Why become a member? ×

What does your band charge for weddings?

IainS

Hello all. I just wondered what a typical fee for a wedding gig might be.
I'm in a five piece covers band, mostly 80s and 90s stuff, and we usually play pubs and the occasional 40th/50th birthday gig etc. We've played weddings before but only when we have had some connection to the people getting married so we end up charging mates rates.
We've been offered a wedding in Reading (we're in Kent so have to consider travel expenses) later this year and don't want to undersell ourselves but also don't want to lose the gig.
Any thoughts?

If you haven't already, join the MU as they have great advice available via log in on rates for all kinds of work. There's also sample contract templates to help protect you when you do set a date and price.

All well and good demanding £1200.00 if you are actually worth £1200.00.

I've seen and been in well organised bands that although have the "office" skills to put this in place lack the "music" skills to carry it off. I have witnessed heated post gig discussions resulting in police and ambulance attendance.......

Also a band doing £850.00 including lights, DJ music and striptease act that are experienced and do a good job can easily undercut an equally good band doing the same thing for £1200.00.

I would first go with are you worth in excess of £800.00 if you say so yourself and if so what do you think you can get away with asking. Too high and you could blow it. But before you sell your selves short remember that its likely the client has knowingly or unknowingly booked "Trevor and Daves' blues experience" when they say they will do it for £300.00 so can you do anything on the price.

Another route is via an agency. Some agents are very good these days not like they were years ago and will negotiate very good terms. Some are still a dodgy.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1490180006' post='3262869']
[url="http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/receptions/how-much-does-a-live-band-cost-roughly/298872.html"]http://www.youandyou...hly/298872.html[/url]
[/quote]

This is an oustanding post/answer. Mods - could this maybe be made a sticky?
[color=#444444][font=Proxima-nova, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]"It really can be a bit "how long is a piece of string" to be honest. I used to be involved with the co management of the band my ex partner played in and have posted some guidelines below for you to consider. Not all are applicable, but some might just give you some pointers as to what to do.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#444444][font=Proxima-nova, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]1. Have an idea what kind of music you want. Do you want a mix of all genres or something specific (70's disco , Motown etc). This will also help you when searching for a band if you have an idea of what you want. You can then just Google 70's Disco or Motown etc.

2. Many bands have videos on YouTube or tracks on souncloud. Listen to the video with head phones on. What is the quality of the music like? What is the video quality like? How many views has the video had. What comments are there below it?

3. Use an agent if you want to but bear in mind that with an agent you are usually paying a further 15% + 20% VAT on top of the bands fee. Agents web sites are useful to gain an idea of what budget you might need for your chosen type of act though.

4. Check out the FB page and website of the band. Does it look professional/do the MP3 tracks sound good (again, listen through headphones).

5. Be realistic about your budget. Id a decent DJ costs about £300 then a five piece band may be about £1,000 or more. However, the band might be able to put music through their P.A when they aren't playing which could save the additional cost of a DJ. It's worth giving an idea of your budget when you first enquire.

6. How quickly did they respond to your enquiry? If they get back to you quickly then they are obviously professional and keen for business.

7. What else do they offer you? A first song for you and your groom? Interim music through the PA (saving the cost of a DJ), do they have lights, PA etc

8. What kind of equipment do they have? If they need to hire a PA in that will add to the cost.

9. Where are they based? Are they prepared to travel? Will they need to stay overnight nearby? All these will add to the cost.

10. Any good band should be prepared to visit your venue or at least talk to them before the event to check load in and set up times/power availability/stage set up. The last thing you want on the day when you are being all glam and loved up is a burly drummer tapping you on the shoulder saying "ere love where do you want me to set up!" (You're wedding event manager won't be impressed either, he/she wants to concentrate on you and your guests). Ask your band if they have a stage set that they can give your wedding planner outlining space needed and where evreything goes on the night.

11. What kind of outfits do they wear? Are you happy for them to play in jeans and T shirts or would you prefer they wear something befitting your wedding (stagewear or suits)

12. Visit your local wedding shows. Many bands perform there and may offer a discount to people who visit on the day. Plus, they will have paid to be there. If they are prepared to invest in their promotion it says a lot

13. Ask the band if there is anywhere that you can see them before you book (they might have a regular public gig they can comp you in on). There are lots of excellent bands playing in pubs and clubs up and down the country, Maybe do a little research by going out to see some of them and speaking to them whilst you are there? (also a good excuse for a night out with your intended!)

14. What kind of deposit do they need

15. If your wedding is far in advance will they allow you to pay instalments to help with your budgeting

16. If the quoted price is not within your budget, be honest about what you can pay. If they are free on the date and local to you, they may just meet you halfway as any gig is better than none, after all this is how they make their living. This goes back to my point about giving a ball park idea when enquiring. There's nothing worse than setting your heart on a band and then finding them too expensive for the budget you had in mind.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#444444][font=Proxima-nova, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]17. It's always a nice gesture if you are prepared to provide refreshments for the band (usually a plate of buffet food and a single drink is enough), but be firm and agree in advance what you will do. It's your wedding and they are working for you that night, so they shouldn't expect free drinks all night

18. When you receive a quote, it may cause a sharp intake of breath, but bear in mind you are paying for what tends to be a 12 hour day when everything is taken into account (travel, setting up, sound check, playing , knocking down etc-most of which must be done seamlessly so as not to intrude on your day). It's not as simple as turn up, play and go home!

19. You may want to consider paying the band up front a couple of days before. At midnight when everyone has had a great day and all you want to do is go to sleep (remember, you will have had a long and full on day), and prepare for your honeymoon, the last thing you want to think of is paying someone. If you would prefer to leave it until the night, then perhaps delegate this to someone else like your dad or brother/best man?

20. If you have any questions between booking and the wedding, don't worry about dropping the band a line or ringing them. There is often a long gap between the two things and it's good to have contact to reassure you everything is in hand. Any good band should periodically contact you about things anyway and be prepared to provide receipts etc. Try and always deal with one person from the band-they usually have a designated person who deals with bookings

21. Do your band have PAT tested equipment and public liability insurance? Lots of venues will want this. It says that the equipment is maintained properly and is one less thing for you to worry about!

Above all, remember the band is a big part of making your evening memorable for you and your guests, so they should be respectful of that and go out of their way to make everything from booking to performing stress free and enjoyable."[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

All very useful thoughts, thanks people. I looked through the above link to 'you and your wedding' and had sent that very section to the band to let them mull over what we need to think about. Excellent advice.

It seems that £500 is an absolute minimum and £1000 wouldn't be unreasonable given that 5 people are going to be putting in at least a 12 hour day (with travel etc).

And our drummer's a member of the MU so I'll ask him to have a look at the suggested templates etc.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1490249967' post='3263536']
Would can do it for free or charge £2500 or more !

Bands are like builders the range of quotes is vast and not always connected to the quality of service

What do you guys need to make it worthwhile
[/quote]

It's an interesting question - once expenses are covered, how much money do you think your time is worth? And how do you work out that number?

I'm sure some people will say that you're worth whatever people will pay for you, but there are people in this and other lines of work who fight for equality for pay who would strongly disagree, but maybe that's for another thread...

There is no answer to this.... to many variables.

Also what sort of market are you going after.... general local weddings? High Society functions/weddings?

I'm out of the wedding game now but back in 2008 the wedding band I was playing with was starting at £1950. We regularly used to bring in other aspects (harp/comedians/AV hire) to the function that bumped that up.

I see loads of bands around here underselling themselves though you have to ask what are they offering.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1490182009' post='3262900']

Also a band doing £850.00 including lights, DJ music and striptease act ...
[/quote]

I would pay good money to see the look on the face of the Mother-Of-The-Bride if the Best Man booked a stripper for her daughter's wedding.

:ph34r:

My band has only done one wedding gig (as a 'funky psychedelic blues rock' outfit, we don't often get asked to do them!) and charged the same as we charge for a pub gig. We played two sets of an hour or so each, plus encores, and everyone was happy. I am surprised to read that bands can charge four times what we did and still get the gig, I'm obviously at the wrong end of the market here.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1490266800' post='3263712']
I am surprised to read that bands can charge four times what we did and still get the gig, I'm obviously at the wrong end of the market here.
[/quote]

As soon as you mention the word "wedding", all kinds of businesses will see pound signs and try to rip you off. They rely on the "it's only once, so spare no expense" mentality that many brides-to-be (and mothers of brides-to-be) seem to have. Venues, caterers, accommodation providers - and bands are just part of that sector.

To be fair, playing a wedding can be a very long day and can be quite stressful - but to quadruple your band's normal fee is cynical and greedy IMO. If you want the gig (and plenty of bands don't!) then charge a reasonable fee. What is "reasonable" for each band will vary based on a number of variables of course.

Conan's detailed post is excellent advice. There are so many variables. He's also right that people can see pound signs at the mention of the word "wedding". I guess the bottom line is to decide what you and the band would be happy to earn, taking all that into account and not to fret about it if you find you could have charged a bit more.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1490269644' post='3263745']
Conan's detailed post is excellent advice. There are so many variables. He's also right that people can see pound signs at the mention of the word "wedding". I guess the bottom line is to decide what you and the band would be happy to earn, taking all that into account and not to fret about it if you find you could have charged a bit more.
[/quote]

I think you're right; I'm overthinking it, which wouldn't be a first. Thanks guys.

There seems to be an almost, anything goes for a wedding, as some like to brag about how much they paid for said shindig. In the North East about 1500 is the going rate for a "Proper" wedding band ie one that can play almost anything that is requested, even on the night. They have laptops with song lists and access to music for anything strange that may be requested.

There are wedding bands, and then there are real wedding bands.

We were offered 1500 to do a wedding next year and the punter had only heard one rehearsal?????

[quote name='IainS' timestamp='1490263939' post='3263682']
It's an interesting question - once expenses are covered, how much money do you think your time is worth? And how do you work out that number?

I'm sure some people will say that you're worth whatever people will pay for you, but there are people in this and other lines of work who fight for equality for pay who would strongly disagree, but maybe that's for another thread...
[/quote]

Also every wedding is different ...

Do they have any input into your set beyond what you already play ?
Are you providing PA , lights, DJ or other extras
Do you need to set up and sound check early and hang around (if do is in same room as meal etc)
Is it for a friend or is it for someone who is coming to you "strictly business"
Do you believe your set is tight and your singer good enough to charge a lot
Are you starting out and want to build a reputation for value

So many items to consider

We've worked hard on being a good wedding band and do the outfits, first dance, disco, lights etc etc. Not at the any song out of a hat stage yet, but we're working on it. Where we are though, if you go over a grand people want the earth. Also having 8 people in the band seems to go over punters heads, they struggle to understand why that would be more expensive.

You need to charge the going rate. If you have to drop out at the last minute or one of your band members gets sick you will have serious problems.

The whole band will probably have to arrange their summer holidays around the gig and any other wedding gigs you have; and commit several months in advance.

It's not a pub gig where you call up the landlord Saturday morning and tell them you won't be there.

We don't do wedding gigs but if we did we'd do them for free just for the exposure. :D

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1490286171' post='3263974']
Also every wedding is different ...

Do they have any input into your set beyond what you already play ?
Are you providing PA , lights, DJ or other extras
Do you need to set up and sound check early and hang around (if do is in same room as meal etc)
Is it for a friend or is it for someone who is coming to you "strictly business"
Do you believe your set is tight and your singer good enough to charge a lot
Are you starting out and want to build a reputation for value

So many items to consider
[/quote]

Just about the best post ever :D

The various bands that I've been in all seem to aim for the £1500 mark, although this is ends up being negotiated to less, where the couple's budget is tight. Given the prep beforehand and the fact that you're most likely to be there all day waiting to go on (normally for an abbreviated set because the speeches have been never ending) I don't think £250 per person is unreasonable.

I play in a 5 piece wedding/function band up in the North East of Scotland (Moray to be exact). We have been on the go for about 1.5 years (have full PA, lights etc), our rate just now is £800 for 3.5 hours at a wedding, a lot of the 3-4 piece bands from the bigger cities near me (Inverness & Aberdeen) seem to be charging anything from 1K up to 1800. Even though we appear to be a lot cheaper than some of the other bands in our area a lot of people that inquire are still shocked about our price!!!! I am getting married next year and had put aside £1500 for our band, luckily a got a good deal of £700.

We have started going to a lot of wedding events and running competitions from 25%-50% off our fee's. We have managed to get a lot of bookings for 2017 & 18 that way and has also helped with our publicity.

Funny story, we had a woman ask for us to play at her wedding (exactly 2 months before her day), we gave her the initial quote of £800, which she said was far too expensive, turned out we would have been down a band member that night so gave her a discounted price of £600 as we would have been down one guitar and vocalist. Heard nothing from her, then she turned up at the wedding event we were playing at, we were running a 20% off if you booked on the day deal. She never booked us on the day. Then on the Monday before her wedding, she was getting married on the Saturday, she asked if we could still play and if it would still be the discounted price from the wedding event. And to add the cherry on the cake, she gave us a list of 10 songs she wanted to be played. At the end of the day we polity told her where to shove it.

Typical wedding involves a 4/5pm arrival and leaving at 1am by the time you've packed up, so at least an 8 hour day not including your travel time. Can easily run to 12/14 hours.

Enough to pay each band member an absolute minimum of £150 but realistically more (especially if it's an extra long day), cover expenses, plus a contribution to the "business" to reinvest in PA gear, marketing etc. If you're essentially acting as the agent seeking the gigs out, doing the back and forth of discussion with the client and managing that relationship from enquiry, through sale, to the delivery on the day, then it's also reasonable to take an additional cut for your time and effort, as that can be quite involved for some wedding gigs. All stuff to consider in your price. It's also standard to stipulate that a hot meal and soft drinks be provided for each of you, or if that isn't possible, a small increase in the fee to offset this.

Obviously, the right answer is "as much as you can get away with" though ;)