Why become a member? ×

The Junkyard Dogs finally crack Hemel Hempstead

Happy Jack

It's a good venue, always a crowd in there. Slightly alternative clientele, prefers rock stuff.

Was in there a few weeks ago, band doing classic rock (Thin Lizzy, Robert Palmer etc) and went down very well indeed.

Shame I'm out that night or I'd walk over to say hello!

I've played there twice and it's a good music crowd, if a bit hairy. And I don't just mean hirsute...

I was there with a female fronted funky disco pop kinda band, but one that's used to winning a crowd over.

I think they didn't know what to make of us when the the keys player pulled out both of his Nords... But an open-minded crowd, out for a good time.

Bring weighted speaker stands.

Anyway, have a good gig! I'd have popped down if I wasn't already gigging myself.

Edited by Tonteee

Have a good one Jack.

We've played there a fair bit. It's an unusual one for us, some nights they can't get enough of the rockier numbers but on some occasions the rock stuff has cleared the dance floor and they want Disco/Soul.

Our last visit there a few months back was eventful. One of the drunken punters decided dancing with one of the bar stools was a sound move, he was swinging it around (which cleared the floor quicker than the rock numbers) another punter stepped in to stop him and it didn't end well. The drunk was fine of course but the other fella ended up with his leg facing in the wrong direction and a bone poking out of the flesh :(

Well that was fun. :)

Slow start to the evening, probably no more than 50 people for set #1. Ramped up quickly for set #2 and by set #3 the place was absolutely rammed ... must have been well over 200 people there.

They had four people on Security. There was a beefy Polish lass on her first night at the pub, and she appointed herself guardian of the stage area. She did a truly excellent job all evening of intercepting drunken oafs, over-enthusiastic dancers, and misguided karaoke wannabees. She was so good that the band tipped her as soon as we'd been wedged.

Pub seemed happy, said they'd have us back for sure.

All good.