Why become a member? ×

Weird Audition

pbasspecial

I'm not a brilliant musician. I can learn to play a song and I can play a set list well but I can't improvise well. I've tried to learn but maybe at 40+ I started a bit late.

I had an audition. I asked for some sort of a set list so I could prepare myslf. I told the main man that I didn't do on the spot chord charts. The few songs that I'd even heard of (this guy played stuff from before even my time) turned out to be entirely different songs to the ones I'd learnt. We spoke on the phone several times and each time I stressed that I didn't do chord charts.

I really don't know why I bothered turning up. Chord chart followed chord chart and it became more and more embarrassing for me and the other band members. We went for a pint afterwards but I didn't even bother asking about the chances of me getting a slot in the band. I really didn't want that burden.

Sounds like there management skills are a little lacking, but surely if they are in there later years its not going to be a World Tour gig or the next big album. They are probably very relaxed, as they do this mainly for fun, and may have other things going on in there life that are more important. Also, as has been pointed out, semi pro bands mostly go for people who are a good fit personality wise, as long as they can play. Dont take it personally, its only rock and roll.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1490315707' post='3264318']

We've never told people "there and then", because we want to have a chat among ourselves first.

But we always contact them within a day or so. If it's the right person, then why wait. If it's not the right person, why delay? Once you find someone who fits, that's it.
[/quote]
I wish that everyone took that approach, but it's unusual in my experience.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490319743' post='3264323']
I had to audition 3 times before I was offered the job as bass guitarist with my current band of 5 years.

IMO, if your offered the job on the spot, chances are you haven't been offered much.

Blue
[/quote]

Unless we're talking signing in with a band with the income of Metallica... a good bass player would be already gigging with another band by the time the second audition came along.

If you know what you want, you grab it when you find it.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1490343276' post='3264374']
In that case you just ask the person to wait while you chat. When you're negotiating contracts at work that's perfectly acceptable to have private chats before sealing any deals.
[/quote]

It's a possibility, but not what we like to do.

Feeling you have someone there waiting is not ideal, and it doesn't work if you had 2-3 people playing with you that evening. Having a couple of drinks afterwards, relaxed... I certainly prefer that. Often when you find the right one everybody agrees right from the start so a decision on the spot can be made. But in a 6-8 piece it's not unusual to have someone who is not 100% convinced about something and different people pick on different things. It's good to talk.
There was a trombone player that seemed great. We all liked him. Except one of us thought he knew about this person, and it wasn't a good thing... so we chatted and decided to make a couple of calls to verify.
Nah, I don't like to rush for no reason.

I've never had the "never call back" thing as most of the auditions Ive done, the people have been really nice and polite and always got back either way. To be honest, I imagine it's almost as frustrating to never hear back as it is to have them ask you on the spot, before you've even taken your bass off your shoulder "we want you, do you want to join?!?!?"....

For me, both parties should be allowed to leave without discussing it in any real detail and inform the other people of their thoughts within a day or two, because when you're put on the spot, you are hardly going to say "thanks but no thanks" in a room full of 5 or 6 people who are anxious to find someone and get things going!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1490346248' post='3264415']
I've never had the "never call back" thing as most of the auditions Ive done, the people have been really nice and polite and always got back either way. To be honest, I imagine it's almost as frustrating to never hear back as it is to have them ask you on the spot, before you've even taken your bass off your shoulder "we want you, do you want to join?!?!?"....

For me, both parties should be allowed to leave without discussing it in any real detail and inform the other people of their thoughts within a day or two, because when you're put on the spot, you are hardly going to say "thanks but no thanks" in a room full of 5 or 6 people who are anxious to find someone and get things going!
[/quote]

Very good point. This happened to me and I lived to regret it. I had to make some excuses to get out of the band a few weeks later. I felt really bad about it because I felt I had been wasting their time while they could have been looking for another bass player.

I learned a few things though. Firstly, if an originals band send you 4 songs to learn they are likely to be their four best songs! The rest of the back catalogue might be a bit rubbish. Research first.

Also, never agree to anything then and there unless you are really sure.

And finally, if you suspect that the drummer is a bit of a Fascist, he probably is. Trust your instincts. :-)

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1490343789' post='3264380']
I'm not a brilliant musician. I can learn to play a song and I can play a set list well but I can't improvise well. I've tried to learn but maybe at 40+ I started a bit late.

I had an audition. I asked for some sort of a set list so I could prepare myslf. I told the main man that I didn't do on the spot chord charts. The few songs that I'd even heard of (this guy played stuff from before even my time) turned out to be entirely different songs to the ones I'd learnt. We spoke on the phone several times and each time I stressed that I didn't do chord charts.

I really don't know why I bothered turning up. Chord chart followed chord chart and it became more and more embarrassing for me and the other band members. We went for a pint afterwards but I didn't even bother asking about the chances of me getting a slot in the band. I really didn't want that burden.
[/quote]

Just as an off topic encouragement... learning to play (get along well enough) basic lines from a chord chart is actually a pretty straightforward skill to learn if you know how to approach it right. I don't ascribe to the "too old to learn" school of thought. A chord sheet is only a high level outline of the basic structure of the song with anchor points/way marks/guide posts.

Have you learned any movable major/minor scales? If you learn the fingering shapes for major, minor, major pentatonic and minor pentatonic you have the building blocks for some easy baseline building. Know the root note of the scale and the notes on the frets on the neck and you can play those scales in any key or to any chord.

Then it's straightforward to start applying the notes and scales to simple chord progressions. A good place to start is country rock ballads by bands like The Eagles. lying eyes, peaceful easy feeling, best of my love. Because the pace is medium paced, the chord changes aren't rapid and the chords are pretty straightforward. Download some chord charts for the songs and try playing along using just the roots a couple of times. That's just learning to follow the chart. Then start throwing in some melodies, lines and runs based on the scale for that particular chord, without necessarily trying to emulate the recorded bass line. You'll quickly start to see how the chord chart, scales and music fit together.

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1490290181' post='3264028']
Anyone else had the situation where you go to an audition, you're the best one in the room and smash it out of the park. And then hear nothing back? I don't remember getting my knob out or taking a sh*t on the floor :)

These guys are old enough to know how to behave (early 60's) but clearly not very professional. Just find it a bit rude.
[/quote]

Auditioned. Heard nothing for about a week and then a call to say I'd probably suit a band where there are less musicians because I was too busy. "but I pretty much played note for note what was on the record. Two of your guys couldn't even play half the stuff you listed to learn. ". ....."yeah well most of the guys thought you were a bit of a prick". " oh ok then . have a nice life". put down the phone.
One week later...ring ring .."hello?" " er yeah. sorry about the last call. kinda got the numbers mixed up and thought you were one of the other guys. We actually wanted you to come back for another audition."
" oh ok . well we we all make mistakes. no harm done ect. so when the next get together?"
" I'm gonna call you in a day or two"
Nothing.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1490348408' post='3264437']
Just as an off topic encouragement... learning to play (get along well enough) basic lines from a chord chart is actually a pretty straightforward skill to learn if you know how to approach it right. I don't ascribe to the "too old to learn" school of thought. A chord sheet is only a high level outline of the basic structure of the song with anchor points/way marks/guide posts.

Have you learned any movable major/minor scales? If you learn the fingering shapes for major, minor, major pentatonic and minor pentatonic you have the building blocks for some easy baseline building. Know the root note of the scale and the notes on the frets on the neck and you can play those scales in any key or to any chord.

Then it's straightforward to start applying the notes and scales to simple chord progressions. A good place to start is country rock ballads by bands like The Eagles. lying eyes, peaceful easy feeling, best of my love. Because the pace is medium paced, the chord changes aren't rapid and the chords are pretty straightforward. Download some chord charts for the songs and try playing along using just the roots a couple of times. That's just learning to follow the chart. Then start throwing in some melodies, lines and runs based on the scale for that particular chord, without necessarily trying to emulate the recorded bass line. You'll quickly start to see how the chord chart, scales and music fit together.
[/quote]

From the very beginning, over 20 years ago, I've learnt my major and minor scales as well as modes, I know them much better than many good friends who are superb musicians 'on the hoof'. I listen to intervals, try to understand chord functions and I've produced and developed good(ish) bass lines from chord charts beforehand.

Given the pressure of performing live with a chord chart my brain melts and I revert to root notes.

But your advice really is appreciated and now that I'm bandless again I will have a go at developing the skill. Sometimes I just think that I haven't got a good ear. Maybe that or I need to learn to relax more.

I once got an email from the bandleader, having spoken to him and emailed previously, and having agreed audition date and material, "we've chosen someone else, he's ok but I'm unhappy we won't get to audition you. I think your previous experience may have intimidated one or two of the band."

I've been rejected from a band before I even got to the audition because I didn't respond to a text within the hour.

Had a phone call with the bandleader and all sounded great and said I would confirm a date to meet up with him after work when I'd had chance to look at my diary. Got a text from him the following morning at about 8am asking to arrange a meet up that week. I was at work and in meetings all day so no chance to look at my calendar and respond. Looked at my phone as I was leaving the office around 5pm to see another text from about 2pm THE SAME DAY saying that "clearly I would be unable to show the band the level of commitment they need so they will look elsewhere for a bass player". All this when I had explained to him that I would be in meetings all day at work and would arrange when I'd had chance to look at my calendar... :blink:

If this was for a worldclass touring artist I'd be a bit more understanding (still a bit peaved but time is money) but this was for a small time function band playing pub gigs and weddings. I'm certainly not going to sit and stare at my phone all day in case I get a text. Think I dodged a bullet with that one, not fond of dealing with divas! :rolleyes:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1490345302' post='3264403']

Unless we're talking signing in with a band with the income of Metallica... a good bass player would be already gigging with another band by the time the second audition came along.[/quote]

Not in Milwaukee.

Bands that have a decent book of business and gig consistanly are impossible to find.

If my band were to fold, I'd never find another band with a decent gig schedule.

And remember being a good bass player has little to do winning an audition.

Most bands are looking for the best people not the best musicians.

Blue

Edited by blue

We have been auditioning recently and have chosen a new guitarist who was far fom the best player we auditioned. Its not only about how you play, but whether the band thinks that you want the same things from the band.

Auditions for originals bands are always bizarre...

I went to one last year for a rocky punky type thing. Learnt all the tracks from a demo they sent me, they were ok, nothing special but lively and fun.

When I turned up it was obvious I was a poor fit. The songs sounded good but I definitely didn't have the image they were after. Fair enough I thought, lets just see it through anyway.

After playing the songs from the demo they decided to "try and catch me out" by playing something I hadn't heard... bit odd I thought but whatever. I asked what key it was in and off we went... again sounded pretty good. I was then told "right this time I'm not telling you the chords" ... erm ok... again it sounded fine. The songs were pretty simple stuff and I worked it out from looking at the guitarists chord shapes what was coming up... following this I was told that I couldn't look at what he was playing anymore and the next track consisted of him standing in the corner so I couldn't see the fretboard... by the time he'd finished and turned round I'd left... 😐

A good fit with a band, on any instrument, can be down to many factors. Style of play, personality, enthusiasm, creativity, appearance, age, etc etc. Covers bands, who by definition do it mainly for fun, tend to look for someone who has a similar outlook and would be fun to be around.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1490526643' post='3265662']
We have been auditioning recently and have chosen a new guitarist who was far fom the best player we auditioned. Its not only about how you play, but whether the band thinks that you want the same things from the band.
[/quote]

Excellent

Blue

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1490532647' post='3265717']

I went to one last year for a rocky punky type thing. Learnt all the tracks from a demo they sent me, they were ok, nothing special but lively and fun.

When I turned up it was obvious I was a poor fit. The songs sounded good but I definitely didn't have the image they were after. Fair enough I thought, lets just see it through anyway.

After playing the songs from the demo they decided to "try and catch me out" by playing something I hadn't heard... bit odd I thought but whatever. I asked what key it was in and off we went... again sounded pretty good. I was then told "right this time I'm not telling you the chords" ... erm ok... again it sounded fine. The songs were pretty simple stuff and I worked it out from looking at the guitarists chord shapes what was coming up... following this I was told that I couldn't look at what he was playing anymore and the next track consisted of him standing in the corner so I couldn't see the fretboard... by the time he'd finished and turned round I'd left...
[/quote]

well done hehe

surprised they didn't ask you to play blindfolded with foam earplugs in your ears too

I went for "a jam" with an original band that were looking for a bassist. They were pretty good, and I quite liked it, but I wanted to make it a bit more interesting. I explained that, and showed them what I meant with my chords and pedals etc. They seemed enthusiastic, kept inviting me back, charging me for the room hire, I think we did 4 or 5 "jams" and by the time I just figured I was a part of it. I never heard from them again! I texted and emailed but heard nothing until I got a random mailshot from them about a gig they were playing

The bassist they actually went with was a much better fit, and a very good player, but it was pretty annoying

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1490605208' post='3266240']
I'd be immediately wary of a band that charged you room hire for auditioning or that didn't make a decision if you were in the band or not after a couple of jams.
[/quote]

Indeed! Lesson learned :) Thankfully I'll not be auditioning any time soon

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1490532647' post='3265717']

After playing the songs from the demo they decided to "try and catch me out" by playing something I hadn't heard... bit odd I thought but whatever. I asked what key it was in and off we went... again sounded pretty good. I was then told "right this time I'm not telling you the chords" ... erm ok... again it sounded fine. The songs were pretty simple stuff and I worked it out from looking at the guitarists chord shapes what was coming up... following this I was told that I couldn't look at what he was playing anymore and the next track consisted of him standing in the corner so I couldn't see the fretboard... by the time he'd finished and turned round I'd left... 😐
[/quote]

That's what I do. I play guitar too, so pick up the structure/chords from watching the guitarist's left hand. Why he thought it was wrong for you to do so, Gawd knows. Would expect him to be pleased you are someone who uses his loaf.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1490614487' post='3266389']
That's what I do. I play guitar too, so pick up the structure/chords from watching the guitarist's left hand. Why he thought it was wrong for you to do so, Gawd knows. Would expect him to be pleased you are someone who uses his loaf.
[/quote]

Yes quite... I've played enough guitar to recognize the open chord shapes, so by watching you can kind of see in advance what the next chord is... capos catch me out though :blink:

I think to be honest they were trying to find a reason to not give me the gig besides "You're too fat, too bald and your bass has too many strings" ... :blink:

I suspect the next song would have required me to stand outside the rehearsal room so I couldn't hear the drummer... :mellow: