Why become a member? ×

Transport (for gigging)

Rexel Matador

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1490238105' post='3263521']
personally, I don't know anyone over 16 that can't drive. Why do you think you won't have to learn?

you will be a pain in the arse in any band you join.

Can I get a lift to the rehearsal? I can't get to that gig by bus, can I grab a lift?

My fridge won't fit on my bicycle, can I grab a lift?

Seriously dude, learn to friggin drive like every adult does.

Or forget about gigging.

I would never even audition a musician without their own transport.

Time to grow up and learn to drive.
[/quote]

Wow!! Perhaps you should get some idea of the original posters circumstances before you start ordering him what to do, lessons are very extensive and expensive, cars are expensive to buy/run and new driver insurance is massively prohibitive.
I'm a 56yo with full NCD and a virtually spotless driving record but I don't earn a lot so can struggle to pay the small amount of insurance I have, who knows what the OP can afford?

Having someone in the band who can't drive would be a major ballache to be honest.

We rehearse in a little place near Reading...it's on an old farm miles from anywhere, no public transport. We all have enough on our collective plates and to add an extra tier of hassle in picking up someone or them relying on partner/taxi? Not gonna happen.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1490127989' post='3262486']
I’ve been thinking about trying to join a covers/function band. It would be nice to make a few extra quid playing music. Most ads I see state that your own transport is a must. I can’t drive and don’t really see me learning any time soon. So I’m just curious as to basschatters’ experience and/or opinions on this. Can it be done without a car? Well actually, I know it can, because my bass teacher does it, but I’m still curious as to what other people think.
[/quote]

Im 54 and cant drive. Ive been gigging over the past 20 years doing functions/weddings etc, but as i do depend on lifts it has reduced my opportunity to join good bands or leave the ones im not happy in. At one stage i had two rigs which i would leave with different drummers from the different bands i was playing with. That saved a lot of hassle. The past couple of years my GF has been our singer, and as we live together its been great.

Its helped a lot being in bands with mates, but i know i would have been a lot happier if i had been more independent.

We have a couple of deps (a drummer and a guitarist) who don't drive, however they make efforts to meet up, rather than be picked up from their houses (unless the gig's their way). They'll also use public transport to get home.

They still get the call because they're among the best musicians in our dep pool, but even so, they don't get the first call.

In our originals band, the guitarist became unable to drive for medical reasons, and the logistics meant none of us could pick him up without adding an hour to our drive times for rehearsals. He's no longer in the band.

To the OP, I'd echo what others have said, in that you're immediately at a disadvantage against other bassists, so you'll need to up your game elsewhere...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1490355837' post='3264532']

Im 54 and cant drive. Ive been gigging over the past 20 years doing functions/weddings etc, but as i do depend on lifts it has reduced my opportunity to join good bands or leave the ones im not happy in. At one stage i had two rigs which i would leave with different drummers from the different bands i was playing with. That saved a lot of hassle. The past couple of years my GF has been our singer, and as we live together its been great.

Its helped a lot being in bands with mates, but i know i would have been a lot happier if i had been more independent.
[/quote]

Time to grow up and learn to drive.............

apparently :)

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1490351090' post='3264472']
Wow!! Perhaps you should get some idea of the original posters circumstances before you start ordering him what to do, lessons are very extensive and expensive, cars are expensive to buy/run and new driver insurance is massively prohibitive.
I'm a 56yo with full NCD and a virtually spotless driving record but I don't earn a lot so can struggle to pay the small amount of insurance I have, who knows what the OP can afford?
[/quote]
Its a hard life sometimes. But the fact is "that" function or pub band are not going to have a whip round just to help you out cause you're a nice guy that could do with some help when there is a very capable person ready willing and able with transport.
I think a lot of the advise here isn't to have a dig at the OP or give anyone a look of shame for not having transport but more a bit of tough love.

Without being able to drive at a young age I would have missed a lot of opportunities good and bad that add up to my current amount of experience. What ever that is. But all the same it would be a hell of a lot less had the driving ability not been there. To be fair the insurance for the young is daylight robbery but its just a hoop to jump through.

Personally (get yer violins out) I went without other things to not only fund getting a licence but to also get the actual transport. It was a beat up old ex BT van. So i was hardly going about in style. But my whole reason for it was so I could gig. And I did.

My step son ( also a guitarist) worked evenings in a pub and on a building site during the day for piss take money to fund his first car. He gigs.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1490356203' post='3264538']
Time to grow up and learn to drive.............

apparently :)
[/quote]

The thing is i live in central London and walk to work, so i have no need of a car during the weeks, and living where i do i would hav eot pay for a parking permit etc. The GF has a car so it would be pointless me learning to drive now, as i just dont need a car.
In the past it was decided that no matter who drove we would only split the petrol expenses between two cars, as we could fit all 4 member sand all the gear in two cars, so again, there was no real need for me to have a car,and pointless me learning to drive if i didnt have one.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1490357191' post='3264551']
Its a hard life sometimes. But the fact is "that" function or pub band are not going to have a whip round just to help you out cause you're a nice guy that could do with some help when there is a very capable person ready willing and able with transport.

[/quote]

Wow, ever heard of mate/friends etc? not everyone is as cut through as the people you play with by the sound of it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1490358651' post='3264561']

The thing is i live in central London and walk to work, so i have no need of a car during the weeks, and living where i do i would hav eot pay for a parking permit etc. The GF has a car so it would be pointless me learning to drive now, as i just dont need a car.
In the past it was decided that no matter who drove we would only split the petrol expenses between two cars, as we could fit all 4 member sand all the gear in two cars, so again, there was no real need for me to have a car,and pointless me learning to drive if i didnt have one.
[/quote]

No problem Dave, not a dig at you but more at what I considered to be an arrogant post digging at the OP, like I've already said, we don't know what circumstances mean he can't see himself getting his licence!

You can go around the houses all you like regarding where people live, how friendly your band mates are, who can't drive for medical reasons vs laziness but if the question is "will not being able to drive cause me a problem auditioning for function bands?" Then the answer is yes.

What are the chances of finding a band that want a bass player that needs collecting and dropping home, maybe one that is happy to store all your gear between gigs, collect you for rehearsals etc etc? I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm not saying my band wouldn't collect me if I couldn't drive or my van was broken but they are few and far between and the chances of it not turning sour if gigging regularly would be slim.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1490358872' post='3264565']
No problem Dave, not a dig at you but more at what I considered to be an arrogant post digging at the OP, like I've already said, we don't know what circumstances mean he can't see himself getting his licence!
[/quote]

No problem. We have had threads like these before and it does seem that some look down on those that dont drive, and i understand that i would be much better off with my own transport, but the logistics have just worked for me over the years. I pay my way and dont expect door to door service, i even spent £1000 on a second rig to make it easier for everyone concerned, and the others (all long standing mates, in both bands) understood all this.
I guess for some it just works, and for others not.

Saying that, had i been a driver i wouldn't have stuck with those bands quite so long, but i guess i made the choice and cant really complain about it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1490359659' post='3264572']

What are the chances of finding a band that want a bass player that needs collecting and dropping home, maybe one that is happy to store all your gear between gigs, collect you for rehearsals etc etc? I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm not saying my band wouldn't collect me if I couldn't drive or my van was broken but they are few and far between and the chances of it not turning sour if gigging regularly would be slim.
[/quote]

I found two, and count my self lucky. In fact my main band only had two drivers, as the singer didnt drive either. Never rehearsed though.

The last time I seriously looked at getting a motor vehicle to transport myself and my musical equipment, was when I had just started playing in my covers band. By the time I had actually added up the cost of buying a vehicle and insuring it, and before working out what the petrol, tax, MOT and everything else was going to cost; I had already way passed what it would cost me in taxi fares to get to 12 months worth of gigs and rehearsals, so that's what I did. Outside of the band I have no real need to own a motor vehicle, so the cost/benefit has to be solely focused on musical activities.

I've managed perfectly well in bands without owning any transport for the 40 years I've been playing. I also think from my experience of both, and from some of the attitudes displayed here, that there is a big difference in band dynamic between originals bands, where, in a good one, everyone pulls gather for the good of the band and everyone has their own different non-musical abilities that all go together to make to band a functioning unit; and covers bands where it seems to be a bunch of individuals who get together a play gigs and that is it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490360538' post='3264589']
The last time I seriously looked at getting a motor vehicle to transport myself and my musical equipment, was when I had just started playing in my covers band. By the time I had actually added up the cost of buying a vehicle and insuring it, and before working out what the petrol, tax, MOT and everything else was going to cost; I had already way passed what it would cost me in taxi fares to get to 12 months worth of gigs and rehearsals, so that's what I did. Outside of the band I have no real need to own a motor vehicle, so the cost/benefit has to be solely focused on musical activities.

I've managed perfectly well in bands without owning any transport for the 40 years I've been playing. I also think from my experience of both, and from some of the attitudes displayed here, that there is a big difference in band dynamic between originals bands, where, in a good one, everyone pulls gather for the good of the band and everyone has their own different non-musical abilities that all go together to make to band a functioning unit; and covers bands where it seems to be a bunch of individuals who get together a play gigs and that is it.
[/quote]
No I don't think the mentality is any different. Weather I'm in a covers or originals band the same issues are there. The same things grate.
One of my previous covers bands did a stint in France and in Spain. We had the same kind of touring obstacles that an originals band would have doing gigs abroad. We all mucked in for the good of the all just as much. Had a great time. Wouldn't of described us a a mere bunch of self interested non caring individuals getting together just to play gigs. We shared the driving by the way. :D

I've also toured with an originals band and same kinda thing really. Covers or originals you help with load in load out ect (unless your a singer :) ) and someone within the band may be a great gig getter and someone may be a great band MD (dictator) ect. Driving or not doesn't change that. Unless you really make it big and have some big tour bus/ limo rock up outside your mansion. Then you don't need to drive.....

As for paying for taxis everywhere to offset the costs of getting to and from gigs: you didn't rely on a band mate or anyone else to do it for you so in a way you "had your own transport". You helped pay for the wear and tear of the taxis via the taxis fare.

Going back to the question from the OP. "do I need transport to do a function gig?" Answer is no you don't but penalties can apply.
"whats your view on the subject?" personally I think you are better with your own transport than without. Besides the band stuff you may use your new found driving skills for transporting things other than band related things about.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1490358786' post='3264564']

Wow, ever heard of mate/friends etc? not everyone is as cut through as the people you play with by the sound of it.
[/quote]

I've been with my current band for over 5 years. We around each other a lot because of our gigging schedule.

There all really cool fun people, however we are not friends or mates. We're business associates.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490384890' post='3264849']
I've been with my current band for over 5 years. We around each other a lot because of our gigging schedule.

There all really cool fun people, however we are not friends or mates. We're business associates.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes, i get the impression that your gigging style is more business orientated (and i mean no offence) than mine.

Me, ive known these guys for 20 odd years, we have always been in bands together, so they are real mates first. I wouldn't take advantage of them, but that question has never really come up.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1490203227' post='3263234']
I'm out in the sticks and have played in bands with people who don't drive. To perfectly honest, they are a pain in the arse having to be ferried around. The last thing I want to be doing is providing a taxi service at the end of a long gig, then drive home on your own knowing that your passenger is safely tucked up in bed.
[/quote]

This.

Most of the guys I've played with in the last 20 years have been playing in more than one band. If you're relying on a lift to a gig it might not be there for the next. The dep is unlikely to be a taxi as well.

I'm friends with the guys I play with but they're not "mates" and none of my gigs are social events. The last "mates" band I was in was my band at school.

I can gig anywhere in the country so IMO it's best to be self sufficient in this game.

So if you're going to join a band with mates you already know or gigs are within walking distance, practice is reachable by bus or you're willing to shell out loads on taxis to get to the gigs not being able to drive won't be an issue.

A taxi to my nearest gigs and back would all cost me more than the money I'd get from the gig so it would be pay to play on every gig, couple that with most gigs being Friday or Saturday night and it would cost double to get home and even getting one would be tricky.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1490203227' post='3263234']
<snip> The last thing I want to be doing is providing a taxi service at the end of a long gig, then drive home on your own knowing that your passenger is safely tucked up in bed. </snip>
[/quote]

I played in a band with a guitarist who liked a beer or two before he played live (and several after). Don't get me wrong, he was wonderfully entertaining when half-cut and I think the band were better for it in some respects. I concur, it's no fun driving 50 miles after a gig with a guy who is falling down drunk and then doing another 20 miles after you've dropped him off.

Just quit a band because the band leader didn't drive and has the PA. So he expected me "being the closest to him" to drive to his, pick him and the PA up (which was 30 mins drive from mine) and then go to the gig/rehearsal and then the same on the way back. I did it a few times but when it became and expectation with no petrol money contributions and the "I'll have another pint" while I'm waiting to leave, it got too much. One particular gig I had to drive 30 mins to pick him up and then 35 mins to the gig but it would've only taken 20 mins from mine to the gig. I don't think I even got a thank you for that one...

I used to live on the Hertfordshire/London border and I guess it would have been possible to travel by public transport to some gigs, although I don't know how I would have managed to lug my rig about, but where I live now, a car is a must if I want to gig, there are no buses after 6pm, and no train station, so any gigs outside of my home town would cost me more in cabs than my cut from the gig I'm afraid, and just getting to rehearsal is a one hour round trip. :(

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1490444343' post='3265173']
Just quit a band because the band leader didn't drive and has the PA. So he expected me "being the closest to him" to drive to his, pick him and the PA up (which was 30 mins drive from mine) and then go to the gig/rehearsal and then the same on the way back. I did it a few times but when it became and expectation with no petrol money contributions and the "I'll have another pint" while I'm waiting to leave, it got too much. One particular gig I had to drive 30 mins to pick him up and then 35 mins to the gig but it would've only taken 20 mins from mine to the gig. I don't think I even got a thank you for that one...
[/quote]

But you're the bass player, we're supposed to put up with this sh*t :D Sounds like you've acquired a few airs and graces Mr "too big for your own boots". I would have done the same.. How did he cope before you joined the band?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1490449341' post='3265227']

But you're the bass player, we're supposed to put up with this sh*t :D Sounds like you've acquired a few airs and graces Mr "too big for your own boots". I would have done the same.. How did he cope before you joined the band?
[/quote]

Same way he coped after I left... found another mug to be his driver lol!