Why become a member? ×

Small tiltback combo

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1490225595' post='3263488']
I'm going to try a gigging going straight into my PA with new active subs via my Roland GR55 & Ashdown graphic DI , I'm very impressed with the sound but could do with a tiny combo I could plonk on top of the sub for a monitor ,any suggestions.
[/quote]

Ibanez Promethean.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1490254948' post='3263564']
Depends on wattage I suppose, not that much needed as just on-stage sound. Hartke Kickbacks have a good clear sound, may be worth checking those.
[/quote] It sounded pretty good standing behind the PA I just need something for a bit more definition on my side .I'll probably only use this set up in the pub /small club gigs as it's to save carrying gear & give more space ,Larger venues I'll just use my Ashdown Rig. I'm going to have a look at that Ashdown Mi combo on here .

If you can find one on ebay i'd suggest one of the old Behringer BX1200 Combos these were the direct Rip off the Hartke Kickback stuff mine was amazing for this purpose and it was Built like a tank part of the problem as its not exactly light. Discontinued because they were just FAR too blately a rip off , Aluminium cone and all mine was even used as an Active PA monitor for while even abused by an electric drum kit without skipping a beat , eventually sold to a guy who wanted to use it as a Pit Amp for peanuts.

They are also dirt cheap as no-one knows or really looks for them anymore .

120 watt's 2 channel I even remember linking the Octave "ultrabass" feature
they did a smaller 60 watt version but i've not used it

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-Ultrabass-BX1200-Dynamizer-Amplifier-/132132506921?hash=item1ec3b60d29:g:03AAAOSwtfhYo16X"]http://www.ebay.co.u...3AAAOSwtfhYo16X

I[/url]f you do buy one I found the footswitch for it the other day after thinking it left at a gig :blush: which i'll gladly pass on.

Edited by synthaside

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1490265454' post='3263699']
If you can find one on ebay i'd suggest one of the old Behringer BX1200 Combos these were the direct Rip off the Hartke Kickback stuff mine was amazing for this purpose and it was Built like a tank part of the problem as its not exactly light.
[/quote]

"not exactly light" is a bit of an understatement, these things are really heavy and awkward to carry. Not much point having one of these if the object of the exercise is to use a PA and not need an amp - you may as will bring your normal rig rather than one of these.

I use a fender bassman 100 combo for the small gigs and its got a tilt back feature. 4ohm speaker means you get the full 100w out of the combo. Its a great sounding wee amp, used it to record an album along with its D.I. out. Sweepable mids etc so you can make its a bit more mid forward for monitoring purposes if needed. It's solidly built and has an eminemce speaker! No longer made but well worth a try if you can find one.

Its this one....

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-bassman-100-combo-amp"]http://www.musicians...n-100-combo-amp[/url]

Edited by krispn

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1490253912' post='3263554']
How about a Genz Benz 3.0-8T its not a tilt back but that's easily solved.
[/quote]
The 10t was tilt back. I wouldn't go for the 8, but the 10t was a lovely sounding combo. I regret selling mine.

Not very cool I know, but have you thought of the Laney R3, now known as the RB3?

I had this amp myself, and used it for very similar uses, including drum monitor, vocal monitor, occasional table... In short, it's a sturdy, pleasant sounding unit. Has a decent enough compressor on board, too. Not huge either.

I still use the original Harke Kickback 10 for just such a purpose. It actually gives me my best on-stage sound but I don't get to use it much as most drummers want the bass louder than it will go. The new generation Kickbacks seem to go louder and should be an easier carry, I haven't tried them though.

Ultimately somthing has to give when your talking the Cost , Weight , function triangle , you pick your Two and go with it

If its cheap and light it wont sound good, im looking at you cheap backless combo amp for 50 quid

If its cheap an made of pig iron it might sound ok :P horses for courses ... if you're in a position to worry about weight then its gonna cost more

Edited by synthaside

A friend of mine has a Hartke 120 watt combo which is a great little amp, quite loud, and has a tilt back option.

I also recommend one of the new Fender 100 watt Rumbles. Loud, cheap and insanely light. I've used one a few times and was very impressed at how well it could keep up with a drummer.

Edited by gjones

I was surprised how good the GK Backline 110 (70w) was when I bought one. So much so that even after parting with a ton of gear I still have this...saw one on eBay recently for £80 (well underpriced).

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1490444960' post='3265179']
I was surprised how good the GK Backline 110 (70w) was when I bought one. So much so that even after parting with a ton of gear I still have this...saw one on eBay recently for £80 (well underpriced).
[/quote]

These amps are excellent! Gutted I sold one a few years back. Far more portable than the old hartke kickbacks and similar in sound quality.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' timestamp='1490696989' post='3267092']
I found the new Hartke 12" kickback seriously under-powered when next to a real drum kit. I think the cab was just too small, maybe the 15" would work better.
[/quote]

Never used the new range but the old kickbacks were excellent, though unfortunately not small or lightweight. I found the old kickback 15 a nightmare to move about, really awkward to get through doors