Why become a member? ×

Covers band, drummer getting bored...

uk_lefty

We play crowd pleasers, we aren't as polished as a wedding or function band but we don't consider ourselves a pub band either. We get steady gigs doing outdoor festivals, private parties and soon weddings too. Problem is our drummer is getting bored with four to the floor. We can't venture in to obscure led zep tracks, but any suggestions for "drummers favourite" covers? We need to keep him happy, he's a great guy and a good drummer, as well as doing loads of behind the scenes stuff too.

Has your drummer put forward any song suggestions? If not I suggest asking him first and at the same time having a conversation about the type of song you think will and won't work. Introducing new songs that he has suggested should help keep his interest but they also need to work for the whole band and your audience.

Sorry I don't have any specific song suggestions.

You didn't describe your genre. There's all sorts of songs with interesting little challenges for the drummer but if they don't fit in with your set then you won't find the suggestions helpful.

In the end though most of the great British public can't dance to anything in an unusual time signature so most of your set is always going to be 4/4 with the emphasis on 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.

Have a look at other bands that play the same sort of thing as you. Check their websites and FB pages ect and see if there are any gems that could work for you.

Occasionally in my band we entertain each others more obscure ideas. We just learn em and gig em. Sometimes they just fizzle out naturally within a month or two from lack of interest both on and off the pitch and sometimes we all prove ourselves wrong because something you think is a dead duck ends up a full on winner.

We have asked for his ideas, some are ok some not so good but we are a democratic bunch who give most things a go. Maybe more funky songs gives him more licence to thrill.
Our genre is rock/ soul. We go from sharp dressed man (yes, I have sent him the drummer at the wrong gig video to demonstrate you can add some flash to it) and Johnny B Goode through to soul man, Duran Duran, Bryan Adams and now some Paolo nutini. We have so many songs on our roster now it's hard for the rest of us to keep up, but we need to keep it fresh otherwise everyone will get bored of us when we come back year on year.

Try funk or latin, especially the various Brazilian styles which include 2/4, 12/8, 6/8. then there's 5/4 (e.g. Take Five). I play drums too and stopped playing 4 to the floor when I discovered funk and samba. Top funk players to check out; Mike Clark (Headhunters), Idris Muhammed, Ziggy Modeliste (Meters), Dave Garibaldi (Tower of Power), Jabo Starkes and Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown) Bernard Purdie, Adam Deitch (John Scofield)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1490262755' post='3263649']
I play drums in a few bands. I only ever get bored when the song is rubbish, otherwise, playing a simple beat and listening to the rest of the band play a good song well is entertaining enough
[/quote]

You sound like everyone's dream drummer. No wonder you play in several bands.

IMO, it's our responsibility as individual musician to resolve boredom not the bands.

We play songs that I dreaded playing that are now songs I look forward to playing.

If your bored with a song, figure out a way to make your part fun and one that you can commit to.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490312491' post='3264300']
IMO, it's our responsibility as individual musician to resolve boredom not the vands.
We play songs that a I dreaded playing that are now songs I look forward to playing.
If your bored with a song, figure out a way to make your part fun and one that you can commit to.
Blue
[/quote]

Blue, you beat me to it. Exactly the point I was going to make.

If the drummer's bored tell him it's his job to work on it. Different drum patterns can improve the songs without killing them, changing the feel or turning them into a drum solo.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490312491' post='3264300']
IMO, it's our responsibility as individual musician to resolve boredom not the vands.

We play songs that a I dreaded playing that are now songs I look forward to playing.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes indeed :) As I said before; ask the drummer if there are any tracks he'd like to play. But also ask if there's anything you, or the other band members could do to make the songs more fun and/or more challenging for all of you....

Something that amuses me, as Blue says, there were songs I either didn't like or dreaded playing
- but these have (mostly) become songs I now enjoy playing....

Is your drummer still with the band?