Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Amp - Evo 1

Raggy

• 3 weeks later...

The Evo1 has just been reviewed in the most recent edition of BGM... Kev Sanders bloody loved it!

check [url="http://www.markbass.it/news-detail/bmg-reviews-the-markbass-evo-1/"]this[/url] out.

I think most of the larger stores have stock if if you want to try one out (including Absolute, Chienmortbb), but best phone to check first.

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1501268566' post='3343771']
I am not sure how I missed this thread but EVO? Oh and the guitar amp looks lovely, the Bass one? Can't say as it will not get past the profanity filter,
[/quote]

Yeah, it's funny how the DV Mark stuff looks so much classier than the MarkBass gear (unless you buy the budget Blackline as I just have!). Almost like they expect bass players to be tacky! :lol: :gas:

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1503337918' post='3357391']
Okay, I have been trying to ignore MB because without exception their stuff is FUGLY, but I have to say the premise behind this makes me very very interested. Great price and too....... hmm
[/quote]

Hah - about time! Besides you have never fessed to what you actually think is a good looking bit of kit? :)

The Markbass AC 121 Lite is still [i]the best[/i] combo for < £1K bar none.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1503339825' post='3357408']

Hah - about time! Besides you have never fessed to what you actually think is a good looking bit of kit? :)

The Markbass AC 121 Lite is still [i]the best[/i] combo for < £1K bar none.
[/quote]

Ha ha! I did fess up, I like Mesa's designs (not all of them)...

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1503343991' post='3357476']
Ha ha! I did fess up, I like Mesa's designs (not all of them)...
[/quote]

Well fair enough! My other combo just happens to be a Mesa so I ain't gonna argue with you about that...:)

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1503337918' post='3357391']
Okay, I have been trying to ignore MB because without exception their stuff is FUGLY...
[/quote]

I don't like the look of single cut basses, but if I found one which played like no other and I had to have it in my life, then I would see beyond the look of it. ;)

Me, I like yellow speakers, and yes, the new EVO1 head is amazing - everyone should try it..! so much so that its pretty much sold out in the UK at the moment....

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1503401863' post='3357874']
I don't like the look of single cut basses, but if I found one which played like no other and I had to have it in my life, then I would see beyond the look of it. ;)

Me, I like yellow speakers, and yes, the new EVO1 head is amazing - everyone should try it..! so much so that its pretty much sold out in the UK at the moment....
[/quote]

I think I may have found my Single Cut :)

Had a good run through with this on Thursday.

Fair sized practice room (about half size of a normal gigging area in a pub. With lots of damping and sound proofing, due to it being a designated practice room.

I'd taken my ashdown abm 2x10 which I knew would be weaker and thinner than a 12 or 15 and break up quicker and my yamaha bb424x.

First thing I noticed was even with the 2x10 volume was not going to be an issue. Nothing was set over 12 o'clock. That includes gain, level and master. The amp felt like it had loads left to give.

Next a quick flick through the amp models. As before, I had the mids turned off and low and high around 12 clock.

The nicest sound without tinkering with the eq too much (as we had 9 new songs to go through) was the channel 1 ampeg svt (yellow led). There's also some real nice valve break up if you start to go past 12 o'clock on the gain.

That sound was lovely and warm, but the richness really shone letting me hear every note without being blisteringly loud. It had a nice fat 'band' sound to it which made a great foundation with the drums, but didnt sound like one instrument blasting through the mix. It found itself fitting well in the mix without really trying. I asked the drummer if he could hear ok and he said it was great. Very clear.

It wasn't hot at all after 3 hours playing either which was quite reassuring.

I can see me eventually tinkering with the eq more alongside the gains to find some really fantastic tones when I get chance.

I've ordered a barefaced super compact so can't wait for that to come so I can try it with that!

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1503407621' post='3357960']
The nicest sound without tinkering with the eq too much (as we had 9 new songs to go through) was the channel 1 ampeg svt (yellow led). There's also some real nice valve break up if you start to go past 12 o'clock on the gain....
[/quote]

I have personally found that a blend of LM3 (position 1) or Trace Elliot (position 2) on the first channel, blended with the SVT as above is pure gold! It creates a solid, clean underlying tone, over which the SVT gives a nice warm growl as you add it to the mix.

I also found this combination sits better in a DI mix for the Front of House, as it is a little more clear and punchy over the PA. (you need to make sure the DI push switch is set to "Post Mix" and you are plugged into DI 1, otherwise it will send each channel separately on 1 and 2. "Pre Mix" is a great feature if you want to give control of the blend to the sound guy, but he may not agree with your mix!).

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1503407621' post='3357960']
I've ordered a barefaced super compact so can't wait for that to come so I can try it with that!
[/quote]

The EVO plays REALLY nicely with the NY122, which is an 800w 4 ohm cab, and £30 cheaper than a Super Compact, so you'll get the full output of the EVO1. You'll need to rotate the badge on the front to make it look neat when standing on its end though!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1505811655' post='3374413']
Anybody compared this amp to the VT500 (or just a VT Bass through an uncoloured amp)?

I've been digging the VT lately but really like the sounds I am hearing from the demos of this.
[/quote]

You're probably going to wanna get you hands on one and try out for yourself, as the answers are likely to be subjective ;) !

The grittier amp models are authentic and very useable, though I think the key is that you can reinforce the varying levels of drive with a solid, clean and punchy underpinning with a clean amp mixed from the other channel. It makes for a characterful sound which still sits strongly in the mix.

The gain staging is also incredibly versatile. Using the midi footswitch (or any midi control, the PC/CC's are published) you can also effectively add several layers of gain - up to 5 in fact! Ch1, Ch2, Ch1&2, Boost On, and if you really need it, put a compressor in one of the channel effects and drive the gain even further, but thats probably getting silly!

As far as I know the are no speaker emulators on this amp.

If it helps the VT sim is very warm, thick but punchy. Its a great sound.

The fx are great too. The chorus is one of the best I've heard and the envelope filter can add full on funk, or used sparingly a bit of grit and punch too.

You can also mix the amp tones with external pedals in an interesting way.

There is a send and return for each channel so rather than having your pedals in line from your bass and effecting both channels, you can have your external fx pedals linked to one channel keeping the other clean of any fx then use your clean channel, your fx channel or a mixture of both.

Edited by la bam