Why become a member? ×

Transport (for gigging)

Rexel Matador

I’ve been thinking about trying to join a covers/function band. It would be nice to make a few extra quid playing music. Most ads I see state that your own transport is a must. I can’t drive and don’t really see me learning any time soon. So I’m just curious as to basschatters’ experience and/or opinions on this. Can it be done without a car? Well actually, I know it can, because my bass teacher does it, but I’m still curious as to what other people think.

I'd say it totally depends on your location. Where I live there is no public transport so a car is a must.
If you go through PA with monitors all you need is your bass, DI pedal, lead and a tuner. Which will all fit in a gig bag.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1490127989' post='3262486']
I’ve been thinking about trying to join a covers/function band. It would be nice to make a few extra quid playing music. Most ads I see state that your own transport is a must. I can’t drive and don’t really see me learning any time soon. So I’m just curious as to basschatters’ experience and/or opinions on this. Can it be done without a car? Well actually, I know it can, because my bass teacher does it, but I’m still curious as to what other people think.
[/quote]

I can't speak for UK functions bands. In the States if your an adult looking at joining a functions band to make money you'd have to your own car. It's a must.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1490128802' post='3262506']
I'd say it totally depends on your location. Where I live there is no public transport so a car is a must.
If you go through PA with monitors all you need is your bass, DI pedal, lead and a tuner. Which will all fit in a gig bag.
[/quote]

This is assuming the band owns a proper PA or every venue you play has a decent PA.

Personally, I need to play through an amp.

Blue

It's not impossible but you limit your options. I didn't learn to drive until I was 24 so I was always reliant on keen band members to help me out. I think if you are not driving you should make sure you are pulling your weight in other areas because driving to and particularly from gigs is a pain. It's not an automatic "no" but anyone wanting to audition for one of my bands immediately gets us thinking about how realistic the logistics are. Rehearsals are easy enough but gigs where you need your amp can be harder.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490131858' post='3262551']

I can't speak for UK functions bands. In the States if your an adult looking at joining a functions band to make money you'd have to your own car. It's a must.

Blue
[/quote]
The USA is somewhat larger than the UK, my brother thinks a long drive is from Boston to Tucson and anything less than a day's drive is 'close', over here anything more than a couple of hours drive is 'far away'.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1490127989' post='3262486']
[/quote]
In London or Manchester or maybe other cities with decent public transport this might work. In
the
rest of the civilised world, you will get the gig if there is no-one else, or if you are so much better than everyone else that the rest of the band agree that they will transport you. In the real world this might happen for singers or keyboard players, but rarely for non-scarce resources such as bass players.

So ask yourself, what do i bring to this band over and above other bass players, that is worth the added hassle for someone else in the band to make a potentially significant for to pick me up and drop me off?

Usually if the difference is between someone with transport and someone without, you can see who is going to be offered the gig. Offering to pay fuel costs for someone giving you a lift is the minimum.

Yeah, if you're from oooop nurth like we are you just can't really without a car. Gigs are few and far between and without a car you'll never be able to gig outside the metro system. That might be fine for you but your band mates won't want the headache when every other bass player has a car.

Now, them having the money to put petrol in it is another matter......................

Edited by Jack

IMHO you have to have your own transport. Even if you don't need it right now for your next band, sooner or later you will find yourself wondering why it's so hard for you to hold down a gig or get offered a place in the bands you audition for.

The idea of turning up on the bus with your DI box in your gig bag may seem appealing, and it's certainly cheaper than buying and running a car, but you then have what's known as a "single point of failure". Get to the gig and find the PA is f***ed, and guess what - you're f***ed.

Even if you get there and all is good, you still face the breakdown at 1am followed by trying to get a night bus home again at 2am. Maybe you're still young enough to find that a fun idea. :rolleyes:

Inevitably you'll start cadging lifts off your band mates, and at first they'll be happy to help. Until they realise that you are - quite literally - a passenger in the band.

This is not a good place to be.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1490137420' post='3262631']
I haven't been in a band with a van for decades. I travel to all my gigs in the car. I couldn't make it work any other way.
[/quote]e
I wouldn't have it any other way. Driving back slowly - on my own - listening to the BBC World Service is great downtime!

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1490177909' post='3262819']
That's got me thinking , I transport 2 members in the band , supply the PA & arranged everything ...I think it's time to look for another band I just want to turn up & play bass .
[/quote]

I know the feeling... :D Next band I join I'm going to forget to mention I have a PA and lights,.. Gigging is like moving house...

I've made it to my mid 50s without needing to own a car and have been in many bands that gigged extensively all over the country. In each case the band had a "band van" or similar usually with a soundman/roadie/driver, so not having my own transport has never been an issue.

For local gigs we'd make do with a one or two taxis (depending on how much of our own gear we need to bring and how much was being supplied by the venue or other bands on the bill) but then again originals bands don't have to bother carting a PA and lighting rig around.

From my brief stint in a covers band, it seemed to me that each band member using their own can didn't really make economic sense compared with the single van especially for any gigs any distance away from our home town.

Most musos that dont drive and say its not a problem is because the musos that drive them dont often voice their discontent.

If you live in a city and most venues have the backline, thats great but if like me its pubs and clubs and functions spread out around the county and beyond...

For most drivers, its a drag to have to constantly pick someone up and take them back again. If the first few gigs dont start to grate the next few gigs will. There are some exceptions as there are some folks who will do anything for you and your band always but this is rare.

In any of my past and present bands doing this kind of work,you would have to be something pretty exceptional to be up above the pecking order of someone who does drive. Or you would have to be in a position where the band doesn't have any choice due to lack of competition from other bassists wanting the same gig.

If I were asked to lecture at a BIM type school I would probably give a big speech on how as far as I'm concerned based on personal experience as someone who has had a driving licence since the age of 17, who has been roped into this hassel countless times to the point I will only do it on a " no other option available " and it means I wont get to gig unless I do, a driving licence is as important as owning an instrument. You can always hire a car. You can share the hire and driving of a van. But most of all you have the independence to make your own choices as to which band you want to make the effort for or which you feel is making enough of an effort for you.

I've made the effort to get a licence and get my transport sorted, it was grief and continues to be grief running it, so why should you not have to bother? I get that some muso circles are in the inner cities and owning and parking a car doesn't work ect but all the same, if you get a gig out of the inner city then what?

Yes it makes me angry when I'm asked to do a dep gig and would it be cool if I could just pick such and such up on the way.

As you can tell this makes me cross, so in answer to do you need transport, not if there is someone who can shoulder this responsibility for you but try and remember that no matter what they say to your face you are a pain in the arse. Be very grateful and ALWAYS offer to pay not just a contribution to fuel costs but all of it. They still pay for wear and tear. Make a lot of effort to be that persons bestest band mate ever.

Or get a licence!!!
:angry: :)

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1490180564' post='3262877']
I've made the effort to get a licence and get my transport sorted, it was grief and continues to be grief running it, so why should you not have to bother?
[/quote]

Because some people, myself included, are not allowed to drive for medical reasons.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490182043' post='3262901']
Because some people, myself included, are not allowed to drive for medical reasons.
[/quote]
Yes thats' fair enough. Its a legitimate reason. You are the exception to my rule (rant). But long term, any one without a legitimate reason needs to sort this out IMO