Why become a member? ×

Weird Audition

pbasspecial

Anyone else had the situation where you go to an audition, you're the best one in the room and smash it out of the park. And then hear nothing back? I don't remember getting my knob out or taking a sh*t on the floor :)

These guys are old enough to know how to behave (early 60's) but clearly not very professional. Just find it a bit rude.

It could be that by being the best in the room, you showed up their shortcomings and they don't want to be shown up.

As you say though, an email, text or phone call costs nothing, as does politeness and Courtesy. The latter these days is so rare, it should be considered a superpower.

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1490290181' post='3264028'] I don't remember getting my knob out or taking a sh*t on the floor . [/quote]

Maybe they thought that if you can't even remember that, you'd probably struggle memorising the set list.

Is the band in question advertising on Gumtree?:

[url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-string-instruments/bass-player-needed-for-rock-covers-band.-south-herts-area.-/1224998820"]https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-string-instruments/bass-player-needed-for-rock-covers-band.-south-herts-area.-/1224998820[/url]

A friend of mine auditioned but heard nothing from them afterwards.

I went to one where they conceded I was the best they had auditioned but unfortunately another guy liked Guns and Roses more than me so he got the gig....which was fine other than the band didn't actually play any Guns and Roses songs!

They had the audacity to ring me up a couple of weeks later and ask if I would dep for them on weekend gigs because the new guy worked most weekends....I politely declined

Quick update: just sent them a text saying I thought I might of heard back by now. So the singer phones back and says flaking sorry but I forgot to call, you were the best one so far but we have another audition in 3 weeks. It's probably yours, etc.

Had to laugh, the arrogance of amateurs. I was the best player, easy to get on with, played with passion (their words) but we want to keep our options open. It's like getting 20 at blackjack and twisting for 21!

I have 3 better offers! :)

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1490293246' post='3264072']
Quick update: just sent them a text saying I thought I might of heard back by now. So the singer phones back and says flaking sorry but I forgot to call, you were the best one so far but we have another audition in 3 weeks. It's probably yours, etc.

Had to laugh, the arrogance of amateurs. I was the best player, easy to get on with, played with passion (their words) but we want to keep our options open. It's like getting 20 at blackjack and twisting for 21!

I have 3 better offers! :)
[/quote]

Did you know or ask anything about they're decision making process and when they would be making a decision prior to your audition?

Blue

Stupidly I didn't really ask about the decision making process as they were super keen to get me down to the first audition (I wanted to delay as I had man flu -which they knew I had). I assumed they it would be a yeah or nah within 24 hours.

When I have auditioned people in previous projects, I have let people know straight away, especially the good ones because you don't want them going cold on you for no reason,

Just realised that we are a lot more professional than 95% of the bands out there.

Finding bass players is tough for musicians, finding decent ones is tougher. You'd think that bands would understand/appreciate that by now.

Edited by pbasspecial

[quote name='pbasspecial' timestamp='1490296892' post='3264128']
Stupidly I didn't really ask about the decision making process as they were super keen to get me down to the first audition
[/quote]

Bands can easily tell us what they want to do. We want to record a CD, we want to gig, ext...

I always say it's better bet and more realistic to have a clear understanding of what a band has done or successfully accomplished.

Then are those accomplishnents aligned with what you as an individual are looking for in a band.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've always been told within few days and only time i didn't get it i already new.
When i was setting up my gear at the audition the band were quite happy to tell me the guy just before me was ideal for the job and would fit in really well.
Bit of a damper for me and i kinda lost interest and thought they were a bunch of arrogant twats.
They did however contact me a year later to ask if i was still interested as the guy they picked left for another band.
I enjoyed telling them where to go and why.

Courtesy costs nothing and most bands i've auditioned with have been straight up front and let me know there and then i had the job.

I'm not the best bass player in the world but i am generally well liked socially and always respect people for who they are so i guess that always helps.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I'd expect to be told there and then if I fitted.

Whenever I've auditioned people I've taken the first person who ticked enough of the boxes that matter.

Another audition in 3 weeks? The other guy must be really keen and available then :rolleyes:

I agree, you usually know there and then or have a strong indication but it was just the apathy, lack of feedback, especially when you know you did a good job.

I wouldn't have joined if asked. It was like getting a knock back from an ugly girl. Very confusing and what you really want to say to say is how dare you, you'd be f'ing lucky for me to have you! ;)

Those that follow ny posts know I never audition for bands that are auditioning friends of the band

It's not a bad thing, however friend's often will win over the better bass player.

I lost out to a guy that admittedly didn't bother to learn the audition material, but he was a good friend of the guitarist.

Lucky for me, turned out the band rarely had gigs. They ended up letting the other guy go because he did not have reliable transportation.

Blue

Edited by blue

I did a rehearsal/audition with a local country band where the previous bass player turned up with all his gear half way though because when, at the previous gig when he'd had a flounce, thrown toys out of the pram and announced that he was fed up with the band and didn't want anything to do with them any more... they'd actually taken him seriously...

That was a bit awkward...

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1490305176' post='3264246']
I'd expect to be told there and then if I fitted.

Whenever I've auditioned people I've taken the first person who ticked enough of the boxes that matter.

Another audition in 3 weeks? The other guy must be really keen and available then :rolleyes:
[/quote]

We've never told people "there and then", because we want to have a chat among ourselves first.

But we always contact them within a day or so. If it's the right person, then why wait. If it's not the right person, why delay? Once you find someone who fits, that's it.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1490310467' post='3264291']
I did a rehearsal/audition with a local country band where the previous bass player turned up with all his gear half way though because when, at the previous gig when he'd had a flounce, thrown toys out of the pram and announced that he was fed up with the band and didn't want anything to do with them any more... they'd actually taken him seriously...

That was a bit awkward...
[/quote]

:lol:

and that's why you never quit a band in anger.

I had a girlfriend once who was a bit unstable... the first time we had a disagreement (it wasn't even a big thing) she hinted at breaking up. I was very sad. We made up, and things carried on ok. Soon it became clear that she'd use the threat of leaving me as a weapon everytime she'd be upset at something. When things were good they were very good and I was crazy about her, so I tolerated it for a while hoping for a change. I told her it was not a good thing to do, saying she wants to break up, unless she means it. Especially because after the third time it only serves to annoy me rather than controlling me. One day she was angry and she 'broke up' with me again. I just looked at her in the eye and said "yeah, I think that's the best we can do". The look in her face was priceless. She said she didn't really mean it. However I did.
There are so many similarities between bands and relationships... and throwing tantrums and insulting a band and walking out saying they're over seems to be something that happens from time to time. Crazy.

Never make a serious decision while angry. Calm down, and then sharpen your axe slowly while you ponder about which limbs to cut off first :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1490315707' post='3264318']

We've never told people "there and then", because we want to have a chat among ourselves first.

But we always contact them within a day or so. If it's the right person, then why wait. If it's not the right person, why delay? Once you find someone who fits, that's it.
[/quote]

I had to audition 3 times before I was offered the job as bass guitarist with my current band of 5 years.

IMO, if your offered the job on the spot, chances are you haven't been offered much.

Blue

I auditioned for a punk band to play at a party.

They wrote a song called Burn Bragford Burn, it was soon after the tragedy, very poor taste, but hey they were 'punk'.

So I went to the first jam, they showed me their ten originals.

Next jam, I was the ONLY one who knew their songs lol

"I'll give you a clue, YOU WROTE IT!"

I refused to play the party, they begged me, "nup I have too much pride in my performance to play with you."

"wear a bag on yer head so no one will know it's you........"

so it was the first time the BAND failed the audition haha

Auditioning for bands is a weird process, but starting a band and trying to get musicians to audition for you is even more weird! :blink:

However, as the OP rightly points out, good communications cost nothing and often make the difference between feeling that you want to be part of something or walking away - possibly to the mutual loss of both parties.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1490315707' post='3264318']

[/quote]

In that case you just ask the person to wait while you chat. When you're negotiating contracts at work that's perfectly acceptable to have private chats before sealing any deals.