Why become a member? ×

Do all precisions sound the same

Dropzone

Well, they nearly all sound like precisions but the tones vary wildly. I tried loads in the last few months & the difference between all the basses I played was incredible considering they were all 4 string P's with the one split pickup!

If it was a rock gig & they were all sharing a tubey stack that might have made them sound more similar especially as most rock bands try to find very similar bass tones as we all know what just works.

Here's an example - you'll hear that the 70's one absolutely slays the others.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgzD3vcrExE[/media]

Edited by Lw.

I have three Fender Precisions. The two US Standards (one 2012, one 2015) sound very similar when using the same type of strings, though one has a rosewood fingerboard and the other a maple one. The third one is a recent MiM standard, also maple, which sounds fine but different to the US Standards. I had a quarter pounder pick up fitted to bring it closer to the US sound, and though it now sounds quite a bit better than it did, it is still different to the US standards.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1490267184' post='3263718']
So is the consensus that the US ones are the more preferred choice? Ta Mike
[/quote]

Not necessarily, my MiM Precision is perfectly good bass, it sounds different to the US Precisions, but not worse, just a slightly different sound.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1490265553' post='3263701']
Well, they nearly all sound like precisions but the tones vary wildly. I tried loads in the last few months & the difference between all the basses I played was incredible considering they were all 4 string P's with the one split pickup!

If it was a rock gig & they were all sharing a tubey stack that might have made them sound more similar especially as most rock bands try to find very similar bass tones as we all know what just works.

[/quote]

I've seen that, too. Whilst I wouldn't say the 70s P absolutely slays the others - the Jap gets quite close at times - it does sound better and has that lovely stringy edge the others lack (although we don't know whether all had the same strings, of the same age/amount of wear, etc, etc). It certainly proves they sound different.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1490265553' post='3263701']

[/quote]

That's a great vid.

So then - the extra bite from the Ash Body & Maple one. Is that from the Ash or the Maple or both?

I really like the grind that one has.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1490270088' post='3263750']
So then - the extra bite from the Ash Body & Maple one. Is that from the Ash or the Maple or both?
[/quote]

Whilst I'm sure they do something I'd say it's more likely to come from the pick-up & the tone cap with maybe a little of the different neck dimensions thrown in.

Hard to say though really isn't it? One thing I took from that video & my search when I was buying is that I probably wouldn't buy a P unseen for anything more than super low budget - there's just so much variation on the theme that I think you need to feel & hear them before you commit to a big purchase.

As others say, there are differences - sometimes subtle, sometimes rather more noticeable. It will of course, depend on what you perceive as "better" too. Here's a link to a video comparing a Squier Classic Vibe P bass, with a 70's Fender P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBsRugtw6I

There's another batch of videos somewhere on youtube, where players were blindfolded and asked to choose between a Squier CV, a US Fender and a Custom Shop US Fender. Mostly, players thought the Squier was either the US or Custom....

[/quote]

Predictably I'll say the Fender Road Worn P is up there with the very best of 'em, though it be a MIM. Plays and sounds better than a lot of USAs I've played, including my 1976 P. Best bang for your buck, especially second hand. Having said that, I'm close to being sure that how any P Bass sounds is largely down to how it's played, by whom, and in what context.

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

Ive 2 Japanse P basses which tick all the boxes and had an MIM with a gorgeous tone

With regard to the original question, Id saying pretty much or almost, though the range of what you can do with them is vast

Edited by lojo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1490271643' post='3263777']
... I'm close to being sure that how any P Bass sounds is largely down to how it's played, by whom, and in what context.
[/quote]

That is dangerously close to saying it's all in the fingers!!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1490271147' post='3263769']
As others say, there are differences - sometimes subtle, sometimes rather more noticeable. It will of course, depend on what you perceive as "better" too. Here's a link to a video comparing a Squier Classic Vibe P bass, with a 70's Fender P

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBsRugtw6I"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-BBsRugtw6I[/url]

There's another batch of videos somewhere on youtube, where players were blindfolded and asked to choose between a Squier CV, a US Fender and a Custom Shop US Fender. Mostly, players thought the Squier was either the US or Custom....
[/quote]

I can absolutely tell the difference between the Squire and the '75 here. Is one better than the other? No, they're simply different, the '75 had a bit more depth, bit more low end to my ears.
Is someone going to hear the difference at a gig....through a PA....behind a band? Probably not. Really it depends which plays best in your hands.
Those Classic Vibes are generally fantastic though.

Si