Why become a member? ×

NBD. Sire V7 5

bubinga5

I ordered it from Thomann, and it took 4 days to get to my home. Took it out the box. Lovely tobacco burst with the pearl and blocks. Was in perfect condition. The last two days I've been playing it and i can't find a fault. The tuners aren't great, but they hold tune.

If it wasn't for the tuners, i would easily say this is Lakland Skyline quality.

The tone of this Jazz Bass is where its at. I thought the LH3 preamp was good. Jeeez. This thing is so great sounding.. Love the sweepable mids. Its just a really great super jazz bass tone.

This bass in fit, finish, preamp, neck, is way way beyond its price point. If i were blind folded and played this instrument, i would think it was in the £2000 bracket. But you've all heard this before.

Anyway, i missed the boat, but just found it, and got on it.. how on earth do they do it.? This is a phenomenal jazz bass.

Plus there is some really cool maple wood on the neck of my V7, tis what i love about wood.. Well i like it.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1490142961' post='3262674']
If it wasn't for the tuners, i would easily say this is Lakland Skyline quality.
[/quote]

I've said this before, but even though I agree the tuners do feel a bit cheap when you turn them, I regularly leave mine in a gig bag for a couple of weeks after having moved it in the car from/to a rehearsal and it always amazes me how little I have to tune it (if at all) each time I get it out of the bag, especially compared to most other basses I've owned.

In conclusion, there must be something good about them!

Enjoy yours. I've had GAS for years to get a higher budget boutique or custom bass, but I'm now GAS free after getting mine....until they release the new Precision version that is.....

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1490214305' post='3263374']
what did you go for.?
[/quote]

Fretless 5 v7. Non vintage , ash body. Maple neck. 18mm string spacing. Sunburst with black :)
Will probably get a white plate soon tho :)

My first fretless. Can't wait :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1490218820' post='3263421']
no its not a vintage. Ibe played both and I can't tell the difference
[/quote]

As far as I could tell. The only difference was the pickup spacing. And as I slightly prefer the neck pickup on all my jazzes.... I thought the non vintage was the way to go. As it's bridge pickup is slightly further from the bridge. That's the only reason.

String spacing isn't really an issue for me as I swap between 16.5 and 20 all the time.

Edit. Found this on a sire forum....

difference between V7 and V7 Vintage.

1. Pickup Set
*Normal V7 pickup set is made with a heavy formvar magnet coil.
Heavy Formvar coil produces a good mid range tone and it feels clean and bright.

*V7 Vintage neck pickup is made with a plain enamel magnet coil.
Plain enamel has a good low mid range which posses a very warm and rich tone.
While we did retain the bridge pickup and is still made with heavy formvar coil.
So when the two mix together, it produces warm lows, a good midrange punch and crystal clear highs.

2. Pickup Spacing
*Normal V7 comes under the 60′ jazz pickup spacing which is a standard favorite among bass players.

*The V7 Vintage has a 70’s pickup spacing. The 70’s pickup spacing : the bridge pickup is much nearer towards the bridge. Most players found out that the 70’s pickup spacing produces a punchier sound. Marcus Miller’s original bass has that 70’s pickup spacing which is essential to his signature sound.

3. Bridge
*Normal V7 Series does have a heavy saddle mass. (Made with brass)

*The V7 Vintage has a 60’s style screw type saddle. (Made with steel)
It is a standard type bridge among basses today.

4. Appearance
*The V7 neck binding is ivory and the inlay is a square white pearloid.

*While the V7 Vintage’s neck binding is black and inlay is square black for a more vintage look.

5. Finger board (For Alder Models Only)
*V7 alder model has a rosewood fingerboard.

*While the V7 Vintage model has a hardmaple fingerboard.

Rosewood fingerboard gives out a low to very high sound response. It produces a warm and rich tone.

Maple fingerboard : Strong mid-high tone plus it feels brighter and solid than rosewood which is favored by slap players.

Edited by GisserD

For anyone looking to upgrade the tuners (although yes the stock ones do the job) I can recommend fitting Hipshot Ultralite replacements. Pretty sure I'm not the only one here to have done this..? I went for the cheaper 'Licensed' versions and they're great, although the headstock holes are slightly too big for the tuner posts and I had to pad them out a bit -- 2 or three layers of heatshrink sleeving of a suitable size is perfect for this job.
The other benefit of doing this is that you instantly lose 1/2 a pound of weight from headstock. Yes, I actually weighed them. I must try to get out more :lol: