamp and even low cost opamps can give s low noise floor. Don't worry I am not going into details.

However if Mr Funk and Mr Glocengang make noisy Amps... or maybe it is just the crossover in the Barefaced that is the problem!

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1490144541' post='3262679']Not with a good amp you won't.[/quote]

When turned up loud it is impossible to make completely silent (i.e. noise-free) high power full-range bass rigs - the combination of a very high sensitivity tweeter and a huge amount of gain in the amplifier means that you will hear preamp noise which would be inaudible when running that same preamp through a home hi-fi system.

Caveat: If you have age or damage related hearing loss then you may think an amp has no noise when it actually does!

Edited by alexclaber