Why become a member? ×

Wide necked Precisions?

Bridgehouse

The neck on my '64 Precision is 44.5mm - and having spent a lot more time on it I'm realising I really do like the width.

Now I'm not going to take it out to every gig out there - even tho it is insured, so I'm looking for a cheap gigging alternative.

Can you suggest a cheap precision with a vintage-ish sound with a neck width of more than 44mn at the nut?

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1490137700' post='3262635']
Meant to say - I think I would prefer a Rosewood board..
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1490138814' post='3262645']
I`m not sure I know of any with a rosewood board that have that width, pretty much all of those seem to be maple, Road Worns, Classic 50s, Roger Waters etc.
[/quote]fender vintage reissue 62 p bass has a C neck

Yeah - been doing a bit of research and I might be out of luck. So I'm after a rosewood C Neck (that's width not profile, confusingly!)

The C neck is 1.75" (44.5mm) at the nut and was standard on Precisions up to '73.

From '73 the B Neck became standard - 1.625" (41.3mm) as it is mostly today. The reissues seem to have the period correct 1.75" but are typically Maple not Rosewood - unless you go Custom Shop.

In fact, I saw a CS 50th Anniv. 1964 P for sale recently - sunburst as well, but it's far too many ££ for a knock-about rough gigging bass...

Looks to be hard to find a RW board 1.75" neck on anything below say, £800.

Theres a lovely CS with rosewood board in guitar guitar Camden - it's actually the bass that made me realise just how awesome CS basses are when i was buying but it's very pricey.

If you want to keep it under a grand but still vintagey you should just get mark at limelight to make you a custom one.

Limelight is an option, I guess. Or I could go find a 50's RW to try and see if I like the maple. It's not like I'm totally maple averse with a '74 P with maple FB, and a Stingray with maple FB as well ;)

Still seems odd to me that there isn't at least one squier or cheaper mexican option with 1.75"

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1490140043' post='3262659']
Yeah - been doing a bit of research and I might be out of luck. So I'm after a rosewood C Neck (that's width not profile, confusingly!)

The C neck is 1.75" (44.5mm) at the nut and was standard on Precisions up to '73.

From '73 the B Neck became standard - 1.625" (41.3mm) as it is mostly today. The reissues seem to have the period correct 1.75" but are typically Maple not Rosewood - unless you go Custom Shop.

In fact, I saw a CS 50th Anniv. 1964 P for sale recently - sunburst as well, but it's far too many ££ for a knock-about rough gigging bass...

Looks to be hard to find a RW board 1.75" neck on anything below say, £800.
[/quote]

My 83 JV Squier MIJ 62 Preci has a 1.75 neck. These can be had for around 800, and are great basses.

Edited by xroads

How rough are the gigs you are planning on playing? Hit folk on the head with your bass Sid Vicious style rough?
Is not the point of buying a really nice bass that you love, playing it? Or do you intend to just play the '64 at home? Can't you gig with it but be careful to use the guitarists '59 Les Paul if you need to club someone over the head, and don't leave the '64 unattended?

No the 64 will get played - at home, recorded, gigged. However, there will be some situations where I wouldn't want to take it - like a festival for instance - not sure I like the idea of it stuffed in the boot for hours on end or overnight, and would be worried about rain, heat, mud, etc. Probably and extreme example.

I wasn't necessarily referring to a rougher gig as the clientele but the environment! Having said that, a good thwack from a Precision would be as good as a 59 burst I reckon - more length to swing and build up momentum.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1490176448' post='3262799']
Could get more difficult now they're cracking down on RW usage too!
[/quote]

Very true. I suspect I will be keeping my eye out for something used. The JV Squier is a good shout - and it looks like the circa. '83 Fenders were also 44.5 (standards and elites)

Vintage. The JV Squires were made at a time when Fenders main output perhaps wasn't at their best so the JV Squires were a good option for the vintage Fender sound/feel - IMO they're not as nice as true vintage Fenders & aren't as good as some of the the vintage re-issues that Fender are putting out now but they're potentially better than a lot of basses Fender were putting out in the 80's/90's. A good option if you can get one for a decent price - up to you to decide what a decent price is, some owners are a little optimistic though.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1490182165' post='3262904']
Vintage. The JV Squires were made at a time when Fenders main output perhaps wasn't at their best so the JV Squires were a good option for the vintage Fender sound/feel - IMO they're not as nice as true vintage Fenders & aren't as good as some of the the vintage re-issues that Fender are putting out now but they're potentially better than a lot of basses Fender were putting out in the 80's/90's. A good option if you can get one for a decent price - up to you to decide what a decent price is, some owners are a little optimistic though.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info - I will have to have a look around to see what the going rates are for them. It's a shame there isn't a new alternative (so I can go try them out) with a relatively low price!

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1490191568' post='3263076']
I know you would prefer rosewood but this just popped up on fb.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/689090051102626/permalink/1461682280510062/?sale_post_id=1461682280510062"]https://www.facebook...461682280510062[/url]
[/quote]

I'm beginning to think I need to consider maple as well ;)

Interested in the dates you cited earlier, my '71 Precision definitely has a B neck as opposed to a C.
In any case, it's not quite a 'cheap' alternative, but the '63 American Vintage fits the bill (if you're looking for it to 'be a Fender'), plus likely to be quite similar to your '64:

[url="http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/precision-bass/american-vintage-%2763-precision-bass/0191010800.html#prefn1=refinement-body-shape&prefn2=series&prefv1=Precision+Bass&prefv2=American+Vintage&cgidx=electric-basses&start=1"]http://shop.fender.c...-basses&start=1[/url]

If not, another vote for an appropriately spec'd JV Squier :)

Si