Why become a member? ×

Transport (for gigging)

Rexel Matador

I got my driving licence when I was 18 (a mere 4 decades ago!) primarily so I could transport my bass and amp etc to and from gigs. The secondary reason was also fulfilled, as it is much easier to entertain young ladies of an evening if you have your own wheels :)

I recently changed from a perfectly good hatchback to an estate simply to make loading my gear in and out easier. Until recently, if it wasn't for playing in bands, I would have happily made do with a bike and no car.

Our drummer has no car (or even a licence to drive one) and relies on the goodwill of the guitarist to drive him to and from rehearsal and gigs, and on the goodwill of the harp man to store and transport his drum kit. Should either of these two decide they don't want to be lumbered with him or his kit, the band would be stuffed, so its fortunate that we are basically a friendly crowd. If we ever needed to replace him (dreadful thought, he is a good drummer and great bloke to be with), someone with a car would be essential. I don't know any other drummers (or anyone who plays in a band) who doesn't drive and own a suitable vehicle.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1490201141' post='3263203']

I recently changed from a perfectly good hatchback to an estate simply to make loading my gear in and out easier. Until recently, if it wasn't for playing in bands, I would have happily made do with a bike and no car.

I don't know any other drummers (or anyone who plays in a band) who doesn't drive and own a suitable vehicle.
[/quote]

Tell me about it. Out with the Fiesta ST-3 and in with the Subaru Outback. :(

I'm out in the sticks and have played in bands with people who don't drive. To perfectly honest, they are a pain in the arse having to be ferried around. The last thing I want to be doing is providing a taxi service at the end of a long gig, then drive home on your own knowing that your passenger is safely tucked up in bed. Different if you're in the city though and can get about under your own steam.

It's just another hurdle a band doesn't need unless it can work out well, in a previous band the drummer and guitarist were neighbours so they took it in turns but even then life gets in the way where they would both drive to practice as one needed to drop his son at football on the way or whatever.

I know a few people that declare themselves as eco friendly because they don't have car and cycle everywhere, unless they want a free lift to the supermarket, the tip, a gig, the garden centre, the airport.......

I played in a band, for a couple of years, with a drummer (yes a drummer!) who didn't have a car. Luckily I am a nice guy and transported him and his gear, in my car. If you're playing within a city, it's doable. If the gigs are far and wide you need an understanding bandmate.

And remember to offer to pay for half the petrol.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1490132346' post='3262557']
You need to get on with the drummer and live near him or her. Drummers always drive.
[/quote]

Not always so....Our dep drummer for a gig in Fife doesn`t have a car but has a 125cc motorbike!! So in this case, the bass player is taking the drummer :D

Our usual dep drummer doesn't drive, so when we use him I pick him up and drop him off. With his kit. I do this because he's a great drummer and a great guy, and because he helps us out when we need him. Would I have him in the band permanently and do this for every gig? No. When he gigs with other people he only gigs locally to him and goes by taxi. With his kit. Works for him. Would it work for us? No. When we need him it's usually because we have a Friday and a Saturday night gig, we don't want to turn one down and our regular drummer can't usually do both in the same week. Regular guy does the one furthest away from where the dep lives.

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1490177806' post='3262816']
e
I wouldn't have it any other way. Driving back slowly - on my own - listening to the BBC World Service is great downtime!
[/quote]

I love driving home from gigs around 2:00 in the morning listening to our late night talk radio.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490222537' post='3263466']
I love driving home from gigs around 2:00 in the morning listening to our late night talk radio.

Blue
[/quote]

I always drive home in complete silence, with the music of the night still playing in my head.

personally, I don't know anyone over 16 that can't drive. Why do you think you won't have to learn?

you will be a pain in the arse in any band you join.

Can I get a lift to the rehearsal? I can't get to that gig by bus, can I grab a lift?

My fridge won't fit on my bicycle, can I grab a lift?

Seriously dude, learn to friggin drive like every adult does.

Or forget about gigging.

I would never even audition a musician without their own transport.

Time to grow up and learn to drive.

If you don't drive, you will soon be regarded as a pain in the ass by your band mates that have to go out of their way to pick you up and drop you off. And it will hinder your musical opportunities when you're trying to join new bands. In this game you really need to drive.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1490177806' post='3262816']
I wouldn't have it any other way. Driving back slowly - on my own - listening to the BBC World Service is great downtime!
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490222537' post='3263466']
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1490224013' post='3263481']
I always drive home in complete silence, with the music of the night still playing in my head.
[/quote]

All cool in their own way, but I have the delight of driving home with my other half, another well-known Basschatter, who is there for every gig. It makes for a lively conversation all the way back.

:)

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1490254548' post='3263559']

Our drummer doesn't drive!

And whilst it is a pain in the a**.....he's bloody good so accommodate.
[/quote]

This. If someone is bloody good and a sound chap/chappess to boot, a lack of transport may not be a problem. It helps to live near one of the band members, so they don't have to detour miles on your account.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1490258802' post='3263617']

All cool in their own way, but I have the delight of driving home with my other half, another well-known Basschatter, who is there for every gig. It makes for a lively conversation all the way back.

:)
[/quote]

That's cool.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1490224013' post='3263481']

[/quote]

So do I - the CD player died a year ago, and I'm too tight to get it fixed 😳