Why become a member? ×

Fretless over Fretted

BassApprentice

[quote name='Rothko' timestamp='1490362910' post='3264606']
I've long had a love/hate relationship with fretless bass. I can play one happily for a week, then suddenly want to chuck it out of the window, it sounds so whiney, out of tune, and generally hideous.

I dislike most fretless bass playing almost as much as my own - it can sound so lazy and flatulent. The best fretless playing just sounds like a bass - you shouldn't really be able to tell straight away whether it's fretless or not.

But I'd never want to be without one. It's a whole load of fun. It should just be very rarely allowed in public.
[/quote]
Sorry I don't get that.
I think I can almost always hear a fretless when it's being played in pop /rock music, Mick Karn, Pino, , Levin, It all stands out so wonderfully when they go fretless?

So I’m not an expert in any style of Bass playing but my solid bodied electric fretless is what I use for all my acoustic trio gigs. When I’ve switched to fretless for occasional songs in various pop/metal/rock bands before, the benefits have been outweighed by the faff in changing instruments and all the inconstancies that brings to the band sound. It’s certainly versatile though, I loved the sound of fretless on an original metalcore track we played (Lesson Learned) about 15 years ago :D . Damn shame I joined just after they recorded that EP with the guitarist playing the bass parts.

[quote name='ba55i5t' timestamp='1490702457' post='3267157']
I played fretless back in high school for the jazz band. Took it to a classic rock gig and got chastised for "bad intonation", even though it was a lined fretless.
[/quote]

You sure it wasn't the lead guitarist trying to shift the blame for his off-key string bends?

I play in a metal band, so rehearsals and gigs are fretted but only so that I can get the clacky 'metal on metal' sound. Playing everything else (depping, home practice, writing and recording) is a job for the fretless. I just prefer the sound of the fretless and the amount of expression available is vastly superior to fretted basses (in my opinion).

[quote name='ba55i5t' timestamp='1490702457' post='3267157']
I played fretless back in high school for the jazz band. Took it to a classic rock gig and got chastised for "bad intonation", even though it was a lined fretless.
[/quote]

Lines on a fretless won't necessarily stop you having bad intonation.

At the moment I have a pair of very similar J-basses, but one is fretted and one fretless.

I think that fretless is better for more expressive playing, but less suited to punchy/attacking parts, where the strings just clatter against the neck.

Jazz is the most obvious place for fretless, and heavy metal probably the least.

But it's not black and white - many jazz-rockers play fretted and Mo Foster used a fretless on the first MSG album.

With original material, I guess the bass player can do what fits.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1490709618' post='3267253']
...one of the bands I'm in recreates an album with a very distinctive fretless P tone. So while we're doing that, I'll keep it.
[/quote]

Would that be the fretless P tone of Rod Clements by any chance? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1490711272' post='3267280']
It sure is! And what a wonderful noise it is, too :-)
[/quote]

Yeah, it's superb. Must be fun for you playing all those great bass parts on those wonderful old songs.

I had a spell of about a year of only fretless, just because my 5 string F. Jazz was to heavy for a damaged shoulder and the fretless was lighter. I don't think anyone noticed other than it was not a Fender. If you don't slide around and finger accurately it's very hard to tell often. I remember a gig with Robben Ford after he had parted company with Roscoe Beck, and his bass player was on a fretless Jazz for the whole gig. Play what you like and don't be intimidated by others.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1490709618' post='3267253']
Fretted for me, but I have a lovely '71 fretless P, too.

Truth be told I'd probably sell it, but one of the bands I'm in recreates an album with a very distinctive fretless P tone. So while we're doing that, I'll keep it.
[/quote]
If you do ever sell it I bagsy first dibs!

My very first bass was fretless and no fretted bass has ever made it much past a year in what passes for my world. And I can't recall ever playing even a single gig on a fretted bass, ever. It's just another thing like so many others where I greatly enjoy hearing other people play something (gear, various and sundry musical styles, cover tunes "like the record", etc.), but it just doesn't really work at all for me.

In any case, my choice has little to do with how a fretless sounds. I simply detest the feel of speed bumps for bass! They're fine for guitars though, and I just play my guitar if I want that feel.

And with all that said, I did just get in a five string fretted bass to use as test equipment in my electronics shop. I did a gear trade and ended up with something hilariously more uptown than what I was actually looking for, so maybe this one will take. It's been just over thirty years since I sold my my last one, a 70s Fender Jazz that was most definitely not one of the "good ones" from that era.

Edited by Passinwind

I have both fretted and fret less basses but choose wisely depended on the situation. My fretted comes out when a bit more punch and clarity is required (rock, funk etc) but bring the fret less out for the jazzy stuff where the extra little slides and vibrato are more noticeable. Also I find the eq more important on a fretless especially the mids, it really does make it a more personal and expressive instrument than its fretted counterpart.