Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Finally got some time during the day to snap a picture!
Gorgeous looking bass.

Al Krow said:

Hey congratulations (and welcome to Basschat!). Looking forward to you posting an obligatory pic of your new bass :)

I'm sure one or more of us can give you some tips for getting some different tones from your new Yammy. A few Qs to get the ball rolling:

- what amp are you using?
- are you more used to playing passive rather than active basses?
- what sort of tone are you looking for / what type of music are you playing?
- are you just using a bass and amp for tone or are you using a pedal board (if so what are the main effects you typically use)?

I swap between the line6 port/ipad and a blackstar fly 3 bass amp.
More for practice really...
I've been using the passive more just because its easier to manage, I dial the pickups just slightly to the bridge and i love that kind of sound, not sure how i would describe it.
I try to learn all kinds of music just to expand my vocabulary, but i think im struggling with finding a nice tone for rock/hard rock...
and im trying not to meddle with pedals right now as it might distract me from getting my technique right and all,im still relatively new to the bass

Edited by Dad3353

I've been using the passive more just because its easier to manage, I dial the pickups just slightly to the bridge and i love that kind of sound, not sure how i would describe it.
I try to learn all kinds of music just to expand my vocabulary, but i think im struggling with finding a nice tone for rock/hard rock...
and i'm trying not to meddle with pedals right now as it might distract me from getting my technique right and all, i'm still relatively new to the bass

Actually I think you are doing exactly the right thing to focus on getting your technique right before adding some "spice" with pedals (and when you do, personally I'd recommend starting with a multi-fx such as a second hand Zoom B3 or newer model B3n which can give you a really good idea of a whole range of pedal effects and then you can go on to get dedicated individual effects, which will each cost as much if not more than your Zoom, if you want to, for the particular effects you are likely to be using a lot).

Do you have a specific rock / hard rock bass track / sound in mind you are trying to get to?

In general terms, I'd suggest:

A "nice" tone for rock / hard rock I suspect will actually be opposite of "nice" and will likely be aggressive / slightly "dirty". That is actually easiest to achieve with an overdrive pedal (or overdrive on your amp, if available), but if you are currently not using pedals, I'd suggest trying the following and see how you get on:
- continue to make the most of the P-Bass sound that you are already using (i.e. just slightly to the bridge), given that you already like this;
- have the tone setting on maximum on your bass to give you a bright sound; this should accentuate any "grit" / overdrive available from the amp;
- increase the gain and correspondingly reduce the volume on your amp to "naturally" overdrive your amp (remember to adjust this back when you don't need a driven sound);
- try playing the strings (with vigour!) nearer the bridge which gives a harsher and more tinny sound vs the more mellow sound you'll get from playing nearer the neck.

Hope that helps. Edited by Al Krow

I've had a BB3000, BB300, BB1100S and a Yamaha Motion III.. for me the 734a is a better fit and it sounds excellent.

Peter Hook has several 1200s, I believe he maybe working with Yamaha on a signature model.

For clarity, he condemned the previous incarnation that Yamaha sent him.

Go and try one. It's the the only way you will ever know.

I've had a BB3000, BB300, BB1100S and a Yamaha Motion III.. for me the 734a is a better fit and it sounds excellent.

Peter Hook has several 1200s, I believe he maybe working with Yamaha on a signature model.

For clarity, he condemned the previous incarnation that Yamaha sent him.

Go and try one. It's the the only way you will ever know.

Ironically, after reading a review in BGM (uk) Mr Hook expressed his dislike for the previous BB range, pretty much ripping Yamaha a new one and sending his trial bass back....

However with the new range out and on tour with his new band, he's taken to the 700 series pretty well. Edited by Dad3353

Ironically, after reading a review in BGM (uk) Mr Hook expressed his dislike for the previous BB range, pretty much ripping Yamaha a new one and sending his trial bass back....

However with the new range out and on tour with his new band, he's taken to the 700 series pretty well.

Yes, my point exactly. Edited by Dad3353

2elliot said:

I've had a BB3000, BB300, BB1100S and a Yamaha Motion III.. for me the 734a is a better fit and it sounds excellent. Peter Hook has several 1200s, I believe he maybe working with Yamaha on a signature model. For clarity, he condemned the previous incarnation that Yamaha sent him. Go and try one. It's the the only way you will ever know.

Peter Hook in BGM (UK):
"My favourite bass ever is the Yamaha BB 1200, which was one of those wonderful accidents of being perfectly crafted, and perfectly balanced, made by an obvious artist of guitars. They’ve never bettered it. They could do worse than just going back to that concept. But the thing is, I don’t want everyone to sound like me, so I shouldn’t really be saying this. Yamaha actually gave me their new, top-of-the-range flagship bass to compare to the BB 1200. And I did. They said, ‘Can you send the review in?’ I said, ‘I can give it to you over the phone if you like.’ The rep said, ‘Okay, right. Let me get a pen.’ And I said, ‘You won’t need a pen. It’s sh*t.’ He said, ‘Can I ask why?’ I said, ‘It has a bolt-on neck, the pickup sounds dreadful. It’s just a crappy sound, mate. It has bad electrics.’ And he said, ‘Well, we probably won’t ask you to review it then. You can keep it.’ Lucky me…"

Was the "flagship" bass that he didn't like the BB 2024?

I'm guessing that if he's prepared to go on record to slag-off the previous flagship without too much concern for his relationship with Yamaha, then he's not someone who will lightly say he's a fan of the new BB734a? (Unless of course Yammy threatened him with a law suit, which he's also on record in the same article in BGM (UK) as saying is his least favourite pastime! :))

The new BB734a's are also, however, not a neck through and for many folk the PUPs on the old series were just fine (and some would go further and say they were excellent and were hoping that they would be replaced with at least as good PUPs in the new series). As ever there will be fans and detractors, but Peter Hook was clearly a MASSIVE (as well as a being a much respected) fan of the BB1200 and bought 7 of them when the model was being discontinued to make sure he never ran out!

For those of you interested, here's his take on the top 10 bass lines from Joy Division and New Order

Edited by Dad3353

Peter Hook in BGM (UK):
"My favourite bass ever is the Yamaha BB 1200, which was one of those wonderful accidents of being perfectly crafted, and perfectly balanced, made by an obvious artist of guitars. They’ve never bettered it. They could do worse than just going back to that concept. But the thing is, I don’t want everyone to sound like me, so I shouldn’t really be saying this. Yamaha actually gave me their new, top-of-the-range flagship bass to compare to the BB 1200. And I did. They said, ‘Can you send the review in?’ I said, ‘I can give it to you over the phone if you like.’ The rep said, ‘Okay, right. Let me get a pen.’ And I said, ‘You won’t need a pen. It’s sh*t.’ He said, ‘Can I ask why?’ I said, ‘It has a bolt-on neck, the pickup sounds dreadful. It’s just a crappy sound, mate. It has bad electrics.’ And he said, ‘Well, we probably won’t ask you to review it then. You can keep it.’ Lucky me…"

Was the "flagship" bass that he didn't like the BB 2024?

I'm guessing that if he's prepared to go on record to slag-off the previous flagship without too much concern for his relationship with Yamaha, then he's not someone who will lightly say he's a fan of the new BB734a? (Unless of course Yammy threatened him with a law suit, which he's also on record in the same article in BGM (UK) as saying is his least favourite pastime! :))

The new BB734a's are also, however, not a neck through and for many folk the PUPs on the old series were just fine (and some would go further and say they were excellent and were hoping that they would be replaced with at least as good PUPs in the new series). As ever there will be fans and detractors, but Peter Hook was clearly a MASSIVE (as well as a being a much respected) fan of the BB1200 and bought 7 of them when the model was being discontinued to make sure he never ran out!

For those of you interested, here's his take on the top 10 bass lines from Joy Division and New Order

You've got a point but then I guess it depends how tied down Hook is to Yamaha... and I don't see him wearing his Yamaha baseball caps, embroided coats and shirts whilst playing THRX amps, Line6 pedals and every Yamaha bass.... so I think he's connected with Yamaha for the years of playing but not necessarily someone to brown nose or essentially paid to say nice things- and that's where I respect him.

For me personally, I don't take Hooks words as gospel as we're both different bassists who play differently and sound differently but we do favour the same flavour of brand.
My BB1025 is the best bass I've owned in a while and I'd love to see a newer model of this come out (as just to another colour finish or pickguard) but it's currently Japanese and + ~£1000 on retail price.

If I was to take opinions on the BB series, if love to hear from the likes of Hook, Kinal, Anthony, East and others who have played BB's for years and hear WHY they'd play the new models and not from the likes of LoMenzo who I've known to be a Warwick Buzzard player for years.... Edited by Dad3353

And buy soon, I meant I was almost there! Tried a few today. The 2024X was lovely, just like my 1025X with a better finished neck, and one less string of course. Still heavy though. The newer BBs sound very different, less scooped, tighter lows and brighter overall. They seemed only slightly lighter than the older BB line.

I didn't go for one though, I picked up the 80s MIJ Jazz Bass Special from Wunjos instead, which kicked the butt of every single Fender PJ in the store and is very light to boot!

• 2 months later...

Bas we may need you to go to the Yammy store and try out!

no playing comparison from me but all I know is that they now have the diagonal bolts for the neck which I think is smart

body is a bit sleeker

pick ups have pole pieces instead of blades and are voiced slightly differently

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, funkydario said:

Hi everybody , just bought a 1025..;anyone knows the pups size ? willing to put a Nordstrand PJ set but need to know the size before placing the order. Bass will be delivered to me end of the week...trying to buy me some time ..

thanx 

I'd gladly put my hand up and announce I'm wrong but I thought due to the unique design of the BB pups they couldn't be replaced by anything other than other BB pups.

• Like 1

Yeah the BB42x/102x series pickups have metal surrounds on them anyway so I reckon you could just get some new ones made to fit the new pickups?

I will say, however, that the stock pickups in these basses are some of the best I’ve used in any bass. Give the BB a good trial in stock config before dumping a load of money on upgrades - video demos won’t do it full justice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Yeah the BB42x/102x series pickups have metal surrounds on them anyway so I reckon you could just get some new ones made to fit the new pickups?

I will say, however, that the stock pickups in these basses are some of the best I’ve used in any bass. Give the BB a good trial in stock config before dumping a load of money on upgrades - video demos won’t do it full justice.

Yes i will definetly do give it a good trila period...thanx you all for the advices !!It's a  1025...so i would have to ask carey Nordstrand for a custom housing...long and not cheap i guess !!

Sounds like you could end up spending almost as much on some new customised PUPs as you have just done on your used bass, from the price you reported on the parallel thread? And actually you could risk the bass being of less value in terms of re sale price if you swap out the original PUPs than just by sticking with the much liked existing ones.

I completely agree with the comments above to give the Yammy PUPs a good try out first. They really are very good!

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like you could end up spending almost as much on some new customised PUPs as you have just done on your used bass, from the price you reported on the parallel thread? And actually you could risk the bass being of less value in terms of re sale price if you swap out the original PUPs than just by sticking with the much liked existing ones.

I completely agree with the comments above to give the Yammy PUPs a good try out first. They really are very good!

The different size of pups put the upgrade in an another completely different perspective...financially speaking. I'll stay with the yammy pups...saving for another bass with Nordy PJ ...because i am in love with this sound !!