Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Amp - Evo 1

Raggy

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1490182949' post='3262920']
Looks like a development of the Multiamp? Possibly too new for one to come to the SW Bash Kevin?
[/quote]
A cross between the MultiAmp and an LMK.
The 2 channels will go down well.

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1490342882' post='3264371']
Might be a daft newbie question, but what is the benefit of two channels?
[/quote]

You can set each channel up with different settings and use a footswitch to change between them. Or if you use electric and upright you have a channel for each.

Two channels can give you two different setups and the ability to switch between them whenever you like, rather than having to adjust your amp. Markbass do this quite often on their amps.

This has the ability to store six different amp simulations per channel too it seems

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1490340849' post='3264345']
Looks like they've ditched the VLE and VPF controls in favour of the new amp modelling stuff?
[/quote]
Which is a great shame. I find I can get the sound I want very easily using these two controls on my LM3. I couldn't be arsed messing around with Amp emulations - far too complicated for me -.it seems (to me) like a solution to a non-existent problem.

... and why on earth (Flat or Spheroid) two Jack speaket speaker connection, but only one Speakon? Does anyone still use jacks for speakers these days?

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1490464474' post='3265336']
... and why on earth (Flat or Spheroid) two Jack speaket speaker connection, but only one Speakon? Does anyone still use jacks for speakers these days?
[/quote]

I suspect the guitar version will follow... Jacks take up less chassis room too.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1490189583' post='3263039']
A cross between the MultiAmp and an LMK.
The 2 channels will go down well.
[/quote]
[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1490342882' post='3264371']
Might be a daft newbie question, but what is the benefit of two channels?
[/quote]

I have no idea how I missed this thread! OK, so the guitar one is slightly different to the bass one, but they both have two distinctly separate channels (you could plug in two basses/guitars, with same/different settings on each!). On the guitar one, you can toggle between channels, but on the bass version you can [i]also[/i] blend them, so you could have a nice clean LM3 or Trace Elliot on Ch1 and a nice grungy Tech21 or Ampeg on Ch2 and layer the sounds with the "mix" pot; Jaco and notable others were doing this waaay back with multiple heads/cabs, now you can do it yourself in one small box.

On both models, using the software, each channel can be loaded with any of the amp models in either channel, so you could use the channel switch to have different tone/gain settings with the same amp model. As for other functionality, the MB one has a selection of six effects (Compressor, Chorus, Octave, Envelope Filter, Reverb, Delay), which again can be pre-loaded and customised using the software, the effect knob then controls the % of effect verses clean. The guitar version differs that there is a choice of two reverbs.

Using the midi footpedal you can switch/blend channels, toggle effects and there is also a boost switch (as well as toggling the Tuner/Mute). This configuration effectively can give you up to 4 levels of gain/drive if you need it. It really is a nice bit of kit. Its comfortably half way between an LM3/Tube 500 and a Multiamp, but not really "in place' of either. Yes, lots of knobs, but actually very simple to use.

Joss at GAK just did this review of the Guitar one:- https://youtu.be/ImwCO7J09iE Suffice to say, he loves it! The Markbass version is going to be reviewed in Bass Guitar Magazine imminently.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1490295713' post='3264108']
Great that Allan Davies is endorsing them :P
[/quote]

...aaand that'll be Sebo! He's the DV Mark Product manager, and a really genuine, nice guy and musician. He has a thing about cows, all his guitars look like Friesians http://www.fago-cablepro.com/ibanez/ibanez-rg-custom-22-cow-sebo-by-fabio-molinelli/

I like the look of that!

Only 3kg for a 500w amp, tuner, modeller, fx and 2 channels!

Not too sure how good the amp modeller is for bass - but the guitar one sounds awesome!

Bit too high a price bracket for me at the moment, but if its that good it could be a great purchase.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1496233329' post='3309742']
Not too sure how good the amp modeller is for bass - but the guitar one sounds awesome!
[/quote]

I've been using a Multiamp for a couple of years now, the amp models on that are really very good. I have also now had plenty of time to play around with and have gigged the bass EVO1, and it really is very solid.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1496233329' post='3309742']
Only 3kg for a 500w amp, tuner, modeller, fx and 2 channels!
[/quote]

And, more importantly, only £670 ish for all that!

There have been the odd conversations here about how the LM3 could be improved. Variously its been suggested it needs a mute switch, a compressor, a tuner, an aux in, a headphone out, effects loop.... hmm, I wonder who's been listening...?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1501252739' post='3343649']
Has anyone else tried one of these yet?

Im very tempted.

There seems to be no YouTube videos apart from the g a k and markbass one out there, which surprised me.
[/quote]

It was demo-ed at the recent SW Bass Bash by Mojoke