Why become a member? ×

NAD: TC BH800

ped

I bought a new amp a few days ago to replace a stereo power amp I was using.

All it does at home is drive my TecAmp Pleasure Board (the thing my chair is on) and it does this admirably. The problem with the power amp I was using was that I couldn't bridge it and there was no crossover, and one stereo side into an 8ohm load wasn't powerful enough, although it was pretty decent. I have used the same power amp (1u, 400w a side, no name on it anywhere!) for years, and the best rig I had with it was for each side to power an SWR 1x15 and the other a matching 4x8. Tremendous.

So the TC is fantastic in this application because I can take a signal from the secondary output on my VB99 to it and get the TC input gain right, and there it stays even if I adjust the VB99 volume for my headphones. I can use the (excellent) tone print function to add compression to the signal which gives the 'bass board' a more even and dare I say more boneshaking response.

The built in tuner is really handy too as using the VB99 tuner means leaning across to press a button - it's more accurate for sure but this is useful to have 'on the fly' especially with the fretless.

It's also tiny and light so it fits perfectly under my monitor.

So in a weird way I can't comment on the [i]sound [/i]especially as the bass board doesn't produce anything like an even response, but it has plenty of power on tap and I'm sure it'll get 'cabbed' soon enough.

The only thing I wish it had is a power switch on the front.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1490341440' post='3264351']
Cool setup you've got there. What size pleasureboard is that? I guess the vibrations don't freak the dog out?! :D
[/quote]

It's the medium sized one. I thought it would scare her but because it's technically isolated it doesn't actually pass vibration to the floor at all, so nothing rattles in the office. Sybil actually loves sitting on it when it's off for some reason. When I play a low B the room fills with hair :)