Why become a member? ×

Uh Oh......NGD....Strat alert

Bassnut62

Resistance was futile in the face of so much GAS. So it is with a guilty hear that today I became the owner of my third Strat-type guitar....a G&L Legacy....it sounds sho nuff funky and plays very nicely too.

My self-imposed one-in/one-out policy means that I have to put up my lovely Gibson Les Paul Junior (2010 Nashville) for sale, here.....
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302751-fs-2010-gibson-les-paul-junior-made-in-nashville-usa/

Does anyone else prefer maple board Strats too?

Edited by Bassnut62

Not a big fan of Strats (the volume control is in the wrong place for me, I keep knocking them) but both Strats & Teles have to have maple boards for me. Rosewood just looks wrong on Fenders to me.

Nice looking guitar, lovely bit of birdseye on the neck.

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1490366218' post='3264649']
I can't ever argue with a maple board, especially with that gorgeous vintage tint on your new Strat! She's a beaut, love the colour
[/quote]

Thanks Rikki, it was the colour and neck tint on Birdseye maple that attracted me. Luckily it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

Liking FFTC's very nice proper Fenders in this thread, I.e. Maple necks.

Edited by Bassnut62

• 3 weeks later...

I sort of have a love-hate thing with strats. No denying their versatility or egonomics and they're at the core of some classic sounds. My Chandler strat is super easy to play - I like the 25.5" scale and maple fingerboard. But the pickups can be harsh sometimes. Mahogany based construction sounds so much nicer.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1491786159' post='3275375']
I sort of have a love-hate thing with strats. No denying their versatility or egonomics and they're at the core of some classic sounds. My Chandler strat is super easy to play - I like the 25.5" scale and maple fingerboard. But the pickups can be harsh sometimes. Mahogany based construction sounds so much nicer.
[/quote]

If you're talking stock Fender pups, I agree. They often sound both harsh and bland to me. Luckily there seem to be some highly respected pup-upgrades. I only have experience of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups for Strat and they are sweet and toneful, with a little bit of bite when dimed.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1491855940' post='3275967']
If you're talking stock Fender pups, I agree. They often sound both harsh and bland to me. Luckily there seem to be some highly respected pup-upgrades. I only have experience of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups for Strat and they are sweet and toneful, with a little bit of bite when dimed.
[/quote]
I think anything faithfully specc'd for a strat. I had a set of obsessively constructed 50's single coils in my Hitmaker-replica and they were TERRIBLE. No reflection on the maker or quality of construction but the sound was just awful. So I threw a set of Fender vintage noiseless in and haven't looked back yet. Neither of my strats are particularly chimey though, the Chandler is more of a crisp, low noise studio tool (EMG's) and the Hitmaker isn't supposed to be too chimey (it does the Nile Rodgers thing really well.)

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1490131760' post='3262548']
Resistance was futile in the face of so much GAS. So it is with a guilty hear that today I became the owner of my third Strat-type guitar....a G&L Legacy....it sounds sho nuff funky and plays very nicely too.

My self-imposed one-in/one-out policy means that I have to put up my lovely Gibson Les Paul Junior (2010 Nashville) for sale, here.....
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302751-fs-2010-gibson-les-paul-junior-made-in-nashville-usa/"]http://basschat.co.u...-nashville-usa/[/url]

Does anyone else prefer maple board Strats too?
[/quote]I prefer maple boards, I have a tele with a maple board and I have a few superstrats some maple some rosewood.

[quote name='MarkariM' timestamp='1492006619' post='3277121']
I prefer maple boards, I have a tele with a maple board and I have a few superstrats some maple some rosewood.
[/quote]

On strats, I definitely prefer maple. Personal preference but I feel like if I'm going to have a strat, it needs to have that super bright sound.