Why become a member? ×

Bass hygiene

Twincam

Picked up a bass. Disgusting strings and manky fretboard. Not the worst I've seen but still a bit gross. Totally unadjusted truss rod too.
Why would anyone not change strings or not clean the bass every now and then.
I certainly wouldn't sell a bass in such condition.

Last year I bought a bass that no joke I had to put bleach on the neck to get the stink out. Dried it very carefully and oiled it after, it was fine. But you should of seen the sh*t that came out of the neck wood it ruined multiple tea towels (gf was not amused lol)

Oh and I once had to scrap the sh*t off an epiphone fretboard once too. bork!

In my younger years I never looked after my bass, it was gunk-city - or even gunk-sub-continent - on the fretboard/bridge. I`m now the other way, I change my strings every month and clean the bass at the same time.

I try to make sure my hands are broadly clean before I play (i.e. Not having just scoffed some greasy burger etc).

But sometimes a really sweaty hot gig will kill my strings and leave the bass all smeared with forearm sweat.

In which case, damp cloth all over bass, new strings and a quick lemon oil of fretboard for good measure usually puts things right.

I've had a few secondhand basses with verdigris on the fretboard and green mank around the frets.

Sorted with careful use of a sharp knife and a few baby wipes.

I bought one 2nd hand bass that had smell of cigerette smoke and it took several cleans to finally get rid of it but other than that one i've not had any bad experiences.
I completely clean top to bottom when i change strings and usually wipe the bass down during and after a gig especially if sweating. Like to keep the neck and strings dry and clean when playing.

Dave

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1490430012' post='3265045']
Wire wool is good on Warwick frets - I find Dettox spray good for cleaning off dirt
[/quote]

I tend to use a little bit of brasso wadding (use to be duraglit) on my warwick frets. Not heavy hande but just enough to clean them as they do dull down and tarnish a bit.
Luthier in Edinburgh at McIntyre Guitars told me to use Briwax on my Thumb NT instead of warwick beeswax as it isn't sticky and gives a nice clean and smooth polish.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1490430181' post='3265047']
I bought one 2nd hand bass that had smell of cigerette smoke and it took several cleans to finally get rid of it but other than that one i've not had any bad experiences.
I completely clean top to bottom when i change strings and usually wipe the bass down during and after a gig especially if sweating. Like to keep the neck and strings dry and clean when playing.
[/quote]

Me too. Mine still smells of ash tray on hot days.

Luckily my hands don't get sweaty when gigging, which means I don't have to change my strings very often, or scrape muck off my fretboard. But my brother-in-law has toxic, acid dripping off his fingers. I let him play my bass for 5 mins and when I got it back the strings felt like they've been covered with a mix of treacle and sand.......disgusting!

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1490431989' post='3265065']
Some people think it's cool to not look after their guitars, kind of a "relic" vibe.[/quote]

True...the famous quote.."the funk is in the gunk"...by James Jamerson, springs to mind. Personally, I'm with the OP here. I can't understand why/how people let so much gunk build up.

I bought a Yamaha lead guitar (just to noodle on a couple of bits) and it was described as needing work as it wouldn't stay in tune so was a price reasonable for its condition. The tuning was simple to fix and turned out to just be loose tremolo springs allowing the bridge to rise as you tuned it. But the fretboard was something else, each fret had six dimples in a sea of grot. It must have been a couple of millimetres thick in places and you could see a line in it where the string touched. It was gross. I used a spray foam cleaner designed for car dashboards. It worked a treat but the first couple of sprays went from white to brown in a quite revolting way! As I said it was cheap so I was happy to do the work and with a quick dress down and a good reoil it is looking as good as new, if not better.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1490436095' post='3265103']
Luckily my hands don't get sweaty when gigging, which means I don't have to change my strings very often, or scrape muck off my fretboard. But my brother-in-law has toxic, acid dripping off his fingers. I let him play my bass for 5 mins and when I got it back the strings felt like they've been covered with a mix of treacle and sand.......disgusting!
[/quote]

My wife is the same. I went over to Elixirs on our acoustic guitars because it was just too dispiriting to change our strings, put nice shiny pros bronze strings on and watch as she picked it up, played one G chord and put the guitar down with dull brown marks across the strings in a perfect neck grab and G chord position...

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1490431626' post='3265060']
You put bleach on the fretboard/neck of a bass. ??!!
[/quote]

Oh yeah! Zero bad effects so far too. I will say that this was a old bass and not worth much and it had a ski jump in the neck anyhow. I wouldn't do it on any bass but then again the stink from the fretboard was extreme! And I had tried everything else. The wood came up really nice after being re oiled.

When I was younger (and had fewer basses) I would spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing my basses. Life is busier now and I'm not nearly as diligent about cleaning or even changing strings.

That said, I still rotate through the arsenal regularly and make sure everything is relatively clean and in working order. If a bass is filthy or in unplayable condition, why have it? There is a certain level of stewardship required in owning a musical instrument, IMO.

As far as selling an instrument goes, I would never put a bass up for sale without first cleaning and polishing it, giving it a fresh set of strings and doing a full setup. It's just common sense: you'll get a better return from a bass that looks and plays great than you will from a bass that looks like it was dragged through a swamp behind a tractor.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1490453171' post='3265249']
On the fretboards i use similar alcohol wipes to those used in hospitals. They can be used on skin too. They clean away all the greasy deposits and then i normally use a bit of linseed oil on the board.
[/quote]
I used to use alcohol, but it tends to dry fingerboards out. I would guess that the wipes don't saturate it enough for it to be much of a problem, though.

My method of choice is naphtha (lighter fluid) and a soft toothbrush followed by a couple of drops of pure lemon oil.

As we are on the subject of fretboard cleaning...has anyone tried "Gorgomite" ? It claims to clean both fretboard and frets...[i]at the same time !![/i] This eliminates the need for masking the board when cleaning the frets ?

http://gorgomyte.com/index.html

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1490430181' post='3265047']

Dave
[/quote]

I bought a Wal in terrible condition - opened the case to an almighty stench of stale tobacco - pretty much indicative of how the bass had been looked after - needless to say it went back to the previous owner (in much better condition).

Last year I saw a Squier P Bass in a charity shop, it absolutely reeked of curry. Even for the asking price of 80 Euro, I would have to get it home, disassemble it, clean it and fit new strings. The smell put me off. One can only speculate on the standard of hygiene in the previous owners house/flat/bedsit.