Why become a member? ×

Wide necked Precisions?

Bridgehouse

Thought I would share a bit more of my thinking and experimenting.

Couldn't really understand why the neck profile on the '64 was so appealing. I play guitar too, and I can adapt to most shapes - some I prefer, some not, but not to this degree.

So I did a very crude 'solder wire' based profile exercise. (Sad, I know..)

Here we go:

The '64 is clearly a flatter, slimmer, wider profile - but for me the biggest difference is less 'shoulder'

I think combined with vintage frets and the 7.5" radius board, I have my answer. Maple or RW doesn't matter, I don't think. It's the neck profile, and to some extent the nut width (but not exclusively)

Well there you go.

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1490366496' post='3264652']
So a custom neck based on the profile of your '64 is what you need.
I understand Shuker can do that for you.

Not sure I'd want to drag a custom Shuker through the mud either though! :lol:
[/quote]

Lol - nor me! I will need to find a 50s classic or RW in a shop and see how the profile compares. Close would be good enough for muddy field duties

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1490367092' post='3264658']
^^ That looks like a fun game! My '57 RI has a wide neck like yours but is apparently a "soft-V" - it's damn comfortable though I've not noticed it feeling particularly like a V. Need to go & buy some solder.
[/quote]

Looking at the 12th fret one on my 64, I actually think it is a slight soft vee - very subtle and you're right, it's difficult to tell. I reckon that would explain the lack of shoulder though..

I hope I haven't accidentally started a rush on solder wire :)

To be fair, it's actually been interesting trying to understand what I like about one neck shape compared to another. I always thought I preferred the 64 to the 74, and the 74 to the stingray. When looking at the profiles I can sort of see why - the 74 sits in between the two in terms of slimness, shoulder and profile.

If the roadwoarn/classic 50's is even just in between the 64 and 74 in profile then I think I'm on to a winner.

[quote name='drake' timestamp='1490445785' post='3265186']
Don't think the Mike Dirnt Precision has been mentioned? A veritable telegraph pole of a neck and with a rosewood board too I think?
[/quote]

I think I've arrived at the conclusion that wide but slim with a very soft vee is the preference.

I'm on the lookout for a classic 50s even tho they are maple, as I think the maple/rw thing is a red herring!

The best you can do is to buy a 5string and transpose it to 4 string.Then you will have a very wide neck.The 40" scale precision i build,is designet for .254,.175,.135,.105 strings.So is 46mm at nut.Now is loaded with .175,.135,.105,.85 strings and the string spacing is very wide.And i can say very easy to play

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1490364548' post='3264622']
Thought I would share a bit more of my thinking and experimenting.

Couldn't really understand why the neck profile on the '64 was so appealing. I play guitar too, and I can adapt to most shapes - some I prefer, some not, but not to this degree.

So I did a very crude 'solder wire' based profile exercise. (Sad, I know..)

Here we go:

The '64 is clearly a flatter, slimmer, wider profile - but for me the biggest difference is less 'shoulder'

I think combined with vintage frets and the 7.5" radius board, I have my answer. Maple or RW doesn't matter, I don't think. It's the neck profile, and to some extent the nut width (but not exclusively)

Well there you go.
[/quote]

That's very interesting. I'll have to do that!

It's a shoulder thing for me too, less is good.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1490516355' post='3265555']

That's very interesting. I'll have to do that!

It's a shoulder thing for me too, less is good.
[/quote]

I wasn't sure it was going to be meaningful at first, but was pleasantly surprised by the result actually. As a comparator it gives a good account of itself.

I can do such a comparison on my Lakland P if it's any help. I think it's very close to the 64-shape, plus the vintagey frets. As for the differences, slab RW vs veneer one, flatter fingerboard board too.

Edited by Hooch

[quote name='Hooch' timestamp='1490530411' post='3265700']
I can do such a comparison on my Lakland P if it's any help. I think it's very close to the 64-shape, plus the vintagey frets. As for the differences, slab RW vs veneer one, flatter fingerboard board too.
[/quote]

It would be useful to know, thanks!

I'm on a similar path as yourself right now, except I'm being even fussier, I want a vintage 60s style P neck, wide and shallow, but with a compound radius, a modern bridge, modern/better access to the higher frets, as well as a vintage sound, in a rather fetching Sunderland AFC red! I promise I'm not too demanding! 😂

My search has taken me to custom built for sure!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1490539307' post='3265775']
I'm on a similar path as yourself right now, except I'm being even fussier, I want a vintage 60s style P neck, wide and shallow, but with a compound radius, a modern bridge, modern/better access to the higher frets, as well as a vintage sound, in a rather fetching Sunderland AFC red! I promise I'm not too demanding! 😂

[/quote]

My old Lull P4 had a great neck, wide 60's style nut with a gorgeous shallow depth so to my taste was easily the nicest wide nut bass I've owned. Plus Lull's have the high end access and modern bridge. Only sold it to get a PJ4, but that's in blooming Chelsea blue rather than Gooner red. :(

[/quote]

Just realised that we have the same bass in our avatars, I remember our previous chat about it :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

I'm on a similar path as yourself right now, except I'm being even fussier, I want a vintage 60s style P neck, wide and shallow, but with a compound radius, a modern bridge, modern/better access to the higher frets, as well as a vintage sound, in a rather fetching Sunderland AFC red! I promise I'm not too demanding!

[/quote]

I've really got used to the 7.5" radius on my 64. The old fender bridge has it's advantages too - easy to adjust string spacing and I've found it very easy to dial in the right string height and intonation settings - much easier than I thought it would be. Oh, and where are these higher frets that you speak of? ;)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1490545814' post='3265856']

My old Lull P4 had a great neck, wide 60's style nut with a gorgeous shallow depth so to my taste was easily the nicest wide nut bass I've owned. Plus Lull's have the high end access and modern bridge. Only sold it to get a PJ4, but that's in blooming Chelsea blue rather than Gooner red. :(
[/quote]
[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1490545923' post='3265857']

Just realised that we have the same bass in our avatars, I remember our previous chat about it :)
[/quote]
I did consider Lull, but going custom in the UK works out cheaper and I have full spec control with the guys on the other end of the phone whilst I'm awake!

Haha, yes that 66 P is the bass that started my GAS! I ended up buying a MIM P as a stop gap and she's done well enough, but she's not ideal neck wise plus I feel she'd have a great rounds P tone! Now though I've had enough of the GAS and I'm playing much more that I can afford to get what I want, within some reason anyway!

Quick update:

Saw a 50s classic advertised on here - black lacquer version. Went to try it today and bought it from a lovely BCer.

I can confirm that the neck profile is identical to my 64.

The maple feels a touch different, but not much. Frets are the same size.

It does sound different, but I expected that. All in all I would say neck feel is 95% the same as the 64, and sound is probably 80%

Very happy and now have a suitable muddy field bass ;)