Why become a member? ×

Do all precisions sound the same

Dropzone

It's my humble opinion no two *insert model/brand here* of anything sound identical. Wood is an organic material and each piece is unique which will have some impact on its resonance and sound producing properties. Throw in electrics, strings, paint or finish, amp, build quality and then the player. That's a huge recipe of minor differences that all add up to a slightly varying end product.
Now, how about a nice non Fender P?

I like red ones ;) .......... Today :lol:

http://youtu.be/cIiN7LRCA2Q

Edited by Dazed

So many variables, but essentially they will all sound like a Precision, as Tim says, subtle differences, but still Precision-like. The only one I`ve had that was radically different was a 78 ash/maple Precision. It was so aggressive, for the older Basschatters out there, the easiest way to describe it is it was like Rev Ian Paisley, it barked at you.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490274234' post='3263818']
I can absolutely tell the difference between the Squire and the '75 here. Is one better than the other? No, they're simply different, the '75 had a bit more depth, bit more low end to my ears.
Is someone going to hear the difference at a gig....through a PA....behind a band? Probably not. Really it depends which plays best in your hands.
Those Classic Vibes are generally fantastic though.

Si
[/quote]

Yes, of course, as we've both said; Neither is necessarily the "better" - But personal preference and budget also come in to play. I know if I had anything older than a '75 Fender (say my Y.O.B. bass, for instance, and I'm not telling! lol) I may just be too scared to take it out of the house, to play in certain venues... so no matter how good or how much better it sounded, it wouldn't necessarily get gigged much.

What we also need to consider when comparing such youtube and online footage, is how much compression has taken place when uploading the video, and not least, what speakers or headphones are you listening on? When I first heard the basses being played in LW's link, I was listening with some earphones - I could tell the 70's US bass apart from the others. But the lower end of the Mex bass sounded better. Switched to my desktop speakers, and it was another story. Mind you, they still all sounded like Precisions....

I've got a few P's - two of them with identical pickups and wiring looms, and they both sound different. The Squier CV just seems to have a better low end some days, other days it's my RW. Even when I've taken them both out (one as spare, or just so I can compare them in a live situation) and plugged them into the same rig!

Then of course, what sounds "better" on its' own, may be rather different when the rest of the band has plugged in. Whatever you say about Precisions, and at risk of repeating what's been said ad infinitum before.... A good P bass just seems to be able to cut through in the mix..... Again, some may do it slightly better than others...

Edited by Marc S

The majority of the 'P Bass' tone comes from the type of pickup and it's position. Stick the same pickup in the same place on a Musicman bass or a Jazz bass, it's still going to 'do' that P Bass thing. They will all of course be affected by all the other variables that makes one bass [i]slightly[/i] different in tone to another. Indeed, even the same pickup type can be engineered for different sounds, i.e, More mids, less gain etc, etc - but the split coil arrangement [i]still[/i] sounds more P than a single coil J in the same position.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490296275' post='3264115']
I have and gig with several basses. 2 are MIJ Fender Ps. I sound the same on both.

Blue
[/quote]

Aren't yours the 50s stlye ones with the non-split pickup though?

Do they sound the same as a split pickup P?

I've had an MIJ squier silver series, a more recent standard MIJ from early 2000s, a 1996 USA and a 1970 Precision.

They've all sounded broadly in the same ballpark, but all different.

The USA 1996 one was by far the loudest and fattest sounding, but also the heaviest by some distance.

The old P is a bit gentler and woodier sounding being vintage I guess.

Both MIJ ones I had were decent too, tho a bit more generic sounding - tho they still had that rich, throaty thump and growl which you want.

So in a nutshell, any decent precision will give you broadly the precision sound, but all instruments sound slightly different and Ps are no exception.

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1490296788' post='3264123']

Aren't yours the 50s stlye ones with the non-split pickup though?

Do they sound the same as a split pickup P?
[/quote]

I contend I sound the same regardless of what bass I'm playing.

Blue

I've always found a tonal difference between the maple necks and Rosewood versions.
Not sure why that happens but when i've tried the same models but with different neck woods the maple sounded a bit sharper or twangy and more suited for slap styles than a rosewood one which to me sounded more rounded.

I'm no expert on the different pick ups or country of origin and find them pretty much same.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I really love the sound of a P bass. I'm not alone. I don't know what it is about it but it has an earthy sort of hollowed out goodness that sort of gives me 'bassbumps'.

Wood as a natural growth isn't consistent in texture and resonance for any one piece of wood will be different to any other. The neck, a long slender pole will be even more so. I think the rosewood vs maple conundrum has little if anything to do with strings touching wood and everything to do with neck resonance.

Then, as Dood rightly points out pickup type and position is key. No two pickups are identical either. Given the variables it would be nigh on impossible to produce a mirror image tone on two 'identical' basses.

In a classic rock band with a loud drummer and a competing lead guitarist I've usually found a P bass struggling myself. When the need is for some sort of 'bass influence' in the mix something more lower mid focussed seems to be more effective.

But I still love that tone :)

Despite what I am constantly being told, I feel that I can get a very Precision-like tone from a Jazz bass. OK, maybe not in a solo situation in in a studio when DI'd... but certainly withing a band rehearsal or gig scenario. Others tell me I'm wrong, but that doesn't change my opinion! :)

I've also played (and owned) P basses that lack that warm, woody "thump" that others refer to.

I'm not sure any of this helps or adds to the discussion though :gas:

My MIJ precision, 1970 reissue, has the thickest neck in the world and the Steve Harris signature pickup and strings. It's got a real focus on the low mids. Sounds like a P but less "thump" and more of a rounded presence. I'm going to put a badass bridge on it soon as I think that will accent the mids more.
Would love an ash and maple P for that sharp attack though :)
I'd recommend picking up a second hand Japanese P, can't go wrong.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1490343813' post='3264381']
Oo-er, we're getting dangerously close to saying that body wood has a bearing on tone! :unsure:
[/quote]

But that's.......something I won't get drawn into discussing!